Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fourth Investec Ashes Test, England v Australia, Chester le Street 9-13 Aug 2013

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Would love us to go with 4 seamers today...

My team would be:

Cook
Root
Trott
KP
Bell
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Onions
Anderson

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Would love us to go with 4 seamers today...

My team would be:

Cook
Root
Trott
KP
Bell
Prior
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Onions
Anderson

Our batting (Bell aside) has been disgusting so far, plus with our extremely negative tactics it'll be 3 seamers + Swann.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
England are unchanged, so no Onions...I bet that has bought a tear to his eye...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Hugely dissapointing leaving Onions out, some players are massively favoured in this England set-up. I'd have had Onions in ahead of both Bresnan and Broad.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Onions left out. Disappointing.

That surprises me. Given the build up he has had in the run up to this game, I thought he would have been nailed on. Personally, I think Trott is very lucky to have kept his place. James Taylor deserved a go on merit.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Hugely dissapointing leaving Onions out, some players are massively favoured in this England set-up. I'd have had Onions in ahead of both Bresnan and Broad.

Have you watched Onions this year, rather than look at the averages and react to paper talk?

Since the back injury he has lost a yard of pace, so I am guessing the fact that Bresnan can hold a bat means he got the nod.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That surprises me. Given the build up he has had in the run up to this game, I thought he would have been nailed on. Personally, I think Trott is very lucky to have kept his place. James Taylor deserved a go on merit.

:wozza:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England team: AN Cook*, JE Root, IJL Trott, KP Pietersen, IR Bell, JM Bairstow, MJ Prior†, TT Bresnan, SCJ Broad, GP Swann, JM Anderson

Australia team: SR Watson, CJL Rogers, UT Khawaja, MJ Clarke*, SPD Smith, DA Warner, BJ Haddin†, PM Siddle, JM Bird, RJ Harris, NM Lyon

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Can't drop Trott, he might have his faults in one day cricket but he's been excellent for us generally in tests since he came in to the side. Bairstow on the other hand is very lucky in my opinion.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Since when has Chester-le-Street been a test ground? What's its capacity and has it replaced one of the other six? I imagine hotel rooms will be at a premium in such a little town!

Hosted it's first test match in 2003. First international was a ODI in 1999.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Since when has Chester-le-Street been a test ground? What's its capacity and has it replaced one of the other six? I imagine hotel rooms will be at a premium in such a little town!

Durham is only 20 minutes on the train, that is where we stayed when we went to watch Sussex play up there.

They put in a lot of temporary seating for the test match.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

10 years. Capacity for Test Matches is something like 19,000.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Durham is only 20 minutes on the train, that is where we stayed when we went to watch Sussex play up there.

They put in a lot of temporary seating for the test match.

Newcastle is only 12 miles up the road as well...

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Have you watched Onions this year, rather than look at the averages and react to paper talk?

Since the back injury he has lost a yard of pace, so I am guessing the fact that Bresnan can hold a bat means he got the nod.

No, I can't say as I've seen any county cricket this season but with more than 50 wickets at an average of less than 21 on a wicket that is deemed to suit him he is worth a go. If a player performs well in the county game then what more can he do to get into the England side, especially when there are players in there who are not particularly performing well.

As for the batting, I am sorry but that is clap-trap. Pick your best batsmen to bat and your best bowlers to bowl. Bresnans batting in any case has been pretty dreadful in the past 10 or so tests he has played for England.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here