Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coaching Books/Websites Recommendations please!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Right then NSC.

I'm not a football coach but in my job I do a little bit of running 11 aside teams aged 11-13. Most of them play for clubs anyway and get proper coaching there so my job is really to run a fun training session every week and pick/organise a team (very much of the mindset that I want as many of them to get some game time as possible). More than anything I'm very mindful of not being one of those unqualified idiots that ruins football at a grass roots level, particularly as I've never been any better than Sunday league level myself! I reckon things have probably moved on since I last had any meaningful football coaching, so I've decided this year I'm going to invest a bit more time in researching some basic stuff to help me do a bit of a better job - e.g. good basic training drills etc.

So, any recommendations on books to buy or good websites? I know that we have a few qualified coaches on here, and there must be more than a few dads or whatever who've done a bit of running their kids' teams...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
A bit pricey but still the best coaching manual

tacklesoccer.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Just don't inflict the Charles Hughes books on 'em!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Cool, cheers for both guys. Unfortunately can't seem to find the Dave Sexton one anywhere for less than 60 quid which I can't justify!

Admittedly it's the first one to pop up on Amazon but this looks like it might be a decent shout: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Youth-Footb...Drills/dp/1408130793/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_4_85CT, although not sure if it's almost too much just fun drills rather than anything remotely tactical etc.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I used to use this site a lot http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/#

What I like is that it's run by someone who believes in giving the game back to the kids and despises the 'competitive dad' mentality. But don't let that fool you into thinking it's lacking in quality coaching advice, because it's not. I'd say it fits what you describe as your approach perfectly.
There's good forums on there too if you want to discuss ideas etc. All this is assuming nothing's changed since I was last on there which was nearly 2 seasons ago.

Good luck.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
One MUST HAVE resource! idrills for iPad! Fantastic App and a must for any budding coach of any level!

Out on iPhone and android shortly I believe!

You will never run a boring session again!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I used to use this site a lot http://www.footy4kids.co.uk/#

What I like is that it's run by someone who believes in giving the game back to the kids and despises the 'competitive dad' mentality. But don't let that fool you into thinking it's lacking in quality coaching advice, because it's not. I'd say it fits what you describe as your approach perfectly.
There's good forums on there too if you want to discuss ideas etc. All this is assuming nothing's changed since I was last on there which was nearly 2 seasons ago.

Good luck.

Looks brilliant - cheers!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
On the case with the app and liking that site a lot, thank you gentlemen!

idrills is quite simply the best resource I have found!

Loads of preloaded drills, option to buy more and options to design your own!

So if you want a small sided game, functional practice or a phase of play you have the ability to create your own if there is not one to fit!

Such a simple concept but very effective!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Colin Woffinden, ex-Brighton and hove Albion player, who played for both Walton & Hersham and Leatherhead, in their triumphs at the Goldstone, also wrote a coaching book...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Looks brilliant - cheers!

It really is a fantastic resource and for me it represents exactly the right approach. So much on there to explore for free and will fit your mindset a treat. All power to your elbow!

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I am happy to post you my FA basic coaching book on a long term loan if you PM me an address or pick up central Brighton / Hove. It hasn't come of the shelf in a few years, then today from a piece of randomness it did and now seeing this thread it must be a 'sign'. :mad:

Its this book:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/abo...ic_Team_Coac.html?id=oTD2GgAACAAJ&redir_esc=y

i forgot this one as well you can borrow:

http://books.google.co.uk/books/about/Soccer_Training.html?id=rRJNhGqFbOcC&redir_esc=y

Even if you realise its two you dont like then at least you have ruled them out.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Try to run Small Sided Games (SSGs) rather than drills. There are many of these available through the footy4kids site. I would recommend Paul Cooper's book on SSGs and there is also a book you can download by Keith Boanas called Fun Soccer Games for 12 to 15 Year Olds which has a great range of games to use.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
footy 4 kids is good for basic level coaching. However, if you have identified an area that you feel needs improving what you want to coach, then why not work on your own drills as no one knows your players like you do and so you can tailor your drills for each individual.

I would highly recommend any Youth Module drills for Under 12s and below.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Don't know how it works for footie but all cricket coaches are strongly urged to be members of the ECB Coaches Association with one of the key benefits being insurance. To become a member you must have passed a CRB check, first aid course and a safeguarding and protecting children course [and renew every 3 years].

All sounds very bureaucratic but is actually a good thing - does a similar thing apply for football coaches?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here