Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Mullery Club ambassador

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
Legendary former Seagulls boss Alan Mullery is back at the Albion, having been appointed in the newly-created role of club ambassador.

Mullery led the club during the glory days of the late 1970s and early 1980s, clinching promotion from Division Three to the top flight in three seasons.

He also enjoyed a hugely successful playing career in which he captained Fulham, Tottenham and England, and had a second spell at the Goldstone Ground in the mid 1980s.

Chairman Tony Bloom commented, "Alan has played a huge part in our club's journey and he is a legendary figure in the Albion's history. He guided the club into the First Division for the only time in our history in 1979, and helped build one of the greatest-ever Albion sides.

"He has a long-standing connection with the Albion, one which has never gone away. He had a very close relationship with my grandfather Harry, during his first spell at the club, and I am absolutely thrilled to welcome him back to the club in this new role."
alan-mullery-mike-bamber229-982352.jpg

Mullery added, "It is a wonderful opportunity. Everything is in place, the stadium is magnificent, the people who are on the board, and the chairman is absolutely unbelievable. Everything about the club is good.

"When I was offered the job and I accepted, the hairs on the back of my neck went funny. My wife looked at me and I was quite emotional to be honest. I am really pleased that the board offered me the job. I am absolutely delighted."

His new role will be based around matchdays at the American Express Community Stadium, where he will become a familiar face and voice in the club's 1901 Club lounges and occasionally on the pitch at half-time.

He will also work with Albion in the Community in and around Sussex, help mentor our young academy prospects and write a regular match programme column.

As a seasoned media pundit, with many stories to tell from his distinguished career, Mullery will also host club functions, attend supporters' group meetings and host his own special tour of the Amex.
Read more at http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/mullery-returns-to-albion-982358.aspx#2spYeFwqXu8h7X0U.99

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Excellent stuff. His role in Albion history has been unjustifiably neglected over the past couple of decades.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
How does this fit in with FFP?

I would imagine that the club believe the revenue he generates by his presence will be greater than his salary. I suspect that they'd be right.

Excellent news - he is a true Albion legend.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I know it's only a press release but he sounds genuinely thrilled about it. Good stuff.

The NSKers who do their flag things really need to have one with that famous Palace image of Mullery on.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Wonderful, wonderful news. Our greatest manager. Did a great job in both his previous spells at the club.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Just out of interest, what does a club ambassador do? I know Man U have Bobby Charlton as theirs but all I've seen him do is lift the Champions League a few years ago and I don't think that's going go be something Mullery will have to worry about for a while. Is it just a case of shaking hands and being around on a match day?

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Just out of interest, what does a club ambassador do? I know Man U have Bobby Charlton as theirs but all I've seen him do is lift the Champions League a few years ago and I don't think that's going go be something Mullery will have to worry about for a while. Is it just a case of shaking hands and being around on a match day?

Read the article. It spells out everything he will be doing.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

Read the article. It spells out everything he will be doing.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know it's only a press release but he sounds genuinely thrilled about it. Good stuff.

The NSKers who do their flag things really need to have one with that famous Palace image of Mullery on.

Certainly agree with your first sentence, and it is absolutely brilliant to see the great man back in the fold.

With regards to a flag with that image on, now that he's part of the club, maybe they ought to sound him out first? He might not want to be remembered for sticking two fingers up at the Palace fans! Not very diplomatic behaviour for an Ambassador!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Excellent news to start the day with. Mullers is a genuine Albion legend and it will be great to have him around the place. I'd pay good money for a conducted tour with him at the helm, firing out anecdotes of the glory years. Smart move by all concerned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here