Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mullery delight at Albion role [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Mullery delight at Albion role[/h]9:00am Saturday 10th August 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2582104.jpg
Alan Mullery at The Amex
Albion legend Alan Mullery has made an emotional return to the club.
The manager who steered the Seagulls to the top flight of English football in 1979 has been named as ambassador.
Mullery, 71, will be a regular speaker at the Seagulls’ 1901 club on matchdays and in frequent contact with supporters as part of his newly created and wide-ranging role.
The former Spurs and England midfielder said: “When I was offered the job and accepted it, the hairs on the back of my neck went funny.
“My wife looked at me and I was quite emotional actually.
“To be away for 30-odd years and then come back as ambassador, I haven’t got big-headed over it but I do like it.
“I’m really pleased the Board offered me the job.
“Before I was even offered the chance to come back again, when I looked at the situation I thought what a wonderful opportunity it is for people joining the club now, because everything is in place.
“The stadium is magnificent, the people on the Board, a chairman who is absolutely unbelievable.”
Mullery guided Albion from the old Third Division to the First in the space of three seasons during the first of two spells in charge.
The club staged a tribute dinner for him at The Amex in March, attended by many of his former Albion players and 400 guests, to celebrate his 55 years in football.
His new role will be based around matchdays at the Amex, where he will become a familiar face and voice in the club's 1901 Club lounges and occasionally on the pitch at half-time.
He will also work with Albion in the Community in and around Sussex, help mentor our young academy prospects and write a regular match programme column.
Albion chairman Tony Bloom said: “Alan has played a huge part in our club's journey and he is a legendary figure in the Albion's history.
“He guided the club into the First Division for the only time in our history in 1979, and helped build one of the greatest-ever Albion sides.
"He has a long-standing connection with the Albion, one which has never gone away. He had a very close relationship with my grandfather Harry, during his first spell at the club, and I am absolutely thrilled to welcome him back to the club in this new role."

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here