Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Partridge - Alpha Papa

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Saw it last night in a 90% full Brighton Marina. Some laugh out load moments and a decent film. A fairly weak storyline to be fair but Coogan is on top form and fleshed out a 30 minute tv episode to a 90 minute cinema experience pretty well. One scene with Partridge trapped in a window trying to break INTO the Seige with his trousers caught was hilarious. Probably worth a second watch as plenty of clever one lines and jokes to be savoured again.

A solid 7.6.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
No. Hardly watched any.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" you say what you like about Jesus but Neil Diamond will always be king of the Jews "

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
to apprentice " never, ever criticise Muslims, only ever criticise Catholics and Jews a little bit "

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The first series of I'm Alan Partridge is as close to comedy perfection as I have seen. I can watch any of those episodes over and over. Mid Morning Matters is also genius and the addition of Tim Key as Sidekick Simon is sublime.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
The first series of I'm Alan Partridge is as close to comedy perfection as I have seen. I can watch any of those episodes over and over. Mid Morning Matters is also genius and the addition of Tim Key as Sidekick Simon is sublime.

Yep. Barely a wasted line of dialogue. Not seen much better.

Off to see the film tonight.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Yeah, the storyline was ok, the storyline is just a way to get as many laughs out of Partridge as it can, and it did.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw the film yesterday afternoon and it was very funny. Such a strange thing to call a film nowadays, so few produced that are out and out comedies. Barely a soft moment in it, not horribly watered down, and generally amusingly foul. Meade liked.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What an excellent thread, I have to wait till the 24th before it is out but am definitely looking forward to it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I saw it at the Duke of Yorks and Coogan and Lowry (the director) were there for a Q&A and had an obligatory photo with the man himself as well :)

As for the film I think US is right. Non partridge fans will find humour as a stand alone. For partridge fans agree with the 9.4 rating.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
So many people haven't seen Mid Morning Matters.. it's superb. I think it's currently downloadable on Sky On Demand for free

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
So many people haven't seen Mid Morning Matters.. it's superb. I think it's currently downloadable on Sky On Demand for free

It's brilliant. You can also find a few episodes on Youtube.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not seen the film yet but I adore I'm Alan Partidge. Its up there with Fawlty Towers, The Office, The Thick of It and Blackadder as the finest British comedy known to man.

However, I watched Steve Coogan: Stand Up Down Under on Sky Atlantic last night, and Coogan did not come across well. Its a fly-on-the-wall thing following him on a tour of Australia and New Zealand to some small-ish venues, and he clearly hated every minute of it. Morose, miserable, self-obsessed and whiney, he almost came across as a parody of his Partridge character, and despite his efforts at being funny and ironic to the camera, off stage he was anything but.

At one point they showed him on stage delivering one of his jokes as one of his other characters, which went something like:

"A bloke down our road won the lottery the other day. I went down there to congratulate him and said 'oh you must be so sick of people you barely know coming up to you now pretending to be your friend eh ?'. To which he replied 'who are you' ??."

This was met with a toe-curling, stony silence from the audience. Coogan came off stage and was incredulous at this. "Its like the Village of the Damed here. No reaction, nothing, not so much as a titter". Errr Steve, thats probably because it was a bit shit.

Felt a bit sad for him. I really don't think Coogan can do anything well except Partridge, which probably pisses him off to be fair. All his other characters are shite.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I've not seen the film yet but I adore I'm Alan Partidge. Its up there with Fawlty Towers, The Office, The Thick of It and Blackadder as the finest British comedy known to man.

However, I watched Steve Coogan: Stand Up Down Under on Sky Atlantic last night, and Coogan did not come across well. Its a fly-on-the-wall thing following him on a tour of Australia and New Zealand to some small-ish venues, and he clearly hated every minute of it. Morose, miserable, self-obsessed and whiney, he almost came across as a parody of his Partridge character, and despite his efforts at being funny and ironic to the camera, off stage he was anything but.

I saw that too. I wasn't expecting him to be a barrell of laughs off stage, but at times he was almost Brent-like when he was doing his PR gigs in the hotspots of the M4 corridor!

I think it's fairly well known that he has or had frustrations or even a sense of mis-justice that none of his other characters took off as well as AP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here