Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Make do and Mend

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Are you a fixer or a chucker outer and start againer?

Thrifty Tips?

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
garden the former pots made from almost any anything
everything else the latter but only until they are "so yesterday"

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I like to think I can fix things, only thing I fixed was our dishwasher last month. It wasn't draining the water post-wash. I stripped it down to its pump motor, my Mother pops into the room. Goes ballistic, I ignore here and unclog the motor. Rebuild it, then voolah. It worked.

I've tried other things and failed miserably...

But I do think the government minister has a point, it is worth trying to fix yourself, because if you do repair it atleast then you know what to do if it happens again. It'll save money if you do fix it. I do think we're becoming a fairly lazy nation.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I try and fix everything, ususally fail but hey sometimes it works. Mylast success was the electric window on my car that was going to cost about 600 bucks. Ordered a new bit, watched a few youtube videos and fixed it almost perfectly.

Also got half my money back from the garage who misdiagnosed the probelm and charged me 100 bucks for the privileged .

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Always try and fix things, kids toys to washing lines, its not good being a throw away society

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
by nature im a fixer. however so many products today are not user-servicable or if they are, parts are difficult or costly to obtain, so repair becomes uneconomical.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Tried fixing cooker last week. No joy. I reckon its an easy fix, just a question of getting to the right bit. I have a grill and 2 rings working, but other 2 rings and oven do nothing.

I am thinking that the power splits into 2 circuits at some point, but 20 screws later and a bent panel I was none the wiser!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good question. I have always bought the best quality I can afford and this lends itself to repairs as opposed to disposal.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Generally just buy new stuff. However, I did fix my dishwasher this week, all by myself - took me quite by surprise. At 50, that's pretty much the only DIY I've ever done.
The top rack on our dishwasher has been buggered for about 4 months - it kept slipping down off its runner on one side. Grrr.

However, just this Saturday I'm delighted to say that a trip to the TIP resulted in me scavenging a perfectly good upper basket from a dishwasher of the same model and popping it into ours. It works a treat and has saved me about £120. Marvellous.

Next point of thrift - I am trying to find a cheap HTC One V. Hmmm.

The top rack on our dishwasher has been buggered for about 4 months - it kept slipping down off its runner on one side. Grrr.

However, just this Saturday I'm delighted to say that a trip to the TIP resulted in me scavenging a perfectly good upper basket from a dishwasher of the same model and popping it into ours. It works a treat and has saved me about £120. Marvellous.

Next point of thrift - I am trying to find a cheap HTC One V. Hmmm.

Simster last Saturday:

tip_ny_0330_03.jpg

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I get asked to repair 20/30 year old taps all the time but always suggest to the customer to have a new set, you can spend ages looking for the correct washer.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I like buying clobber from charity shops/booties/jumble sales, which nearly always needs a bit of repairing, which is where my cantilever sewing box with all the requirements inside, comes in useful. And it was bought, full to the gunwhales with haberdashery, at a booty of course :)

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
100_0571.JPG This is the inside of my 8 year old plasma, which I have fixed twice. I started counting the capacitors, gave up when I got past 90.P1000160 8x5.jpg I have also been fixing this. I have no idea who owned it, and thought that would be something good to stick on the side of a dinghy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here