Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pork Pies - Would they survive a 24-hour flight ?

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I fly back to Australia on Thursday .
In the past 4 weeks I've spent on & off in the UK I've become quite partial to pork pies ,
in particular , 'Sainsburys Mini Melton Mowbray Pork Pies' .
With English mustard they're the perfect accompaniment to a beer or 2 .
With a decent expiry date (say 3 - 5 days) would these little porkers survive a 24-hour flight with no refrigeration ?
I'm not intending to take them in to Oz - you can't , Customs won't let them in the country .
I'm just looking to consume a couple of 6-packs between Gatwick & Sydney .

What's the verdict ?
Will I be able to look forward to my plane journey in anticipation of this forthcoming porkfest
or is the risk of food poisoning too high to contemplate such a feat ?

All thoughts , insights or experiences on this matter , entertaining or otherwise , would be warmly appreciated - thankyou .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
They will be fine!

Gluteus Maximus

Jul 10, 2003
Trumpton
I did Asda Scotch Eggs on a warm day back to Denmark a few years ago and after 10 hours in my warm bag and eating them 2 days later I won't bore you with the consequences - but it was messy and required a doctor's visit.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I did a reply to this but it just disappeared when I hit the button.

I just wondered if you'd be OK with soft-packed goods as far as Australian customs was concerned. When we went to Sydney last Oct we were laden down with Wilkins conserves and Marmite on the assumption that anything less than a tin or a jar would upset them.

(And there's a thought of Old England - Wilkins marmalade... you can buy it in Sydney but it costs a fortune)

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
You can get a cool bag to go in your hand luggage, I use them to keep my food/drinks cool when out on an all day epic in the mountains. Not sure if you can fly with them and food though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You can get a cool bag to go in your hand luggage, I use them to keep my food/drinks cool when out on an all day epic in the mountains. Not sure if you can fly with them and food though.

A small cool-bag in your hand luggage would be fine, as would the pies within it. Drinks fine too, so long as purchased air-side.

I wouldn't imagine that you'd be allowed an ice-pack though. The contents would presumably flout the 100ml liquids rule.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Places like Australia and the US have strict rules on what food stuffs you can / cannot take in and have sniffer dogs patrolling the international arrivals hall, so I'd double check what you are allowed to take in before buying.

I think they are especially sensitive about fresh goods like fruit but would hate to see those pork pies wasted.

I recall Mrs SoC was fretting on arrival at Sydney airport because the were warnings posted everywhere and she had an opened jar of Marmite :sick:in her hand luggage. She spotted the sniffer dog heading for her when luckily it got distracted by a backpacker who had a bag of oranges and we got waived through. Ha ha.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I really think it depends on an individual's constitution in cases like this. For example I have sadly learnt over the last couple of years that I can't handle rich pork at all.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I fly back to Australia on Thursday .
In the past 4 weeks I've spent on & off in the UK I've become quite partial to pork pies ,
in particular , 'Sainsburys Mini Melton Mowbray Pork Pies' .
With English mustard they're the perfect accompaniment to a beer or 2 .
With a decent expiry date (say 3 - 5 days) would these little porkers survive a 24-hour flight with no refrigeration ?
I'm not intending to take them in to Oz - you can't , Customs won't let them in the country .
I'm just looking to consume a couple of 6-packs between Gatwick & Sydney .

What's the verdict ?
Will I be able to look forward to my plane journey in anticipation of this forthcoming porkfest
or is the risk of food poisoning too high to contemplate such a feat ?

All thoughts , insights or experiences on this matter , entertaining or otherwise , would be warmly appreciated - thankyou .

Just ask one of the crew if you can stick them in the onboard fridge. If they say no, start crying. If they have any heart they will relent!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A small cool-bag in your hand luggage would be fine, as would the pies within it. Drinks fine too, so long as purchased air-side.

I wouldn't imagine that you'd be allowed an ice-pack though. The contents would presumably flout the 100ml liquids rule.

But if it's frozen, it wouldn't be liquid

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
12 pork pies? Just how fat are you?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
How about rolling the freezer bag and food into one neat solution? Freeze some of the pork pies - say four of the twelve (having wrapped them individually in foil) - then pack them en mass with the unfrozen in a zip top polythene bag. The frozen ones will keep the unfrozen ones cool and will be defrosted by the time you have finished the unfrozen ones.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here