Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] From tactical machine to unintelligent freedom

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
That is last season to this. All the players knew their roles and what the others were doing. This season the players have more freedom to express themselves but less understanding of how to play as a team. People who were so confident they knew what they were soing last season are questioning themselves, Kuszczak, Greer and Upson made hardly any of the errors they frequently made today.

There is no organisation in the team and that is a real worry. Oscar will get it sussed, but we need to temper our expectations this season. Top half at best unless we quickly resolve the obvious flaws in our team. Which, for me, are not the players. Just the tactics and shape.

Nail. Head.

No gameplan.

It is surprising that it's not totally clear what we are trying to do - is Oscar really happy the amount of time we give the ball away cheaply?
Yet in his interviews he seems more concerned about missed chances? Yet the problem with that is the one striker he is playing is undroppable, given that he's our best player.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The tactics have changed; it's going to take the players a few games to click.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I like Calderon. I like Dave. I like Buckley. Do I like them all within 10 yards of each other while our debutant left back is given a whole side of the pitch to himself? No.

Do I like seeing Buckley play centrally? To have Barnes sort of hang about on the left? Do I like LuaLua coming on amd playong centrally? March doing something similar?

I'm not sure what the plan was, but it was doomed to fail. The ability of our players masked the obvious flaws in our ideas of the game today.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
That is last season to this. All the players knew their roles and what the others were doing. This season the players have more freedom to express themselves but less understanding of how to play as a team. People who were so confident they knew what they were soing last season are questioning themselves, Kuszczak, Greer and Upson made hardly any of the errors they frequently made today.

There is no organisation in the team and that is a real worry. Oscar will get it sussed, but we need to temper our expectations this season. Top half at best unless we quickly resolve the obvious flaws in our team. Which, for me, are not the players. Just the tactics and shape.

3. Games. In.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Nail. Head.

No gameplan.

Rarely did I ever witness a 'game plan' under Poyet either unless you count passing it around the back 5 for 5 minutes before aimlessly hoofing it up field anyway as a game plan. Get those rose tinted specs off.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

Or PERHAPS NE you clueless monkey the team will need some time to adjust to Garcia's tactics and ideologies having just had 3 years of dullness under Poyet, just a thought?

Or PERHAPS NE you clueless monkey the team will need some time to adjust to Garcia's tactics and ideologies having just had 3 years of dullness under Poyet, just a thought?

Can you stop trolling an interesting debate about our shape and tactics please

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Spot on comments fromt the Elephant so far.

In my group the big observation was how disorganised we were. It was all a bit hectic and players were just launching balls down the middle. We looked a bit better after an hoyr when they finally started knocking the ball around a bit. Oscar has much work to do. I've always said this will be a mid-table season, that isn't a moan as I'm happy with that, but it's the reality.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Can you stop trolling an interesting debate about our shape and tactics please

It's not an interesting debate it's an angry reaction to 2 losses on the bounce from someone who seems to have forgotten that we did that REGULARLY under Poyet.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The fact that Kusczak was piss poor today was a real worry. He looked totally out of it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It's not an interesting debate it's an angry reaction to 2 losses on the bounce from someone who seems to have forgotten that we did that REGULARLY under Poyet.

Not too often as last season we lost 9 games out of 46.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The fact that Kusczak was piss poor today was a real worry. He looked totally out of it.

But I don't blame him. He isn't sure if he should pass it short or go long. He doesn't know what he should do, so he needs to be coached. It is simple stuff that we all pointed out at the Villareal game. Those who went saw him and Greer make a hash of it a few times and give away a few corners in front of the North. That hasn't been addressed, and that is my worry.

Maybe Gus overcoached in that the players were too rigid in our style, but they knew what they were doing and it clearly worked. I am all for the idea of more creative freedom, but not at the expense of the team as a whole. It worries me that things we all saw at the Villareal game are still going wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a doom and gloom merchant. I suspect we'll be inconsistent until the new year and then finish strongly but Wolves fans will tell you there were signs early on last season that they had problems. We shouldn't pretend our deficiancies aren't there.

Work to do on the training pitch. I suspect we won't improve until september at the earliest as we're still scrambling around in the market. By then we might have some catching up to do.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
what was strange was seeing Buckley, Kaz, and March all play very centrally at times...

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
what was strange was seeing Buckley, Kaz, and March all play very centrally at times...

Can't be a coincidance, can it? When Calderon was sent off vs Newport the masterplan was Buckley central. Forget width and go central. Spectacularly failed then, and failed today as well.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
given what's gone on with Poyet I'm no longer a fan of his, however I've always had the confidence that he could quickly see when things were going wrong and make changes, or to see when things were going right and to persevere. I didn't like Poyet's am dram on the touchline but always felt he was communicating with the team on the pitch. Oscar clearly has a different approach.

Let's see.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here