Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone remember Mike Tiddy?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I've put together an article about him here
http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/08...says-play-the-game-hard-but-play-it-straight/

I was only familiar with his name as he scored the goal against Bath City in the FA Cup in 1959/60, and because some footage of the game survives, which I've posted on North Stand Chat before. It's also in the article.

Surprised to find out that he was a Methodist preacher and didn't play in Easter or Christmas matches. Have there been other Albion players whose religion got between them and playing football matches?

Also, as Mike Tiddy was way, way before my time, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what kind of player he was as an outside right... what were the strengths to his game?

Thanks.

Lovely grey centre-section to his hair, by the way!

miketiddy.jpg

ChilternGull

Nov 3, 2011
Village near Oxford
I remember Mike Tiddy well. Came from Arsenal when Billy Lane recruited a host of more experienced players to stabalised the club during their first seasons at the second level. Scored the odd goal but had a turn of speed and was a fine crosser of the ball. When Billy Lane left the new manager did not take to him and he left with a host of the more experienced players. George Curtis brought in a whole load of kids and a double relegation resulted. He was, in my opinion, the worse manager the Albion have ever had. Tiddy was a very relegious man and would not play on Good Fridays. Think he was also a lay preacher. Can you imagine that today?

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I was well aware of him during my very early years following the Albion via the Argus - before my first ever live game. He was a cause of much merriment to me because his surname was my mother's euphemistic term for my willy !

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I've put together an article about him here
http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2013/08...says-play-the-game-hard-but-play-it-straight/

I was only familiar with his name as he scored the goal against Bath City in the FA Cup in 1959/60, and because some footage of the game survives, which I've posted on North Stand Chat before. It's also in the article.

Surprised to find out that he was a Methodist preacher and didn't play in Easter or Christmas matches. Have there been other Albion players whose religion got between them and playing football matches?

Also, as Mike Tiddy was way, way before my time, I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me what kind of player he was as an outside right... what were the strengths to his game?

Thanks.

Lovely grey centre-section to his hair, by the way!

miketiddy.jpg

Used to live next door to Mike. Decent bloke, good winger, very quick.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I was well aware of him during my very early years following the Albion via the Argus - before my first ever live game. He was a cause of much merriment to me because his surname was my mother's euphemistic term for my willy !

Certainly is a funny name. It reminded me of the children's book 'Tiddler - The Story Telling Fish', which I reprise at the start of the blog article...

Apologies to Julia Donaldson!

Seattle Seagull

Aug 12, 2013
I had a Mike Tiddy star! Blue plastic, with a picture on the middle.

In 1961, at the age of 10, I was allowed to go by myself to watch the Albion at The Goldstone Ground. Got the train at Portslade, got off at Hove, and made my way to the ground. If I had some money, I would get a programme. If I had lots of money (about a shilling), I would buy another star. I was very proud of my Mike Tiddy star!

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

In 1961, at the age of 10, I was allowed to go by myself to watch the Albion at The Goldstone Ground. Got the train at Portslade, got off at Hove, and made my way to the ground. If I had some money, I would get a programme. If I had lots of money (about a shilling), I would buy another star. I was very proud of my Mike Tiddy star!

Nice story. That moment as a kid when I first was allowed togo on my own albeit with my twin brother is much remembered.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Something like this?

tiddystar2.jpg

If not, let me know any amendments, however Tiddly they may be.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Fast, direct, great crosser of the ball. I have this vague idea that his brother was also at the club, possibly in the youth team ?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Fast, direct, great crosser of the ball. I have this vague idea that his brother was also at the club, possibly in the youth team ?

Yes, his younger brother Terry was on the Goldstone staff in 1959, according to Tim Carder and Roger Harris' book.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here