Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

When did football court and attract big business?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Am i right in thinking shortly after the football theatre that was Italia 90 money really started to flood the game?

Arsenal's promotion, in 1919, was "on historical grounds" rather than merit, thanks to underhand actions by Henry Norris, who was chairman of the club at the time. The allegations range from political machinations to outright bribery. They had finished in sixth place in the second division, the last time the competition had been played. Apparently it mattered that they had joined the Football League earlier than Spurs, who were relegated to make a place for them, and ignoring the claims of Wolves, who joined the Football League before Arsenal and had finished fourth.

David Conn's excellent book, The Beautiful Game? tells the full story of Arsenal's machinations to control English football over decades. The 1992 invention of the Premier League was, of course, a triumph for them.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Italia 90 for me for a couple of reasons.
Before that, no tournament had shown EVERY game live on TV... and secondly football became popular to a whole new mass as literally millions of extra people who hadn't really watched football before, watched Paul Gascoigne cry, and suddenly football became emotive to people who were unaware just HOW emotional football could be.. and hence a market was born.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Largely the Sky influence. TV deal, post distaster ridden 80s, all seater Premier League. A new face of the game with new money, big money. Man Utd floating on the stock market changed football as a market too.

1992, doesn't everybody know that?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I was going to make a 'when it began in 1992' gag but it seems several others already have.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here