Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For all his flaws - good.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Good to have your captain on a longer deal, bad when his legs are gone and you need to inject pace into a defence that will be under more pressure with this new style of play.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Must admit I am a bit surprised. Any reasonable amount of money for a 32 year old has to be good right? We have El-Abd who is a good replacement, and if we could use the money to strengthen elsewhere, would be a benefit. Either way the club must be happy for him to see his career out with us, I imagine.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Good. We need stability at the moment, and also as many leaders on the pitch as possible. When the chips were down on Saturday there was a notable lack of voices on the pitch organising and encouraging.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I think for 500K we should have let him go and reinvest the money on a younger player to play alongside upson. Maybe leeds only offered a pittance. Also I wonder if the new contract is an ibncrease in wage ? if so, I can't see why we are keeping him ?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Good to have your captain on a longer deal, bad when his legs are gone and you need to inject pace into a defence that will be under more pressure with this new style of play.

He was fantastic at the back end of last season. Are you seriously suggesting he's over the hill three months later?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
That is very strangely worded from McDermott there, especially this bit

"The player's agent thought there was a situation where the player would be sold but that's not proving to be the case. The club don't want to do the deal. It's a difficult situation when you think the player wants to come."

Just a bit of negotiating tactics from Greer and his agent for a better deal, or is there something more sinister? Or am I just reading too much into it?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
He was fantastic at the back end of last season. Are you seriously suggesting he's over the hill three months later?

Just my opinion but yes.

Think last seasons defence were covered a lot by Bridges pace, allowed others the time to get back in numbers. This is now a luxury we don't have.

Looking at the CB pairing of Greer and Upson I would rather see a younger faster, fitter player in the place of one of that pair and to me Greer is the weak link.

He's also not the most commanding of captains from the evidence presented to my eyes so yes, thanks for the service, but yes time to move on.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Hate this quote:

"The player's agent thought there was a situation where the player would be sold but that's not proving to be the case. The club don't want to do the deal. It's a difficult situation when you think the player wants to come."

To be honest I thought Brian McDermott was above that kind of Redknapp-esque shit stirring.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
"It's a difficult situation when you think the player wants to come." Thanks for that Brian why not keep your private thoughts to yourself!

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
In two minds personally. Think Greer has done more than enough to earn his keep but if the money was decent for a 32 year old CB I think I'd take it and invest in a younger, quicker CB.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here