Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who wont 'play' for Oscar

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Its been a big uphieval for the players if you include the new manager and slightly different playing style. Is there any evidence emerging of players that might not be too happy under this regime? I am thinking of those that may be showing a change of attitude of different body language.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
OK it will have been a bit of a culture shock losing Gus and one or two players might only be at the Albion because of his charisma but at the end of the day they are professionals contracted to the Club and not one manager. Yes there will be different coaching methods but this is football evolution not revolution, and not as if we appointed Tony Pulis or Big Sam who overnight are asking us to lump every ball via the aerial route.

Oscar seems to have given everyone including the DS a chance to impress, its their fault if they don't take it. No different to the rest of the employment world, managers come and go its largely up to the individual to get on with it. You would like to think most footie players would be happy to have a chance to work with someone like Oscar Garcia and his coaching team.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
regardless of all that , the current squad needs to get on with it....if you ain't happy...slap in a TR.....i would be more likely to say that the players are thinking " we really ****ed up last season...what a bunch of ***** we are"

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Bridcutt - looks very different to last year.

He does, but I think it is mainly due to being out of form and having a role where he has to be more offensive. I'm sure he will adapt... Although I'm still not convinced by his shooting ability!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
To early to say . If we had drawn or Buckley headed the winner last sat question wouldn't be asked .

Doubt any issues at all

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Raking over old coals a bit but I was told by someone who could potentially have an inside track that at least two players had been told by our former manager that they could expect to move to the EPL with him this summer. Perhaps he will come in for them when he has a job but I'm not sure TB will sell to him. Would that impact on form? Not sure but good players will adapt to different styles and OG's is little more than an infusion of pace/urvency that many have been crying out for. The biggest issue right now is injuries & fitness.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Wayne Bridge......

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I agree players should play for the shirt and for the people who pay their wages. But this is the real world we live in. I don't believe there are any players who "won't play" for Oscar. However I do believe there are certain players who maybe should move on and be replaced in order for Oscar to stamp his mark on the side. Greer would be the first on my list, Poyet signed him made him captain and he has been pretty much an ever present since. I'm not saying Greer is a bad player but he is not getting any younger and will be very much set in the Poyet mould, in fact I think we already have players at the club who could come in and maybe even improve the starting eleven. Now for the one I will get slated for,,,Bridcutt is another Poyet moulded player, stand out player of the year the past two seasons playing in Poyet's style and formation. I don't think a quicker tempo of play will suit him at all. He doesn't turn defence into attack quick enough and his speed of pass is very slow, more often than not the sideways ball, which is not what Oscar is preaching..If we get offered anything in excess of £3m for him I think he will be gone.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Raking over old coals a bit but I was told by someone who could potentially have an inside track that at least two players had been told by our former manager that they could expect to move to the EPL with him this summer. Perhaps he will come in for them when he has a job but I'm not sure TB will sell to him. Would that impact on form? Not sure but good players will adapt to different styles and OG's is little more than an infusion of pace/urvency that many have been crying out for. The biggest issue right now is injuries & fitness.

Sounds a bit like 'gross misconduct' to me, if he really has tapped up players for future moves. I hadn't heard that one.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Would explain why a certain manager was banned from talking to the players. He knew he was history, so what could he possibly want to say to any of them???...."Good luck and give you all for the new man???".....don't sound very likely does it.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
His body language toward Lua Lua was interesting against Newport. Jones also VERY frustrated with him. Lua Lua went up tunnel when subbed. Suspect he will be one of the first ones out IF he doesn't buck his ideas up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

delightful mix of inside info, rumour, speculation. already got a couple i see. problem is, even if true Gus hasnt got a job so its a bit acedemic.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
Bridcutt is another Poyet moulded player, stand out player of the year the past two seasons playing in Poyet's style and formation. I don't think a quicker tempo of play will suit him at all. He doesn't turn defence into attack quick enough and his speed of pass is very slow, more often than not the sideways ball, which is not what Oscar is preaching..If we get offered anything in excess of £3m for him I think he will be gone.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with this. Bridcutt is a fantastic player, and Gus worked out his sweet spot. This put his price right up there. He turned from a free transfer, into an international player worth millions of pounds.
I think if Oscar's system does not use Bridcutt to Bridcutts' full potential (as Gus's system did), then the club would be looking to cash in. After all, it's a business. If you knew your star salesman was not going to perform in a revamped environment, you'd be trying to maximise profit upon their exit.

However, we shouldn't be too negative if Bridcutt isn't the star of Oscar's show. The job he does is important to the team, and no doubt we wouldn't spot his worth until he went (a'la Hammond in League 1).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here