Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What goes wrong?

rowtnorthstand

Nov 25, 2012
Shoreham By Sea
Community shield MU sell 47K tickets and Wigan 6500? I don't get it?, ok, replies are going to include 'its closer for UTD to travel' etc but realistically!? Yeah Wigan have gone down, but have played some cracking footi tail end of the season, beat Man City etc, supporters are supporters....arent they?:(

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
I would say it is simply that there are so many Man U fans in London as opposed to Wigan fans. Also I am not sure how much a ticket was but I am sure that these "ManU" fans are more used to paying ridiculous prics.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The fact that Wembley is an expensive day out and they've already been there twice. For me, the community shield means nothing and is a friendly, and I'm pretty sure Wigan see it that was as well. Like you said, many United fans around that area who want to see United at Wembley.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'd be surprised if we were in the community shield and it wasn't seen as a massive game for us. Isn't one of our 'claims to fame' that we won this trophy back in the mists of time.

It is a bit surprising, but perhaps the relegation hangover is pretty big.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I'd be surprised if we were in the community shield and it wasn't seen as a massive game for us. Isn't one of our 'claims to fame' that we won this trophy back in the mists of time.

It is a bit surprising, but perhaps the relegation hangover is pretty big.

At the time we won it the game was seen as an unofficial championship of England match as it was played between the winners of the Football League and the Southern League. Now with so much football, European games etc its hardly that bigger deal. Just a glorified pre season friendly.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Wigan are a small club. First and foremost its a rugby league town. Their crowds in the PL are always boosted by large away support. Away fans know they can always get a ticket at Wigan. When they first entered the football league ( late 70's ) they were playing to 1500 at Springfield Park.
Throw in all the factors already mentioned...Distance, cost, attractiveness of fixture, school holidays, no southern-based fans and you end up with 5000ish at Wembley.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
In their promotion to the premiership season in 2004/05 they played us on an August Saturday and the attendance was 8,681, I think you will find they have now returned to that fanbase they are back in the championship again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here