Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

My son's first proper Albion match tomorrow - any tips?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He's 7, and not been to a big sports arena before. Do I build it up, or keep the whole thing low key?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Does he know all the words to GOSBTS ?

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
What time are you getting to the ground? If your first experience of something like this is emerging to a packed, deafening stadium in the run up to kickoff, well, that kind of thing will probably stick with him.

Personally I'd keep it low key then start to build it up from the moment you leave for the game so ideally his fever pitch coincides with, erm, seeing the pitch

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don't take him....you will be subjecting him to a life of unfulfilled ambition, terrible lows , the occasional high and an overriding pain of not supporting a team that win things like Manchester United.

Such is the joy of following albion for 40 years ( or it will be 40 years in two years time- it just feels like it)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tell him to get his first goalscorer bet on in good time. And watch that Sally Seagull, she's a terrible flirt.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Build up the stadium and what it's like inside rather than the game.

If he likes the stadium then he'll want to go back regardless, whereas if he's expecting an amazing game and it's a painful 0-0...well, he'll learn to love the team with time!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A key moment in fatherhood if you ask me. Took my son to his first game in December 2012 when he was 6. Didn't build it up but did tell him to stick close to me and, yes, have a wee before he left and at half time! Got there a bit early and had a walk around the Amex taking in the people arriving and leaving enough time to get him some food (the poor deluded sod chose a hot dog and liked it). Don't expect him to take much in though. Mine missed our goal even though it was a penalty and I spent the whole lead up to the kick saying "watch the penalty".

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Mine missed our goal even though it was a penalty and I spent the whole lead up to the kick saying "watch the penalty".

You could easily be talking about a number of our potential penalty takers

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Buy some earplugs or ear defenders! Took my 5 year old grandson to the Blackpool game last season. After the 3rd goal he hoped there were no more goals as the cheering "hurts his ears".

I did make sure we got there early so he wasn't worried by the crowds and so that I could show him the stadium when it was relatively empty so it didn't freak him out walking in at 2.45.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Tell him he will hear swearing, but dont tell your Mum and he shouldnt repeat it. back in the playground first day back after the summer holidays, '****ing hell Jonny, you're as useless as that Ashley Barnes C**t.'

other than that, I would suggest teaching him a couple of songs to join in with and Wait until the stadium is full and a bit of atmosphere before going to your seat, that image will stay with him forever...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Some good stuff here, so thanks for that. We'll be getting to the ground about 2pm. Really looking forward to it. Bridcutt scoring would be ideal, as my son plays the Bridcutt role for his local team.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Agree that taking your seats when the crowd is mainly in place is good for a maximum impact. I'm taking two of mine to their second match tomorrow. All three of mine enjoy visiting the shop, getting food and drink and seeing Gully. It's become quite expensive. They don't like the swearing south or the rudeness towards away fans/ all and sundry on the pitch, but they get used to it.

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
"Don't take him....you will be subjecting him to a life of unfulfilled ambition, terrible lows , the occasional high and an overriding pain of not supporting a team that win things like Manchester United."

This 100%

But he then should grow up knowing a bit more about life and have a balanced personality with a suitable grasp of reality.

Last edited:

Smeagull

Mar 20, 2012
I took my boy to his first game at the Withdean when he was 5. He wasn't exactly impressed but he did have fun seeing Gully and getting a bag of sweets. Didn't pay much attention to the game and I had to give him his DS in the second half because he seemed bored. Now 5 years on he comes to most games and enjoys himself every time.

I'd build it up a bit, get there a bit early and grab some sweets and get his photo taken with Gully if you're in one of the lower stands. Oh and hope for a good game!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Tell him to prepare for the worst & hope for the best. Oh, and make sure he knows that he should never attempt to commiserate with any groups of away supporters after the match if they've just seen their side roundly stuffed. :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here