Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sold your soul to the devil or progression

half groat

Aug 12, 2013
New to the board and new to the club. The Derby game was my first Brighton game as I've moved to the area and decided to support the local team and be a season ticket holder. I've come away with mixed emotions because watching Brighton turned out to be a unique experience compared to other football league clubs, I'm still unsure if the differences are good or bad. To get it off my chest I will list the differences and perhaps someone can let me know if it has always been this way or is the move the Amex the reason?

1. All other football league clubs I've been to still have a clear working class support. Not evident at Brighton. Has this always been the way. My memories of the Goldstone was a typical bleak ground with concrete terracing and corrugated roof. I couldn't imagine half of the supporters I saw feeling comfortable in those surroundings and so have you attracted a big chunk of newer cricket/rugby/middle class/prawn sandwich/whatever you want to call them type of supporters?
2. From speaking to the people around me I couldn't find anyone born and bread in Brighton and so had Albion in their blood. Seems to be a lot of tourist supporters like me who have adopted Brighton as their second club. This is good for revenue, but surely part of the passion and soul of the club is eroded away. They will never care about the club as someone who has only supported the one club all their life. Fair play to those that do.
3. Lack of passion. I couldn't believe how many people I saw walking away from the stadium who had a smile on their face and were just continuing as though nothing bad had just happened. Surely if you cared about the club a loss would seriously p*ss you off for the weekend, kick the cat etc. Probably all to do with points one and two.
4. The stadium is amazing, but everything seems a bit too sanitised. Going to the Albion is clearly a safe and welcoming place for families, but is it at the price of losing the traditional football experience. Growing up I am glad I experienced football a bit more rougher around the edges, but at the same time I am a hypocrite because I would rather my kids went to the safer, sanitised Brighton. Not sure if the change is a good thing.
5. I've seen on other threads about issues with swearing at the ground. Firstly I was amazed how little swearing I heard compared to my club or any other I've been to. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways. If you want to attract the new type of supporters then you have got to accept the loss of the more edgier side of the support. Again, not sure if the change is a good thing.
6. The marketing is the biggest eye opener for anybody going to Brighton when compared to most other FL clubs. Never seen so many men/women wearing replica shirts. That is frowned upon at a lot of clubs, but I suppose once again it gets away from the association with the old days of football violence and suits your new image and coffers for the club. Never seen so many people drinking so early before the game in the ground. Obviously this is due to the location of the Amex, but even so it is very impressive when you consider the amount of match day revenue you gain compared to other clubs.

So, my question is, have you consciously sold your soul to the devil and changed from a typically rougher football club in the name of money and progress or were Brighton always a cut above the rest?

That's my lot. Not sure if anybody is interested or cares about my views. As I've admitted I'm not real Albion and so wont get ideas above my station making too many comments on here, but for good or bad me and my kids will be supporting the team. The football played way an eye opener, but I will keep that too myself. Finally a personal wish. Please tell me that the shouting of oooh you're shit arrrrr when the keeper kicks the ball is a one off on Saturday. It is so cringing to hear as it was stopped about 20 year ago because it was old hat and childish. The Derby supporters were cracking up when they heard the North Stand doing it. Presume it was kids, but even so, very embarrassing. I know I shouldn't slag the support off, but I would do the same with whoever shouted that, it's just wrong.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Palace troll. You can only dream of attendance's like ours.

276843_161596390576834_5204921_n.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Half groat = Half mind

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
1. Bullcrap there's massive working class support. Are you looking for flat caps and chirpy accents or what?

2. Sussex mate, not just Brighton

3. Have you really been to any other clubs?

4. It's new, what do you want, a s*** hole?

5. I can't be bothered with this post anymore

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
New to the board and new to the club. The Derby game was my first Brighton game as I've moved to the area and decided to support the local team and be a season ticket holder. I've come away with mixed emotions because watching Brighton turned out to be a unique experience compared to other football league clubs, I'm still unsure if the differences are good or bad. To get it off my chest I will list the differences and perhaps someone can let me know if it has always been this way or is the move the Amex the reason?

1. All other football league clubs I've been to still have a clear working class support. Not evident at Brighton. Has this always been the way. My memories of the Goldstone was a typical bleak ground with concrete terracing and corrugated roof. I couldn't imagine half of the supporters I saw feeling comfortable in those surroundings and so have you attracted a big chunk of newer cricket/rugby/middle class/prawn sandwich/whatever you want to call them type of supporters?
2. From speaking to the people around me I couldn't find anyone born and bread in Brighton and so had Albion in their blood. Seems to be a lot of tourist supporters like me who have adopted Brighton as their second club. This is good for revenue, but surely part of the passion and soul of the club is eroded away. They will never care about the club as someone who has only supported the one club all their life. Fair play to those that do.
3. Lack of passion. I couldn't believe how many people I saw walking away from the stadium who had a smile on their face and were just continuing as though nothing bad had just happened. Surely if you cared about the club a loss would seriously p*ss you off for the weekend, kick the cat etc. Probably all to do with points one and two.
4. The stadium is amazing, but everything seems a bit too sanitised. Going to the Albion is clearly a safe and welcoming place for families, but is it at the price of losing the traditional football experience. Growing up I am glad I experienced football a bit more rougher around the edges, but at the same time I am a hypocrite because I would rather my kids went to the safer, sanitised Brighton. Not sure if the change is a good thing.
5. I've seen on other threads about issues with swearing at the ground. Firstly I was amazed how little swearing I heard compared to my club or any other I've been to. Unfortunately you can't have it both ways. If you want to attract the new type of supporters then you have got to accept the loss of the more edgier side of the support. Again, not sure if the change is a good thing.
6. The marketing is the biggest eye opener for anybody going to Brighton when compared to most other FL clubs. Never seen so many men/women wearing replica shirts. That is frowned upon at a lot of clubs, but I suppose once again it gets away from the association with the old days of football violence and suits your new image and coffers for the club. Never seen so many people drinking so early before the game in the ground. Obviously this is due to the location of the Amex, but even so it is very impressive when you consider the amount of match day revenue you gain compared to other clubs.

So, my question is, have you consciously sold your soul to the devil and changed from a typically rougher football club in the name of money and progress or were Brighton always a cut above the rest?

That's my lot. Not sure if anybody is interested or cares about my views. As I've admitted I'm not real Albion and so wont get ideas above my station making too many comments on here, but for good or bad me and my kids will be supporting the team. The football played way an eye opener, but I will keep that too myself. Finally a personal wish. Please tell me that the shouting of oooh you're shit arrrrr when the keeper kicks the ball is a one off on Saturday. It is so cringing to hear as it was stopped about 20 year ago because it was old hat and childish. The Derby supporters were cracking up when they heard the North Stand doing it. Presume it was kids, but even so, very embarrassing. I know I shouldn't slag the support off, but I would do the same with whoever shouted that, it's just wrong.

For this, and this alone, ban the mo-fo.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Did you go to the Withdean, or indeed know anything about out recent history?

Because if you did and do I can't imagine you would have written any of that.

Or your a Palace troll. Either way your coming from a point of ignorance.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Love the ooooorrrrr your shit aaarrrrrrrr myself.

Mainly because it is childish and old hat.......like the traditional football experience.

These prawn sandwhich types who flit from one club to another know nothing.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

:lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

You tell me ONE club in the WORLD that would frown on fans wearing replica shirts

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here