Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

More Gus-related disclosures from Paul Barber; if this stuff bores you, do not open thread

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
All of this. If Barber was really acting as out of turn as some are suggesting Bloom would've sacked him AGES ago. He's doing Bloom's bidding.

Exactly. And if Bloom sees the Amex haemorrhaging money then drastic action needs to be taken. The club comes first.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Okay, the Gus stuff..

I'm a little confused. Here it is implied that Gus was sacked because he 'didn't want to honour his contract'. i.e. the club didn't want to risk him leaving part way through this season. That sounds fair enough to me, but elsewhere we've been told that the club sacked Gus for 'gross misconduct'. These two accounts don't really tally, other than the club has found some 'gross misconduct' that was earlier deemed not worthy of instant suspension. Further supports the theory that this is all money-related, want him gone but don't want to pay compo.

Ah well. Perhaps we all suspected this anyway. Thanks for the info, don't want to get into another Gus binfest. Here's hoping B.W. doesn't open this thread :lol:

Sorry KG, I'm here. More assumptions from you. Gus is in breach of contract AND is also rightfully charged with gross misconduct (no quote marks required BTW).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It also doesn't explain WHY he didn't want to honour his contract, and the answer to that is essential before making any judgments. Was his working relationship with Barber untenable?

Sure but it cuts both ways. The club could have put an arm round Gus and smoothed things over, after all this was the day after the disaster and no one would have been at their best. That they chose not to, tells us that the relationship had reached a point of no return and all of the speculation is as to how we got to this point.

Incidentally do you think that Gus actually wanted to stay on as manager ? I suspect he was ready and willing to go, it is just the label, gross misconduct that he seems to object to. I also suspect that he had a deadline to agree to a compromise agreement and failed to do so. An 18:00 deadline would explain the Poyetgate TV sacking.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Fair enough, I didn't hear him say it. True about the 'not-dealing-with-contracts', although I have always been sure that this was a symptom of the problems between Gus and Tony, and impending suspension, not the cause of them.

Yes, refusing to do your job is a symptom. Right! And Gus is perfect in every way!

You are spot on, Icy, but there are too many who want to blame Barber for anything and everything, but will ignore what you've written because they don't want to blame Tony.

They know you're right but can't bring themselves to criticise Tony because of all he has done for the club.

Sad but predictable.

It's a simple fact that Tony Bloom has vast experience of multi-million pound financial transactions and the resources to back big investment decisions up. What he didn't bring to the Amex Stadium project is any significant experience of running a customer-facing business, selling the sort of products that the football club needs to sell to be a success. He's brought in Paul Barber to lead that work.

It would be absurd to suggest that all that Paul Barber does is implement Tony Bloom's detailed instructions on customer service. In that area, Tony Bloom's role is probably no more than to keep a watching eye on how Paul Barber is doing. Tony Bloom will take a strategic overview and provide general guidance (such as "take FFP into account").

As customers, we can take and express our own views about how we think we are being treated. We can moan (reasonably, in my opinion) about some of the changes in customer service that are affecting us. The "strategic overview" question for Tony Bloom to ask himself is how much our moaning matters and how much it should be balanced against the other issues that face the club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's a simple fact that Tony Bloom has vast experience of multi-million pound financial transactions and the resources to back big investment decisions up. What he didn't bring to the Amex Stadium project is any significant experience of running a customer-facing business, selling the sort of products that the football club needs to sell to be a success. He's brought in Paul Barber to lead that work.

It would be absurd to suggest that all that Paul Barber does is implement Tony Bloom's detailed instructions on customer service. In that area, Tony Bloom's role is probably no more than to keep a watching eye on how Paul Barber is doing. Tony Bloom will take a strategic overview and provide general guidance (such as "take FFP into account").

As customers, we can take and express our own views about how we think we are being treated. We can moan (reasonably, in my opinion) about some of the changes in customer service that are affecting us. The "strategic overview" question for Tony Bloom to ask himself is how much our moaning matters and how much it should be balanced against the other issues that face the club.

I think TB's lack of experience in this field is probably why he brought in Barber who has performed similar jobs at big clubs over the years. If TB starts to feel Barber is getting it wrong he may have a rethink, I accept. What few of us are probably taking into account is the massive change that moving from an athletics track to a state of the art stadium with the absolutely mind boggling swell in support that we have had, is going to be very hard to do seamlessly. I don't think any club has ever had this situation before?

The fact that there has also been a massive falling out with a very charismatic, popular and successful manager at the same time is unfortunate and has, imo, aggravated the situation even more.

Last edited:

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I think TB's lack of experience in this field is probably why he brought in Barber who has performed similar jobs at big clubs over the years. If TB starts to feel Barber is getting it wrong he may have a rethink, I accept. What few of us are probably taking into account is the massive change that moving from an athletics track to a state of the art stadium with the absolutely mind boggling swell in support that we have had, is going to be very hard to do seamlessly. I don't think any club has ever had this situation before?

The fact that there has also been a massive falling out with a very charismatic, popular and successful manager at the same time is unfortunate and has, imo, aggravated the situation even more.

As Lord B describes, it is much more to do with the clubs approach to it, rather than what they have to do. Let's face it, there is no easy way to be told that things are going to cost more, or that cuts have to be made here and there, but the bull-in-a-china shop approach with absolutely no humility or appreciation for the what the fans/customers DO bring is quite unacceptable.

I said on another thread that the club is taking the current level of support for granted, and it will do that at it's peril.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
More Gus-related disclosures from Paul Barber; if this stuff bores you, do not

I think too many people are looking at this from behind blue eyes when you think about no one knows what is like to be the bad man.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, Lord B, but my point remains that there is so much gratuitous criticism of Barber and little or none of Tony.

How much of what Barber does is at the instigation of Tony and the Board, and how much is at his own instigation with the agreement of the Board? I have no idea and, on that basis, I don't feel that I can be critical of Barber alone on any Club policy issues I don't agree with.

We all have issues with some things the Club does but too many on here seem to take great delight in blaming everything on Barber when they have no idea what has gone on behind the scenes.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that, Lord B, but my point remains that there is so much gratuitous criticism of Barber and little or none of Tony.

How much of what Barber does is at the instigation of Tony and the Board, and how much is at his own instigation with the agreement of the Board? I have no idea and, on that basis, I don't feel that I can be critical of Barber alone on any Club policy issues I don't agree with.

We all have issues with some things the Club does but too many on here seem to take great delight in blaming everything on Barber when they have no idea what has gone on behind the scenes.
The question I'm asking is: how much does our moaning matter to Tony Bloom? I hope the answer is: a lot.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
More Gus-related disclosures from Paul Barber; if this stuff bores you, do not

The guy has been brought in on a brief to help us beat financial fair play. If he does that right, it means we'll have more to spend on the playing budget as he'll be saving us money elsewhere, leading to a more successful team.

Some people just like to pick up in anything remotely negative. Look at the bigger picture.

Yes, look at the bigger picture.

In the future, young kids in town can't pop in to the seagulls shop, have a look around. Passing trade will no longer exist, as the shop will be closed. The tens of thousands of summer language students will no longer purchase any kit (you can see many at the moment walking around in replica shirts and training gear). I will no longer be purchasing gifts there, but elsewhere in town, as I can't justify catching 4 buses to buy somebody a player mug or a book for their birthday from the Amex.

I can't see anything but damage to the club's future by closing the town centre shop. Even if it was running at a loss, it must be peanuts in comparison to the amount that is spent on CMS's wages for example.

Closing that shop would be very short-sighted in my opinion. Why close it? If it isn't profitable, do something about it for Christ sake like any other business would have to do.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I doubt that costs for setting up a club shop will come under FFP rules and we have a previously spared no expense on infrastructure - so I would think Churchill Square is exactly where they're looking.

The current club shop is like some non league club's shop. If we do open another one it will be far more in keeping with the Amex image.

Hopefully it won't be like the store Leeds United have recently opened in the new Leeds Trinity shopping complex.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Why is it always all or nothing with commentary on Paul Barber?

I would happily forgo the Queens Road shop (and in fact haven't used it in years) or indeed pay another 10p a pint if it meant a successful team and sustainable future. I'm pretty sure that's where we're heading. On the other hand I still find the handling of the Poyet situation baffling (the admission no one knew he was going on tv just adds to that).

This doesn't make me Barber in or Barber out. As fans (customers) we should be able to constructively criticise any decision or group of decisions without being made to feel ungrateful towards Tony Bloom. And as someone who occasionally writes about the club I reserve the right to satirise them too. It doesn't mean I'm off to Barber's office with a pitchfork and burning torch or even that I think someone else could do better.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
There is some sadness about what needs to be done but it does need to be done. And Barber is Bloom. The hysterical schoolgirl approach taken by US and others to this never offers an alternative. They remind me of Poyet - give me more money, I don't care where it comes from, I don't care if it breaks the rules. Somehow they think they have a right to Tony's money. Saving £2 m , with I expect more to come, is going to hurt but it would be impossible to do painlessly. I notice no venom is expended on Barber's predecessor who got us into this mess only on the poor guy who has to clean it up afterwards.

Difficult to argue with this.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here