Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T Handing your notice in at work

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Hiya folks,

Ever so slightly off topic. Hope some NSC employment gurus can hep!

In my current role I am only required to give one week's notice. I don't want to leave them in the lurch, and was considering offering one month's notice. If I do offer one month could they conceivably turn round and tell me to leave within the week?

Thanks in advance!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
They could be bloody minded and accept your resignation pointing out only a week was needed and you can collect your P45 a week later. So it may be advisable to speak to a manager to see what the position is , they might like to know verbally that you are going in a month and want a letter of resignation one week before you leave or accept giving a month's notice instead.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
They could be bloody minded and accept your resignation pointing out only a week was needed and you can collect your P45 a week later. So it may be advisable to speak to a manager to see what the position is , they might like to know verbally that you are going in a month and want a letter of resignation one week before you leave or accept giving a month's notice instead.

Sounds a reasonable way of doing it. Cheers.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
stick to your contract....be polite...be professional.....they left themselves in the lurch by thinking you are only worth a 1 week notice period.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I handed my notice in earlier this year. A month was required, but I gave them seven weeks notice, to avoid being given some work that I knew was heading my way!

There was never any likelihood of them pushing me out early, but if they did they would have had to pay me up to my intended leaving date. However, that was a big company - smaller companies may work differently. Wouldn't have thought they could get rid of you early without effectively "sacking" you. (What does that remind me of?)

They will presumably use the longer period of notice you will give them to recruit a replacement. If that's the case, it's likely that they will welcome the fact that you are not leaving them in the lurch. If they make you leave before you want to, they need to initiate a formal dismissal process that includes giving you the right to appeal against the decision. That process can't be completed within a week. And they have to have a valid reason to dismiss you.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
stick to your contract....be polite...be professional.....they left themselves in the lurch by thinking you are only worth a 1 week notice period.

It's a company I enjoy working for though. So, given the opportunity in the future I may well look to work there again, which is why I like Seagullsovergrimsby's idea.

I handed my notice in earlier this year. A month was required, but I gave them seven weeks notice, to avoid being given some work that I knew was heading my way!

There was never any likelihood of them pushing me out early, but if they did they would have had to pay me up to my intended leaving date. However, that was a big company - smaller companies may work differently. Wouldn't have thought they could get rid of you early without effectively "sacking" you. (What does that remind me of?)

Big company / lowly position if it makes any difference.

They will presumably use the longer period of notice you will give them to recruit a replacement. If that's the case, it's likely that they will welcome the fact that you are not leaving them in the lurch. If they make you leave before you want to, they need to initiate a formal dismissal process that includes giving you the right to appeal against the decision. That process can't be completed within a week. And they have to have a valid reason to dismiss you.

Nice one, thanks!

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Depends on the organisation.

If you have a contract, a proper contract in a proper organisation with disciplinary procedures etc, they can't just sack you. In that case, it's fine to give a month, they'll probably appreciate it. Be mindful though if you're still on a 3 month probationary period, which I assume you're not.

If you're in a cowboy game, or it's cash in hand, just give them the week to be safe.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Depends on the organisation.

If you have a contract, a proper contract in a proper organisation with disciplinary procedures etc, they can't just sack you. In that case, it's fine to give a month, they'll probably appreciate it. Be mindful though if you're still on a 3 month probationary period, which I assume you're not.

If you're in a cowboy game, or it's cash in hand, just give them the week to be safe.

6 month fixed term contract. Been in the role over three months.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
A fix term contract will often reflect that of the organisations permanent contract, but not always. I would assume you would be subject to the same formal procedures to that of full time company employees, so it should be very difficult to just sack you for giving notice - it won't form part their disciplinary procedure.

Again, if it's a precarious environment where flexi-labour is rife, be careful and give the one week, look after your own needs.

Additionally, if there's a union branch there's no harm in just asking a rep what they reckon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here