Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New fa chairman Greg Dyke states the bleeding obvious

If the Premier League don't want a summer World Cup in 2022, all they have to do is refuse to release their players for the tournament. That should screw up most of England's opponents, leaving the way open to our first tournament win since 1966.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Another opportunity for the Premier League to show that they are actually in control of our National game, and that the FA are now nothing more than a insignificant, passive irrelevance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Premier clubs would prefer to keep their players for the summer for their tours at which they earn loads a money and then have a 3 week break during the season preferably Jan/Feb

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Premier clubs would prefer to keep their players for the summer for their tours at which they earn loads a money and then have a 3 week break during the season preferably Jan/Feb

good point, except they'd have to be playing thier regular fixtures in the summer, so they still lose those tour revenues.

and its not 3 weeks. its 4 to 5 for the finalists. and at least a week team training and prep before, ideally 2. so it will be 6-7 weeks out of the European schedules, and African, and some others including Argentina who seem to play about 10 months.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If the Premier League don't want a summer World Cup in 2022, all they have to do is refuse to release their players for the tournament. That should screw up most of England's opponents, leaving the way open to our first tournament win since 1966.

Cunning plan M'lud !

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Well you have the next hosts Russia who are banning homosexuals from their forthcoming Winter Olympics with the threat of arrest for any public signs of affection and expect similar attitudes in Qatar with the addition of unplayable conditions.

The untouchable institution of FIFA has sanctioned the death of international football and swings right in the face of the message of making football all inclusive

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
I suppose it will be moved - there's plenty of time to organise it. The same could be said about Equatorial Africa......they will be due their share of a tournament at some point, given the contribution of the Africans in the European game, from Iberia right across to the Urals.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

3 weeks for a world cup ?? The tournament lasts 4 weeks and the national sides would need at least 2 weeks before the tournament for squad training, so unless they change things drastically, it's at least 6 weeks in the middle of a season. I think it will happen though, somehow.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Is it me? Or have I read that article differently to the rest of you? My impression from reading that report is the FA (or Mr Dyke) believe that the date must be changed to winter time & that it is the Premier League are opposed to such a move, wishing to keep the domestic season as it is now.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I still don't understand how they ever were considered let alone win the bid. Money talks I guess.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Why was it given to Qatar in the first place. I suppose it is obvious, back handers.
Why not, if they are capable of hosting it? It is not their fault that FIFA insist on a summer tournament. They are just as happy to host it in the winter when it is perfectly feasible to play. Who cares if the premier league whine about a winter tournament? There are more leagues in the world than just those arrogant glory hunters.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I still don't understand how they ever were considered let alone win the bid. Money talks I guess.

Because they are members of FIFA and deserve the same consideration as any other nation. Money may talk but it also pays for 21st century stadia and infrastructure that are capable of hosting the world's biggest sporting event.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
Why not, if they are capable of hosting it? It is not their fault that FIFA insist on a summer tournament. They are just as happy to host it in the winter when it is perfectly feasible to play. Who cares if the premier league whine about a winter tournament? There are more leagues in the world than just those arrogant glory hunters.

Is this a wind up?

Their bid said they would host it in summer, if they can't host it in summer then they shouldn't host it at all

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
That's if there is in fact a World Cup in 2022. 9 years is a long time.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Is this a wind up?

Their bid said they would host it in summer, if they can't host it in summer then they shouldn't host it at all

This. This. And this again. FIFA are almost comically inept and corrupt. They literally couldn't do a worse job if they sat down in a committee and determined to do the worst job possible.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
Is this a wind up?

Why, because somebody who probably will not even attend says so? Who made you the nation's spokesman?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here