Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whats with all route 1 passing?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I know the team gotta gel and its early days, but we where defo not on the same wave length at all today.

Not liking all the long balls, seem we where just hitting and hoping, even Kuszczak was lumping the ball out from goal kicks, before he would play it out, god knows how many times we lost possession.

Hope this aint the formula for the season, was more Sam Aallardyce than Spanish flar was hoping for.

Baron Pepperpot

Jul 26, 2012
Brighton
I understand it when it comes to the oppositions box, Ulloa is coming into play a lot more, but other than that I was a tad worried.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I understand it when it comes to the oppositions box, Ulloa is coming into play a lot more, but other than that I was a tad worried.

Yeah I know sometimes its best to get rid of the ball, at times last year we tried to pass it out from our area and it backfired and we lost it in our area. But yeah I just thought we tried way too may route 1 passes, even Lua Lua got given the ball high by high passes, instead on the deck, hes gotta to be the smallest player on the pitch, chances are hes not gonna win the a battle in the air.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I reckon because we are in effect playing three forwards and three midfielders, we are one midfielder short of last season's tactics, putting the onus on getting the ball up to those six players asap, with the more direct approach being implemented. Our goal today was evidence of that, with some lovely, quick build-up play, with a killer cross and finish. We will come good if we stick to our guns and keep plugging away. Early days yet :)

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
I reckon because we are in effect playing three forwards and three midfielders, we are one midfielder short of last season's tactics, putting the onus on getting the ball up to those six players asap, with the more direct approach being implemented. Our goal today was evidence of that, with some lovely, quick build-up play, with a killer cross and finish. We will come good if we stick to our guns and keep plugging away. Early days yet :)

I am delighted that you recognise the lovely quick build up play that lead to our goal. and the need to keep plugging away.

Pity then that on the Andrews for Barnes thread you state that Oscar has apparently now seen through Barnes and he will not be playing again for some time soon. That is the same Barnes who played a superb first time ball ahead of Calde for him to cross for the goal.

Make your mind up.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
At times we did do some good passing, it wasnt all route 1, shame the players where on a different wave length at times though, maybe its the system? And takes some getting used to, but yeah, there where alot of long balls. Maybe when Bridcutt is back hopefully the play will go through him and he can distribute the ball for us again.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why do we bother with midfielders just by pass them from the back as is becoming apparent at the moment. The problem is the players are not used to playing that way. If that is how OG wants us to play I say get rid of most of the team and start again but it would cost money.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I know the team gotta gel and its early days, but we where defo not on the same wave length at all today.

Not liking all the long balls, seem we where just hitting and hoping, even Kuszczak was lumping the ball out from goal kicks, before he would play it out, god knows how many times we lost possession.

Hope this aint the formula for the season, was more Sam Aallardyce than Spanish flar was hoping for.

Yes, it was a bit worrying. As was the fact that we had about 10 free kicks, all crossed by Spanish Dave into the box (and only one decent delivery (missed by Upson)). Did they all have to be delivered in the air? Where was the variation?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I said the same thing after Tuesday night, hoping that Newport had just dragged us down to their level for one game, but sadly today was proof that Oscar really has ripped up all the superb passing and technical abilities we showed so consistently last season. What makes it worse is that we really don't have the players required to succeed with the long ball. It just makes no sense to be playing it whatsoever. I actually can't believe I'm watching a man with Barcelona heritage take a team of skilful footballers and turn them into Stoke-lite in a few weeks. Everything now seems to frenetic and hopeful, gone is the control we showed in virtually every home match last season.

Shiiiiiiit hide all the sharp objects :shootself haha

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Yes, it was a bit worrying. As was the fact that we had about 10 free kicks, all crossed by Spanish Dave into the box (and only one decent delivery (missed by Upson)). Did they all have to be delivered in the air? Where was the variation?

same with the corners, we had loads of them that where bollocks, then derby went got a corner and caused us trouble, even kuszczak didnt looked comfortable at times.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Give OG some time ffs, he is still getting used to the champ.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Give OG some time ffs, he is still getting used to the champ.

I think that it will take until the end of October and we will then start looking like a football team, which we dont at the moment. We are playing like a team with no guidance or interest from most of the players. By October we could be out of promotion contention which is the stated aim of everybody connected with the club.

Spun Cuppa

Exactly. Also, my suspicion is that Bridcutt will fail to get anywhere near last season's standards when he returns. With Gus he was the main man, the pivotal player upon which our whole team revolved. But he'll be watching the ball sail 30 yards over his head in this team, which is a great shame.

I think the long balls were INSTEAD of the way we will play when Bridcutt returns. With him back in the side, we will return to him putting his foot on the ball, and picking a pass out in front of him, and generally running the show. Ince showed flashes of this, but is not LB. *I hope (and pray :) )

Spun Cuppa

I am delighted that you recognise the lovely quick build up play that lead to our goal. and the need to keep plugging away.

Pity then that on the Andrews for Barnes thread you state that Oscar has apparently now seen through Barnes and he will not be playing again for some time soon. That is the same Barnes who played a superb first time ball ahead of Calde for him to cross for the goal.

Make your mind up.

I'm all for lovely, quick build up play, but reckon there are better exponents of it at the club than Barnes. Picking out a good pass is OK, but it needs to be done regularly, rather than just the once. Orlandi for example would play probably 10-15 balls like that per game, rather than one ???

D

Deleted member 22389

I said the same thing after Tuesday night, hoping that Newport had just dragged us down to their level for one game, but sadly today was proof that Oscar really has ripped up all the superb passing and technical abilities we showed so consistently last season. What makes it worse is that we really don't have the players required to succeed with the long ball. It just makes no sense to be playing it whatsoever. I actually can't believe I'm watching a man with Barcelona heritage take a team of skilful footballers and turn them into Stoke-lite in a few weeks. Everything now seems to frenetic and hopeful, gone is the control we showed in virtually every home match last season.

The idea is there but the players don't know who is doing what yet. I will pass judgement after 10 games, then we will see what we have got in the way of a manager. Must admit, poor refs have not helped us one bit. Newport should not have been a sending off, yesterday a hand ball in the box. These two things are games changers.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The idea is there but the players don't know who is doing what yet. I will pass judgement after 10 games, then we will see what we have got in the way of a manager. Must admit, poor refs have not helped us one bit. Newport should not have been a sending off, yesterday a hand ball in the box. These two things are games changers.

Leeds handball goal too. Three games and the ref has had a hand in our downfall in all three. It's gonna be hard enough to change the style, we don't need refs giving the opposition a hand up EVERY game. Not blaming the ref for our defeats btw but their inept decisions in all three games certainly haven't helped our cause.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
I tweeted earlier and stand by my view. We seem to be a really disjointed team at the moment, we are getting caught at the back but at the same time we aren't high enough to break/attack. Ulloa is coming way too deep most of the time. Rumours of Greer to Leeds, wouldn't be a bad thing imo, IF we were to get a centreback with pace to play alongside Upson.

Yesterday was strange, Kuzszcak seemed like having a dodgy game (everyone allowed 1 or 2 a season really), the long ball was pointless and seems like Buckley has lost a lot of his pace and playing way too narrow. We seem clumped in middle of the park.

However, 100% I will trust Garcia and he has my backing to turn it round. Were not fans if we don't have an opinion on how we have done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here