Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's Just Sunk In...

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Good luck Oscar!

Wigan just signed James McClean from Sunderland - very good player

QPR in talks to sign Scott Parker apparently - great player at this level

Reading bidding to take Suarez on loan - OK I made that up, but they've got a decent squad.

We're struggling to sign anybody of note due to FFP considerations.

Makes you realise once again what a bloody golden opportunity to reach the Prem that we missed last season, with the previously relegated teams from the Prem struggling which is not going to be the case this season. I really think it will be an absolutely amazing achievement if we are able to get in the play offs this season. Reality check.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I agree, last year was 'the year' to go up.

Lets not forget QPRs squad at the moment is stupidly strong, Wigan signing Holt (£2m!), Reading already a good squad, and adding Bridge. Forest looking very strong.

We have actually gone backwards in terms of signings.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Agree with pretty much all of this. Last year was a HUGE opportunity, sadly missed.

And to make it worse Palace will come down next season with a swelled bank balance, having got lucky last year with a pretty average squad (barring obviously Zaha).

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I still feel cheated in some sense by last season's antics - but I can't quite put my finger on why
or who to blame.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I agree, last year was 'the year' to go up.

Lets not forget QPRs squad at the moment is stupidly strong, Wigan signing Holt (£2m!), Reading already a good squad, and adding Bridge. Forest looking very strong.

We have actually gone backwards in terms of signings.

Both of you are sooooo boring!! Shut up moaning and just support the club... How many more people will continue winging like feckin children.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I still feel cheated in some sense by last season's antics - but I can't quite put my finger on why
or who to blame.
I can Poyet lost us that semi final out of spite, not playing an attacking line plus leaving Vicente out of the side criminal I actually feel sick thinking about it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This time last year we not yet signed Orlandi, Spanish, Hammond, and Dobbie ( :lolol: ).

Upson and Ulloa didn't arrive until January.

Very few knew these players were coming to us.

We've still got at least 3 INS to come, surely ? ???

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Both of you are sooooo boring!! Shut up moaning and just support the club... How many more people will continue winging like feckin children.

I'm not moaning. Just saying at the moment, a lot of teams have got significantly stronger, making Premiership signings, and we are going backwards.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I can Poyet lost us that semi final out of spite, not playing an attacking line plus leaving Vicente out of the side criminal I actually feel sick thinking about it.

I blame the players as much as Poyet. Once the players are on the pitch, there is very little the coaching staff can do, a lot of players let themselves, and us down over 2 legs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We glimpsed the promised land and had it snatched away by our biggest rivals, and it hurts even more that we lost and they went all the way.

Shit happens and nothing we can do about it now. I refuse to let it mar this season. I accept that we may have blown our best chance but I live in hope that once Oscar settles in properly, which may take a few months, we will be watching our team playing great football and maybe flirting with at least the playoffs. Turning over any of the teams with massive budgets and on paper better teams will be all the sweeter, if it happens.

We can't do anything about the teams signing players that we can only dream about, I can't get all twisted up about it.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I'm not moaning. Just saying at the moment, a lot of teams have got significantly stronger, making Premiership signings, and we are going backwards.

I don't think we're going backwards - as I believe by the end of this month we will have a squad on a par at least with last years. We are only a good quality left back away from that, and will also have Ulloa from the day one.

However, my point is that the teams relegated from the Prem are making signings that we couldn't ever hope for, James McClean and Scott Parker notably...

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think we peaked as a club at 7.40 pm, 13/5/13. I don't believe we will ever get to the position and opportunity for a few years again. A Golden opportunity, we should have gone up in 2nd place last season. I believe the squad to be older and weaker, the manager to be weaker and we are being left behind. The league is much stronger this season and we lost a lot of momentum with the farce of the 6 week Poyet suspention. Mid table at best, probably lower mid table, should be good enough to avoid relegation but that is it. The gate of 8000 on Tuesday is also alarming. The novelty of the Amex will wear off and with championship football long term gates will tail off to 18000 or so but that is worrying if we cannot balance the books at 26000. I am finding it difficult to enthuse for next season for a number of reasons.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Last year was a big opportunity wasted and it hurts more every time I think of Palace's bank balance and Poyet sitting miserably in the dugout during the second leg. We simply don't have much money to spend this season and won't be able to compete financially with the likes of QPR, Reading and Wigan. However, we can compete on the pitch with a couple more canny signings and with everybody pulling together. The fans HAVE to be patient this year and stick with OG regardless of early season form or bad runs and give as much support to the lads as possible.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Imagine being around Northumberland when the Vikings were marauding through, all horned helmets, burning huts, screaming Saxons and drinking blood out of skulls (this didn't happen).

That's what Grant Holt is going to do to the championship this year, but in GOALS.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think we peaked as a club at 7.40 pm, 13/5/13. I don't believe we will ever get to the position and opportunity for a few years again. A Golden opportunity, we should have gone up in 2nd place last season. I believe the squad to be older and weaker, the manager to be weaker and we are being left behind. The league is much stronger this season and we lost a lot of momentum with the farce of the 6 week Poyet suspention. Mid table at best, probably lower mid table, should be good enough to avoid relegation but that is it. The gate of 8000 on Tuesday is also alarming. The novelty of the Amex will wear off and with championship football long term gates will tail off to 18000 or so but that is worrying if we cannot balance the books at 26000. I am finding it difficult to enthuse for next season for a number of reasons.

As a point of interest who would you blame for us falling at the 2nd to last fence? Luck? Palace being a better/luckier/more committed team, Poyet's tactics, TB not releasing even more funds for players, the fall out with the board demotivating Gus, lack of heart from the Albion players etc???

I am somewhat confused by your posts backing Gus to the hilt when he seems to have had the tools to see us over the line and your post above would appear, to me, to lay some of the blame at Poyet's feet?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
As a point of interest who would you blame for us falling at the 2nd to last fence? Luck? Palace being a better/luckier/more committed team, Poyet's tactics, TB nor releasing even more funds for players, lack of heart from the Albion players etc???

Barnes !

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011

Christ no wonder The Amex is so quiet compared to some other grounds, yep 8,000 the other night but Newport fans made it sound as though they were at home. Two seats away from sat a WBA fan down to see some relatives and he remarked about the lack of noise by Albion fans, why I ask myself. The only time we did make some noise was when the red was shown to Calderon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here