Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"It all evens itself up over the Season"

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Much is made of bad luck, last minute goals and poor refs. So thought i'd keep a log of the + and - moments of the year to see if things really do even themselves up over the course of the Season.

So far...

- Last minute goal against Leeds that was clearly handball.
- Having the ball in the net 3 times v Newport, having 2 chalked off, one of which was onside.
- Calderon red card, that undoubtedly changed that game.
- Handball in the wall v Derby that should have given us peno to go 2-1 up.

+ Erm struggling to see anything right now...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Much is made of bad luck, last minute goals and poor refs. So thought i'd keep a log of the + and - moments of the year to see if things really do even themselves up over the course of the Season.

So far...

- Having the ball in the net 3 times v Newport, having 2 chalked off, one of which was onside.

Good thread.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Calderon red was 'bad luck'. The ref called it as he saw it, a 50-50 challenge.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Good thread.

I wouldn't necessarily say that the Calderon red was 'bad luck'. The ref called it as he saw it, a 50-50 challenge.

I'd say it was bad luck, considering the FA have since said that it wasn't worthy of a red card.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

So far...

- Ulloa's TOWERING header coming back off the inside of the post.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good thread.

It was bad luck that the referee quite clearly made the wrong decision, in the opposition's favour. Calderon shouldn't have been sent off.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
We are due a shed-load of dubious decisions from officials going in our favour.

Perhaps Andy D’Urso would care to explain to us how the handball in the box, from Spanish Dave’s free-kick, was not worthy of a penalty. The Derby player raised both arms and parried the ball away. Had he been a goalkeeper, his deflection of the ball, diverting it away from the goal and towards the corner flag, would have been considered a great save.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
We will always naturally tend to overlook/forget a lot of the things that go in our favour so it's never going to be completely accurate.

Lots of Leeds fans commented on Ulloa's goal being offside, is that right? Haven't seen a clip of it that shows it either way as the camera seems to be a bit slow to keep up with our lightning break.

The penalty that wasn't against Derby was in the first half at 1-0, so we could have gone 2-0 up rather than 2-1, which would have made a big difference to the second half.

Do believe we'll get plenty in our favour over the season so threads like this will just make us look like whiny crybabies while we're losing!

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
We will always naturally tend to overlook/forget a lot of the things that go in our favour so it's never going to be completely accurate.

Lots of Leeds fans commented on Ulloa's goal being offside, is that right? Haven't seen a clip of it that shows it either way as the camera seems to be a bit slow to keep up with our lightning break.

The penalty that wasn't against Derby was in the first half at 1-0, so we could have gone 2-0 up rather than 2-1, which would have made a big difference to the second half.

Do believe we'll get plenty in our favour over the season so threads like this will just make us look like whiny crybabies while we're losing!

Let's hope people contribute when it goes our way too!

- Derby's first goal bounced off Greer (?) and Martin twice, fell to Martin, Upson slid in and it got deflected over Kuszczak. Seems like a series of unfortunate events to me!

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
Let's hope people contribute when it goes our way too!

- Derby's first goal bounced off Greer (?) and Martin twice, fell to Martin, Upson slid in and it got deflected over Kuszczak. Seems like a series of unfortunate events to me!

Yep, the idea would be that people see and comment when we get a slice of luck come our way too.

No clear evidence either on the Ulloa offside at Leeds, apart from the fact the Football before it was so flair that it could be said we made our own luck there.

SeagullSongs

Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Yep, the idea would be that people see and comment when we get a slice of luck come our way too.

No clear evidence either on the Ulloa offside at Leeds, apart from the fact the Football before it was so flair that it could be said we made our own luck there.

Yep, it was off-screen and there was only footage from one camera released, so we'll probably never know. Judging by the position he was in when he actually struck it, I find it difficult to see how he could've been offside.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Derby equalised in the 27th minute. The free kick that was blocked by hands in the area was in the 39th minute. It was 1-1 when we should have had a penalty.

A positive for this season:
Ulloa didn't get sent off for hitting a derby player in the face. I missed it, but a friend said the derby playr slapped him in the face while he was on the ground, but I saw Ulloa reached up and hit the derby player in the face, fortunately the lino was the other side, and the ref was busy with the free kick he just awarded, so neither really saw it and he (and martin?) only got yellows.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It was bad luck that the referee quite clearly made the wrong decision, in the opposition's favour. Calderon shouldn't have been sent off.

No disputing that, but a 10 man Championship team should still be better than full strength League 2 newcomer.

JBenno

Jun 29, 2011
Upper Beeding
On Saturday I am fairly sure I watched agustein shove a derby player twice. both hands raised. D'isgrace let it go as he'd been fouled first

Think he was pushing the Derby player out of the way as said player was trying to stop him taking the free kick quickly by standing in front of the ball. So Derby player could have easily been booked for that too....

Yes, this will only work if we allow opposition fans to fill in their "bad luck" because we sure as hell won't be any less than one-eyed about it. Derby players complained very loudly that Ulloa simulated for the free kick that led to the hand-ball shout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here