Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will CMS shine in an Oscar team?

Will CMS shine in an Oscar team?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I had my doubts, after last season, that CMS was ever going to fit in with our play. After yesterday I think that the way we appear to be getting the ball forward so much quicker may just suit him, especially playing off Ulloa.

Is this desperate straw clutching?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I think it's a fair assumption that moving the ball forward quicker and the odd longer ball will suit his game much better.

When he was banging them in for the Posh in highlights you'd often see him start a yard behind the defence and his speed would carry him trhough to a 1-1 situnation with the keeper.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
No you are right I think the way we are playing or seem to be playing presently is going to suit him.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Good poll.

For me the answer is sadly 'no', he seems a decent chap who 'runs his heart out for the team', but the bottom line is he is a poor finisher and is better in League 1.

Would love to be proved wrong but can't see it.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think CMS will give us a completely different option. Yesterday, we only looked like scoring from crosses but with CMS in the side playing like we did yesterday with more finesse could suit him.

albie_noobs

Jul 25, 2011
Newhaven
I hope you're right and that his poor play was just down to low confidence but I fear that he is not good enough in this league.
Although Ulloa is quality in the air when he is facing goal or defending corners, he hardly wins any headers with his back to goal, he just jumps, falls over and claims a foul that he never gets, though he might have learnt by now ffs!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's not a case of playing in Oscar's team.

The question is can CMS form a partnership with Ulloa.

He should do, if they do all the nonsense on here will soon be forgotten.
If they don't our season gets longer.

I didn't see much from Barnes/Ulloa yesterday to have me thinking CMS won't get his place back.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'm looking forward to CMS returning; his pace is something that makes us look dangerous. I'd expect to see him get a lot of ball played into the channels just outside the box and being able to pull back a low hard cross for Ulloa to slide or dive onto - the worst case is that such a cross is often deflected for a corner. Also, I'd expect to see Ulloa holding the ball back to goal and playing CMS in behind the defence for a 1 on 1.

All in an ideal world.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
I think he will be good once he's fit again under Oscar and alongside Ulloa. My main concern is will he lose some of his pace after his nasty injury.
How many times have we seen players with pace lose some of that speed after a long lay-off with injuries like he's had.

scooter1

How soon is now?
If Oscar is going to persist with 4-3-3, then there isn't room for Ulloa and CMS, Barnes can get away with it because he can operate like a winger, CMS can't. To get the best out of CMS, we should be playing 4-4-2. Yesterday was 4?? until Lua Lua came on and then we looked like 4-3-3. I'm not convinced CMS can be effective at this level, but I'd like to see him given a decent chance partnering Ulloa, and proving me wrong

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
I had my doubts, after last season, that CMS was ever going to fit in with our play. After yesterday I think that the way we appear to be getting the ball forward so much quicker may just suit him, especially playing off Ulloa.

The best thing about CMS is his ability to disrupt defences with his pace, so will suit.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
What he said ^^^^^^^^^

I think CMS would create more anxiety in oppo defences than the one-dimensional Barnes. If he buzzed around their back four, across the line, interchanging with Buckley at his whim, we would keep them on the back foot, allowing more penetrative build-up play, and more goalscoring opportunities :)

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
If Oscar is going to persist with 4-3-3, then there isn't room for Ulloa and CMS, Barnes can get away with it because he can operate like a winger, CMS can't. To get the best out of CMS, we should be playing 4-4-2. Yesterday was 4?? until Lua Lua came on and then we looked like 4-3-3. I'm not convinced CMS can be effective at this level, but I'd like to see him given a decent chance partnering Ulloa, and proving me wrong

Oscar's 4-3-3 is very different to Gus. As we saw yesterday he will vary it. In fact, we started the second half with Buckley alongside Ulloa and Barnes just behind so it was more like a diamond formation.

CMS will always need 20 chances to score 10 goals but under OG I think he'll get the opportunities. What he won't have to do is play with his back to goal which was probably the most stubborn and annoying aspect of Gus's reign.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The way we seem to be playing now, which may look different after it's bedded in, is that we are sacrificing defensive stability for attacking intent. Score more than we concede. CMS flourished in the Peterborough team that had it's emphasis on attack. His technical skills are not great but his ability to unsettle defenders with his harrying is still there. We needed somebody upfront like that yesterday. His pace now could be a concern though

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think CMS would have struggled during the second half onslaught.

The rest of the team would have been too close to him, double :facepalm:, no make that a triple :facepalm: to go.

Having spent 2 seasons unable to even see another blue & white strip, I think it would be unsettling to be surrounded by them :lol:

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London

I'm 50/50 on this. If he doesn't supply this season im sure he will be sold next summer
We all know there's a decent goal scorer in him but I never felt Gus got the best out if him so maybe you are right that the quicker more direct ball up there will create more chances for him

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes I think he will, If I were TB Gus not playing to Macca's strength's would have really been a bitter pill swallow after laying out 2.75 million for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here