Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mill Road Park & Ride. First and last time.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
For the past two seasons I have parked in Coldean without upsetting one single resident as far as I'm aware. Now I have to find an alternative. I don't do Park & Rides, but figured I'd have to give it a go.

Got to Mill Rd about 1.50 expecting it to be full with a plan to head to Mithras House.

About 8 spaces remaining at the top of the hill. Got on a bus immediately, but waited about five minuted for it to fill up. We then set off at a decent pace until about half a mile from the Falmer exit off the A27. From then on a painfully slow crawl through the obviously inadequate road system over the A27. We don't need to be taken to the door of the fecking stadium. Why don't the P&R buses drop off at the University? Must be quicker to get there than to the stadium and then we can walk from there.

After the game I left WSU immediately after the final whistle and joined a long line for the buses. 30 mins between joining the line and getting on the bus. Bloody frustrating. I don't do queuing. When the bendy buses load it takes forever because they load the entire bus through the front door only. I politely asked a steward why they didn't load through the rear doors as well (half the time to fill the bus) ... the reason "health & safety"!!! That makes absolutely no sense (mind you, elf and safety never does) and I will write to the club requesting a proper explanation.

On arriving at Mill Road I was grateful we were parked at the top of the road. There was a very long line of traffic crawling up the hill to the roundabout so I got off the bus and walked the last quarter mile to my car.

Got home at 6.15, 40 mins later than when parking at Coldean. Having left home at 1.30, that was 4hrs 45mins to watch a football match lasting 2 hrs including half time. Far too bloody long.

I'm certainly not going through that again. Next home game I'll try the train from HH, prob via Lewes to avoid the crowds.

This whole transportation/parking thing is starting to ruin my enjoyment of the match day experience.

So, by the way, is our inability to win a football game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What a shame, don't bother going if it is such an issue.

Acker79

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There's usually quite the queue to get a train to Lewes.

I believe the club requires permission from the university to drive the park and ride buses through there and to drop off there, something they have not been granted.

The bendy buses tend to have one way exits at the back, I don't know what sort of damage it would to to force through 70 odd people at that end, plus, buse numbers are limited, so if you have two entrance points it is harder to keep track of the number of people getting on.

The nearest you can park is bevendean, which is a 25-30minute walk away, or a little longer if you're a slow walker. Some people walk to the bottom of Coldean lane and get a 24, which isn't as busy as the 23 or 25, that could get you to bevendean a bit quicker.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Another moaning *******

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
What a shame, don't bother going if it is such an issue.

You rude ignoramous. For some people it is an issue, those with a life outside of football. You perhaps don't have one.

D

Deleted member 18477

Quite a few elderly people use the park and ride too. So i dont think some would like being dropped off at the uni.

Your P and R experience is THE mill road P and R experience.. unless you leave the game a few mins before the end - which is why many do.

Once you get use to it, it becomes the norm. Ive always used the mill road P and R so i know no different via car... although did get the train a few times and that was similar timings so went back to P and R option.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You rude ignoramous. For some people it is an issue, those with a life outside of football. You perhaps don't have one.

Linking the 2, how strange? They're not mutually inclusive.

Many people spend far longer getting to and from the stadium and simply accept it, never feeling the urge to add to the ludicrously long list of threads on here that bleat on about nothing of any real consequence.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003

Nah, he asked for it, I reckon. "I don't do queueing"! Is the OP Mariah Carey or something?

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The scenario the poster explains hardly seems a big deal though. Sure there is a 30 minute post match wait but what was he/she expecting? I appreciate the comment about a life outside of football so if there is a need to be able to be traveling home immediately after the whistle then the only option is to leave early or not go.

I think you're being very harsh.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
For the past two seasons I have parked in Coldean without upsetting one single resident as far as I'm aware. Now I have to find an alternative. I don't do Park & Rides, but figured I'd have to give it a go.

Got to Mill Rd about 1.50 expecting it to be full with a plan to head to Mithras House.

About 8 spaces remaining at the top of the hill. Got on a bus immediately, but waited about five minuted for it to fill up. We then set off at a decent pace until about half a mile from the Falmer exit off the A27. From then on a painfully slow crawl through the obviously inadequate road system over the A27. We don't need to be taken to the door of the fecking stadium. Why don't the P&R buses drop off at the University? Must be quicker to get there than to the stadium and then we can walk from there.

After the game I left WSU immediately after the final whistle and joined a long line for the buses. 30 mins between joining the line and getting on the bus. Bloody frustrating. I don't do queuing. When the bendy buses load it takes forever because they load the entire bus through the front door only. I politely asked a steward why they didn't load through the rear doors as well (half the time to fill the bus) ... the reason "health & safety"!!! That makes absolutely no sense (mind you, elf and safety never does) and I will write to the club requesting a proper explanation.

On arriving at Mill Road I was grateful we were parked at the top of the road. There was a very long line of traffic crawling up the hill to the roundabout so I got off the bus and walked the last quarter mile to my car.

Got home at 6.15, 40 mins later than when parking at Coldean. Having left home at 1.30, that was 4hrs 45mins to watch a football match lasting 2 hrs including half time. Far too bloody long.

I'm certainly not going through that again. Next home game I'll try the train from HH, prob via Lewes to avoid the crowds.

This whole transportation/parking thing is starting to ruin my enjoyment of the match day experience.

So, by the way, is our inability to win a football game.

Good. Please leave the Mill Rd Park and Ride to those like me who are delighted with the car to stadium service and have absolutely no problem with it or any desire to walk from the University thank you very much.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Half an hour to get away from a stadium where 26,000 people attended is not bad at all. When I went to Monsters of Rock at Donnington in 1988, it took literally all night to get out of the car park.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
I can't believe some of the moaning idiots on here... Why do some people have such short memories... 3 years ago we didn't even have a proper stadium to watch our home games... Why not go to the beach for the afternoon... Football's obviously too much effort...

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
I think the main problem for a lot of people, is they do not like queuing. That's why they leave early. I really am struggling to see how being home 40 minutes later then usual is such a problem. You visit any big venue and you can expect the transport around that area to be full to capacity and at times slow moving. Sometimes is just as well to stay around for a drink and something to eat and let the queues die down. I have found that having a coffee and pie after the game and then walking to the car about 5:30, still gets me home at roughly the same time. The bonus is not having to try and fight your way out of the car park for 20 minutes.

Quite a few elderly people use the park and ride too. So i dont think some would like being dropped off at the uni.
Indeed. And that's an important consideration.

But the whole operation would be quicker if, pre-match, the P&R buses did a U-turn around the fly-over at Falmer Village and then turned straight back on to the A27 to drop passengers at the Falmer Station bus stop.

I happen to know that it was considered a couple of years ago, but was rejected, no doubt for a sound reason, but I still wonder if it is worth a re-think.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
We use Mill Road all the time without problems. Of course there are traffic queues and of course you have to queue for the buses. There are thousands doing the same thing at the same time. If you carry a placard next time, then perhaps everyone will move out of your way to allow you to go through more quickly without having to queue behind everyone else, seeing as you "don't do queuing".

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Some people might be able to give you other options if you mention where you live.

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
We have been at the stadium a while now. We all know we have transport issue though 30 mins to get on the bus is not an issue in my eyes!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

How do you expect 26,000 people to leave one area and there be no queues ?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Some people might be able to give you other options if you mention where you live.

Here's an option: Deal with it princess; we get big crowds every week. If you 'don't do queuing' then I'd suggest you go and watch a team that doesn't have a 26K average gate. Crawley isn't far, although you may have to queue at the roundabout at the top if the Pease Pottage slip road.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here