Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'The shadow of Gus Poyet hangs over Brighton'

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
I think there is definitely a 'hangover' feeling around the Amex which is inevitable given the loss to Palace and subsequent events.
We could do with some closure on the whole sorry affair. Hopefully a court case will be the end.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Excellent piece.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A Court case is inevitable now. It is not a question of money or paying him off it is the " gross misconduct " issue and the damage that has gone to his reputation that is the issue and the club cannot back track on that claim now. I hope they have called this right as the weeks and months that it will take will cast a huge shadow over the season, especially if it starts going in Poyet's favour.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The hangover feeling will last as long as we are not winning. The pro-Poyet brigade will load their ammunition and the ' happy-to-see Oscar in situ ' brigade will keep their powder dry, until results pick up.
The undercurrent of frustration from the 2nd leg v Palace will simmer on and not be easily forgotten.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
A Court case is inevitable now. It is not a question of money or paying him off it is the " gross misconduct " issue and the damage that has gone to his reputation that is the issue and the club cannot back track on that claim now. I hope they have called this right and the weeks and months that it will take will cast a huge shadow over the season, especially if it starts going in Poyet's favour.

It's not inevitable at all, it could still be settled out of court. Poyet knows that he risks still walking away with nothing if it goes to court and it comes out on the side of the club, then he'd still have the gross misconduct over him. Equally the club know the risk of having to pay Poyet up in full. Chances are it will be settled out of court with both sides agreeing to a non disclosures clause, I still think that is the most likely outcome unless either side think they've got a cast iron case.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's not inevitable at all, it could still be settled out of court. Poyet knows that he risks still walking away with nothing if it goes to court and it comes out on the side of the club, then he'd still have the gross misconduct over him. Equally the club know the risk of having to pay Poyet up in full. Chances are it will be settled out of court with both sides agreeing to a non disclosures clause, I still think that is the most likely outcome unless either side think they've got a cast iron case.

I think Poyet has got the taste for blood now. Time will tell.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

This. It's one thing for your board of directors to claim gross misconduct but something else entirely if a court publically agrees with them! The former can be argued as personality clashes but the latter is virtually guaranteed to be stamped large on every CV ever submitted. It could kill his management career for ever, leaving him to a life of punditry! Big gamble if his lawyers let him do it and it is just about ego.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This. It's one thing for your board of directors to claim gross misconduct but something else entirely if a court publically agrees with them! The former can be argued as personality clashes but the latter is virtually guaranteed to be stamped large on every CV ever submitted. It could kill his management career for ever, leaving him to a life of punditry! Big gamble if his lawyers let him do it and it is just about ego.

The gross misconduct is ALREADY on his cv, that is why he is taking the club to court.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

this is why I hope in hopes we hear its been settled out of court, and then maybe we can all get on with this season.

I really do love your avatar

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
Aug 8, 2005
If you were sacked for gross misconduct but didn't think there were good grounds what would you do? Of course Poyet is going to fight it.

Whether he fights it or not though the hangover will be last some time. You don't sack a highly successful manager and appoint someone new to English football and expect the team to do as well, unless you are very very lucky.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It is a good article, but I don't think it's necessarily true that the spectre of GP still hangs over the club, or that it's a GP hangover that has been a cause of our poor results so far. It was always going to be difficult parting with GP on whatever terms, but I'd suggest the club has done so in the best way they possibly could have, given the circumstances and his (alleged, and unrefuted) actions.

If anything in fact, the article is a statement of positivity. Garcia is a bold move but one that could pay off spectacularly; Broghton are a club who hold a lot of goodwill from other fans around the country etc. I'd rather be gambling on a young, unproven manager with a specific football philosophy (remember - it worked damn well last time) than settling for a Bruce, a Holloway or (god forbid) a Redknapp.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

ego or what he sees as a wrong doing?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The hangover feeling will last as long as we are not winning. The pro-Poyet brigade will load their ammunition and the ' happy-to-see Oscar in situ ' brigade will keep their powder dry, until results pick up.
The undercurrent of frustration from the 2nd leg v Palace will simmer on and not be easily forgotten.

if the teams performance on the pitch picks up and palace are struggling in the premiership then i dont see the suggested frustration carrying on

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It took three years for Jim Magilton to win his case against Ipswich. He was sacked for alledgedly hitting a player. The LMA backed him and, as has been said, won the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here