Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Athletics in Moscow

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Just sitting watching the athletics how can the sport go from 80,000 full houses for every morning session to about 2,000 rattling around an as big a stadium in 1 year? Crazy

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
That's exactly what I was thinking. Doesn't seem a very happy place either, watched the ladies marathon yesterday, no enthusiastic cheering, in fact a very sparse crowd I thought.

D

Deleted member 18477

No idea what sports russian people even like apart from football. Expect a different atmosphere when they host the world cup in 2018. By different i mean... violent.

bbranni

Jan 11, 2010
No idea what sports russian people even like apart from football. Expect a different atmosphere when they host the world cup in 2018. By different i mean... violent.

I've just switched over to EuroSport and I don't even think there's even 2000 people in there. Are the tickets ridiculously expensive or something?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I might be wrong here but I've always got the impression that, aside from the Olympics, quite a sizeable chunk of the crowds at international athletics meetings are regular enthusiasts who travel to watch it. Russia isn't exactly an easy place to do a nice week/weekend away - very expensive, hard to get a visa, long flight, not particularly easy or safe to get about whilst there etc.

Also, I think Moscow quite famously has very little middle class with disposable income.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
Just sitting watching the athletics how can the sport go from 80,000 full houses for every morning session to about 2,000 rattling around an as big a stadium in 1 year? Crazy

If it were at the Olympic stadium in London every session would be sold out within 60 mins of going on sale. I think I am right in thinking it will be held in London in a few years time?

Can't be much fun for the athletes competing in a virtually empty stadium.

D

Deleted member 18477

And in 2015 its in beijing which will be a lot better than this poor moscow event so far anyway.

2016 olympics will be booming in Rio and 2020 olympics will be in istanbul, tokyo or madrid.... not sure how the turks take to athletics? Im sure Tokyo or Madrid would be great events though.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
BRameQCCIAEuClf.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills