4.1% Rail Fare Increase - January 2014

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Justified or taking the piss big time ?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Taking the piss big time - how much further can they rise before people make a stand? Only reason they do it is because they know the majority of people have no choice but to use them

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Can we not just roll out the thread from last year or the year before?

The general consensus will be it's going to cost people more money so it's not justified as the service hasn't got any better.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Taking the piss ! Will now cost me nearly £5.5k a year to get to work. Actually considering if its really worth it.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Taking the piss big time - how much further can they rise before people make a stand? Only reason they do it is because they know the majority of people have no choice but to use them
That's the trouble - we don't have a choice. I don't own a car and I haven't commuted to work by car since 1996. I just wish the people who DO have cars would use them instead of lazily and selfishly taking up spaces on the trains. How much effort does it take to drive somewhere for crying out loud?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
That's the trouble - we don't have a choice. I don't own a car and I haven't commuted to work by car since 1996. I just wish the people who DO have cars would use them instead of lazily and selfishly taking up spaces on the trains. How much effort does it take to drive somewhere for crying out loud?
Not really an option if you work in London is it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The UK has the highest rail fares, incredibly poor punctuality and over-crowding, the most complicated ticketing ever invented (most of which seems to be shrouded in secrecy and to identify the cheapest ticket you need to have the mind of Alan Turing), and when the going gets tough (or in fact just mildly difficult) they roll down the shutters and wave the white flag. And they want a further inflation busting increase. Of course it's a joke.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I pay £2,400 a year to get to work at the moment. Soon I'll be moving and that'll go to over £3,500. It's madness. I wouldn't mind if the service was justifiable, but I never get a seat, there's about 6000 people squashed into each carriage and it's constantly delayed or cancelled. Unfortunately I have no other way to get to work (I commute three hours a day) so I'm stuck with it. A 4.1% increase isn't fair at all, but they know I, like many others, will simply have to pay it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Taking the piss ! Will now cost me nearly £5.5k a year to get to work. Actually considering if its really worth it.

You will spend 5.5 a year just getting to work? Jeeeez. no matter how much I was paid I would find it very difficult to hand over that kind of money to a railway company. Where do you travel to and from?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Has Paul Barber started working on the railways?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You will spend 5.5 a year just getting to work? Jeeeez. no matter how much I was paid I would find it very difficult to hand over that kind of money to a railway company. Where do you travel to and from?

From Worthing to London (including travel card.) Rail increases are now significantly over taking pay rises and increases that previously covered my travel. *just checked if I renew by the end of December it will be £5k, but still...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
40% increase in 6 years, in which time wages have gone up by 15%.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Rail increases are now significantly over taking pay rises.

This is the crux of it, for me.

In real terms, this increase is going to hit the pocket quite hard for many commuters. I'm actively looking for jobs outside London, just so I don't have to endure the rail companies on a daily basis.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Pride? We can cope. We'll just shut Preston Park station
A concert at the Amex? No problem. Falmer is now closed to anyone wanting to get on.

Fantastic service. Well worth an inflation busting increase. Never mind their every crappy level of service.

The privatisation chickens are now coming home to roost. The same goes for Thames Water and their proposed £30 a year hike. It really ought to debunk the myth that it doesn't matter whether or not public utilities are in private or public hands. At least if they are publicly run, there are no shareholders to service because the people ARE the shareholders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here