Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Move back to Britain - No way" - any other Albion ex-pats seen Telegraph article

tommyseagull

Jan 11, 2012
I would definatly not move back, me and my fiancée both have full time jobs with contracts, and can actually afford to live pay rent and bills etc which was a major struggle in England. So much more relaxed and easy living out here in Spain, would only move back if there was something major.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Why does the world want to move here?

Free world health service.

Free houses.

Free benefits.

Terrorists are protected.

What's there not to like?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I can't see myself ever moving back.

I don't have a problem with the UK, lovely place to visit. I just like it here more.

I also like hot weather. If I ever do leave the Netherlands, it will be to go somewhere warmer, not somewhere like the UK that has the same shit '9 months of winter and 3 weeks of summer' routine as I already have to put up with here. (Having said that the last 6 weeks have been lovely...)

My plan is to stay here till most people in UK have moved away, then I'll go back.

But not while there's too many people, too many cars, everybody in a rush and everything is somebody else's fault. If I trip over a paving stone my reaction is I'm an idiot, I should look where I'm going. Too many people in UK want to sue the council.

Quality of life is what's important and I get that here. Not in UK.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I would definatly not move back, me and my fiancée both have full time jobs with contracts, and can actually afford to live pay rent and bills etc which was a major struggle in England. So much more relaxed and easy living out here in Spain, would only move back if there was something major.

You work hard, play by the rules then you are are criminal and should be locked up. If you're the oppisite then you you are a right minded law abiding citizen and entilted to bleed the tax payers dry.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Bet millions of yanks would move here tomorrow if they could as theres no National health service over there or £1m mansions given free to asylum seekers.

I don't think they would, you know. Americans tend to have an inbuilt sense that they live in the greatest country on earth, hence why so few of them ever leave home soil even for a holiday.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
I don't think they would, you know. Americans tend to have an inbuilt sense that they live in the greatest country on earth, hence why so few of them ever leave home soil even for a holiday.

No health care in the states. HIV-AIDS ?

That is free here in the Uk but cancer drugs are bannes but Uk citizens die every year because the NHS cant afford treatment to prolong their lives as its to expensive but keep immigrants alive with HIV-AIDS drugs when they haven't paid a penny into the coffers.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

LOL just like the French!

I'd move back to Blighty tomorrow,the wife wouldn't though

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Agree with comments about other countries being more relaxed and having a better quality of life. UK seems so expensive and uptight these days. I still miss family, friends and the Albion. There are some things I thought I would miss. But I find the longer I’ve been away the less I miss them.

British country side – it’s as good here or better, the scale is breathtaking
Sport – Adopted baseball and ice hockey. Never that fussed about cricket or rugby. Do miss watching live footie.
Beer and pubs – the craft ale revolution changed that.
TV – UK now seems to show more American TV than America.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Agree with comments about other countries being more relaxed and having a better quality of life. UK seems so expensive and uptight these days. I still miss family, friends and the Albion. There are some things I thought I would miss. But I find the longer I’ve been away the less I miss them.

British country side – it’s as good here or better, the scale is breathtaking
Sport – Adopted baseball and ice hockey. Never that fussed about cricket or rugby. Do miss watching live footie.
Beer and pubs – the craft ale revolution changed that.
TV – UK now seems to show more American TV than America.

What? You have to pay medical insurance? To ****king right you should. Would do expect? A free service like here in the Uk.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I lived abroad and did go home to the UK and found it very difficult and frustrating to be honest. I'm much more suited to where I currently now live. I miss certain things and certain people but overall I'm very happy.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I moved to England 2 years ago from Australia. I enjoy life over here but the main reason I stayed after the first year was the football, without that I would have gone back.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Re: "Move back to Britain - No way" - any other Albion ex-pats seen Telegraph article

Moving to the US soon. Can't wait. Will miss the Amex though. :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

In all fairness for vast swathes of the US it's 3-4 flight just to reach a border. I was talking to a colleague in NC about this and he said it takes him 3.5 hours to fly to Canada and 5-6 to the Caribbean as he cannot fly direct and that's it, to go anywhere else it's serious long haul. I can understand why so few holiday abroad.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Re: "Move back to Britain - No way" - any other Albion ex-pats seen Telegraph article

In all fairness for vast swathes of the US it's 3-4 flight just to reach a border. I was talking to a colleague in NC about this and he said it takes him 3.5 hours to fly to Canada and 5-6 to the Caribbean as he cannot fly direct and that's it, to go anywhere else it's serious long haul. I can understand why so few holiday abroad.

Plus within the United States you have everything landscape wise. Deserts, moutains, snow, beaches, city breaks, country side.

You still can't beat the history and culture of Europe and further afield I grant you.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
We tend to put down the UK and yes there is plenty of ammunition especially if you read certain quarters of the media. However I do think we take certain things like the NHS, comparatively low crime rates and enjoying a wide range of public services a bit for granted. Many countries can only dream of such. Yes it feels like we pay through the nose for these services. We also seem to get too readily ripped off by the escalating costs of goods and services, fuel and shrinkage in packaged quantities etc.

However I would agree that the quality of life in the UK is gradually being eroded as more strain is placed on these services by population growth, immigration and demographic shifts especially the % of ageing population - all this combined with cutbacks in public spending mean it isn't going to get any easier.

It is my perception that punters are generally less tolerant, less willing to do something for the common good and seems to be a bit more of 'what I can get out of the system' mentality. This seems more obvious in London and the South East where traffic congestion, noise, pollution and the hectic pace of life are so prevalent.

But I would suggest the 'grass is greener' perspective of other countries isn't always the case.

It cannot be a picnic living in the Eurozone these days.

I thought New Zealand was a very special country but even they have street crime and socially deprived areas especially among the native population. Similar story in Australia with the native population marginalised and crime very evident.

The scale of poverty in the US is not widely recognised abroad but you don't have to look very far to see some very downcast areas. It is not necessarily the land of plenty unless you are fairly well off. They often take the mickey out of our NHS but deep down they are very envious of the concept. I do agree with Edna's point that many Americans think the UK is some quaint fantasy kingdom in a corner of Disneyland. They are drip fed a very insular view of the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here