Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hip Hop is 40 years old this week

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I think that my hips have way too much hopped these days for that sort of thing

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
It's such a diverse genre, it's impossible (for me) to say.

But, Aesop Rock, Jurassic 5, Eminem, Nas, Foreign Beggas, Chiddy Bang and Tupac are my most played.

Fairly new school.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
Oh, not forgetting Just Ice ( not especially a great mc, more that he and Mantronik made a couple of the best rap tunes of that time- as my moniker states!)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The other day i saw a fat girl with a tee shirt that had "I love the hip hop" printed on it.....i reckon the 'C' and 'S' had fallen off it.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The other day i saw a fat girl with a tee shirt that had "I love the hip hop" printed on it.....i reckon the 'C' and 'S' had fallen off it.

:) I'll be stealing that, the first time the opportunity arises.

A nice old school mix of Rnb/hiphop...I even like the French hiphop on this mix (shudder at the thought)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/hthyw4
1hr 15m 13s

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Public Enemy shone and spoke the loudest for me. Watching the documentaries about hip hop and seeing how Public Enemy jammed with noises and synths and beats for an age before picking out the nanosecond for them to loop and rip it on top of had me add a new layer of artistic appreciation to some of the great walls of sound they sometimes created and had me hooked. I adored them in my early teens, probably seeing them 13 times overall in and around Brighton and London. A sweet memory of mine is seeing them somewhere in east London for Fear of a Black Planet tour my friend with me just going absolutely mental when Terrordome kicked things off, his arms and legs simply disconnected and flailing for perhaps 3 embarrassing minutes before he came back down to earth, nodding inexpressively with an air of faux cool from then on. **** me ragged what an opening to their performance that was though.

Never got the chance to see them, but for UK stuff Hardnoise still have me for Untitled. That just poundingly hurt.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Gil Scott-Heron for The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.

Interesting point, as this pre-dates the gig mentioned in the original post by 3 years. But I guess this is rap as opposed to hip-hop.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And the clue to where you could probably argue it all began is in the first sentence of that piece...

On August 11, 1973, in the rec room in an unassuming brick apartment building at 1520 Sedgwick Avenue, hard by the Major Deegan Expressway, a 16-year-old Jamaican immigrant changed pop music forever.

Here's an excerpt from another article...

Afika Bambaata, Kool Herc, and Grandmaster Flash, are three legends of hip-hop. They are looked as the founding fathers. Kool Herc, is the only one out of the three that gives credit to his Jamaican roots for his early development of break spinning. "Hip-hop….the whole chemistry of that came from Jamaica…..In Jamaica all you needed was a drum and a bass. So what I did was go right to the ‘yoke’. I cut off all the anticipation and just played the beats. I’d find out where the break in the record was and prolonged it and people would love it. So I was giving them their own taste and beat percussion wise….cause my music is all about heavy bass."

Of course, you can keep going back forever, and that's what makes all musical history from every single genre so interesting, and music itself so wonderful.

SJ's Love Monkey

Ambrose-ia
Feb 8, 2005
Just chuckling at Charlton
1520 Sedgwick Avenue on the Cross Bronx Expressway was the home of the first hip hop parties, led by the Godfather of Hip Hop a 6ft 5 Jamaican called Clive Campbell aka DJ Kool Herc. It was said his sound system was the one guys like Grandmaster Flash and Afrikaa Bambaataa aspired to. Happy 40th

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
It's such a diverse genre, it's impossible (for me) to say.

But, Aesop Rock, Jurassic 5, Eminem, Nas, Foreign Beggas, Chiddy Bang and Tupac are my most played.

Fairly new school.

Speaking of Aesop Rock, he's just teamed up with Kimya Dawson of the Mouldy Peaches, the resulting album is rather good

[yt]uHYhzg8QWbI[/yt]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here