Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Randon Question re Gulls Eye

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
What happened to this fanzine, I haven't seen it sold for years and years?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Last edition was Donny at home at the Goldstone. NKOTB Scars and Stripes were the fanzine at Gillingham. Then came TSLR when at Withers.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Some would say that the Internet happened...

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Some would say that the Internet happened...

Not back then. Tho Lenny Rider has gone on record as saying by the time the last game of the Goldstone came around they were now young men with families and didnt have the time to devote to it.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Tim wrote this in August 2008.

I'm still looking to have a fanzine section in www.seagullsprogrammes.co.uk but still scanning actual programmes at the moment

--------------------------------------------

Here's a list of fanzines that we produced for the Collectors' and Historians' Newsletter in Spring 2004. I've updated it to include recent issues (and in the hope and expectation that The Seagull Love Review is a regular issue):

Regular fanzines
And Smith Must Score – 16 A4 numbered issues August 1988 to May 1991. Nos.1–14 numbered on pp2–3, no.15 on p18, n16 on p20.

Gull’s Eye – 100 A5 numbered editions August 1988 to April 1997. No.1 (“Lead by Example”) not numbered. No.3 (“Well Mr Digweed ...”) not numbered. No.19 (November 25th 1989) was wrongly numbered 20. Nos. 27–29 appeared as Gull’s Ear (see below). No.84 had main title “Swiz”. 1 special edition (not numbered) appeared September 27th 1989 between nos.16 and 17. The apostrophe in the title first appeared on issue 30. Blue covers first appeared on issue 40.

Gull’s Ear – 3 A5 numbered (1–3) issues September 1990 to October 1990. These correspond to issues 27–29 of Gulls Eye; see above.

Nine-Nil – probably 23 A5 numbered issues published for each away league game in 1990/91. There appears also to be an issue (numbered 1) for the home Zenith Data Systems Cup match v Crystal Palace February 1991. The Society’s collection is incomplete.

On The Up – 11 A5 numbered issues August 1995 to October 1996. First issue not numbered. Became ...
Seaside Saga – 25 issues numbered 12 (November 1996) to 36 (April/May 2000). Note that issue 14 was wrongly numbered 13 (Feb 1997). No.16 (April 1997 “Final Issue”) not numbered. No.17 (“I’ll get home one day!”) not dated or numbered. There were also two Seaside Saga Summer Special editions for subscribers only (1998 and 1999).

The Tommy Cook Report – 6 A4 issues numbered 1–6 Sept 1995 to Feb 1997, and 2 A5 issues (not numbered) December 1997 and February 1998.

Scars & Stripes – 26 A5 numbered issues September 1997 to May 2000. Note that issue 13 is incorrectly numbered 12 (October 1998) on front but 13 (November 1998) on p2.

Build a Bonfire – 19 A5 numbered issues December 1997 to November 1999. Evolved into ...
Gull’s Eye 2000 – 4 A5 numbered (1–4) issues January 2000 to April 2000. Issue 4 has title “Evening Eyegus”. Further evolved into ...
Gull’s Eye2 – 13 A5 numbered (5–17) issues May 2000 to 2002

Keep The Faith – 17 A5 issues. Nos.2-10 numbered. Nos.1 (Aug 2000), 11 (Aug 2001), 12 (Oct 2001), 13 (New Year 2002), 14 (Feb 2002) and 15 (April 2002) not numbered.

Brighton Rockz – 4 A5 issues numbered 1–4 July 2002 to December 2002

Come Over The Dyke – 4 A5 issues numbered 1–4 November 2004 to April 2005

The Seagull Love Review – 1 A5 issue numbered 1 August 2008 (continuing)

Short-lived fanzines
There is a Rat in the Camp – 2 A5 numbered issues December 1990 and April 1991

Seasons of Missed Opportunities –1 A4 issue Spring 1991

Pretty in Pink – 1 A5 issue published January 1991

One F in Falmer – 1 A5 issue March 2004

Other supporters' publications in a fanzine vein
Mose A Tribute! – 1 A5 issue produced by Gulls Eye team in conjunction with Graham Moseley’s testimonial in April 1990

Flying Eye – 1 A4 magazine by Gulls Eye team published August 2001

One note to the above: Keep the Faith - I only have up to the April 2002 issue ("Last ever in Division Two") and am not now certain that there were editions after that. I'm not sure Ben knows either now! But if anyone can tell me for sure that there are or aren't I'd be grateful.

The Collectors' and Historians' Society has copies of all the above which it archives for posterity EXCEPT some editions of Nine-Nil. We have issue nos.1, 3-8, 10-20 and 22. So if anyone has any other copies of Nine-Nil available, I would gladly take them off your hands and even pay for them!

You might like to know that we try to maintain two copies of everything in case anything untoward should happen to the first copy, but if there are fanzine collectors out there we have quite a few spares for sale.

Every year I cart them along to the Collectors' Fair at Withdean, and every year I cart them back home, so I am advertising them here for sale at 10p each, no bulk discount. Add p&p or handover at a match. I have dozens and dozens, from Gulls Eye to rarer ones like Rat in the Camp and Seasons of Missed Opportunities.

On the other hand, I feel it would be great if we could get the fanzines onto the web as a resource for posterity, with the permission of their originators (and perhaps a warning notice about some remarks that were the subject of litigation!). So if anyone has the time to scan in these fanzines to produce decent quality PDF files, I'd be happy for them to have these spare copies free.

If anyone is interested, PM me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The dinners were legendary and top fun. I heard rumours of a reunion.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The dinners were legendary and top fun. I heard rumours of a reunion.

We were all hoping to get together for the 25th anniversary at the Bolton game but in the last few days have thought about having a dinner to celebrate Roy's invaluable contribution to GE with all the proceeds going to his chosen charity.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We were all hoping to get together for the 25th anniversary at the Bolton game but in the last few days have thought about having a dinner to celebrate Roy's invaluable contribution to GE with all the proceeds going to his chosen charity.

This is a great idea.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Hi Lenny. This was a bit before my time. What happened after Gulls' Eye was sued for libel in the early 1990s and had to pay costs of £6,000?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Hi Lenny. This was a bit before my time. What happened after Gulls' Eye was sued for libel in the early 1990s and had to pay costs of £6,000?

Our readers rallied round, bucket collections, benefit gigs, the odd dinner and a charity auction including donations from Robert Maxwell and Stuart Hall, proving there's a little bit of good in everybody. Paid it all off inside 18 months, but a lesson in life learnt, it's not about whether you are right or wrong it's about whose got the most money, nearly a quarter of a century later if TSLR got sued, if I believed what they were writing was true I would back them everyway possible.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Our readers rallied round, bucket collections, benefit gigs, the odd dinner and a charity auction including donations from Robert Maxwell and Stuart Hall, proving there's a little bit of good in everybody. Paid it all off inside 18 months, but a lesson in life learnt, it's not about whether you are right or wrong it's about whose got the most money, nearly a quarter of a century later if TSLR got sued, if I believed what they were writing was true I would back them everyway possible.

Thank you for answering my question. I recently found a piece called 'Illegal Seagulls' which Attila has allowed me to republish in my blog. I think I might do it over the next few days.

Just wondering, did the club's attitude to Gulls' Eye soften? I have the impression that some Albion games in the mid-1990s were sponsored by Gulls' Eye. Is that right?

Likewise about rallying round, if it ever happened to TSLR.

Brighton Rockz – 4 A5 issues numbered 1–4 July 2002 to December 2002
The futility of the fanzine was well illustrated when the production team at Brighton Rockz bust a gut to rearrange its contents just before the print deadline, to welcome the new Albion manager ...

... Danny Wilson.

And some folk STILL imagine that I had a hotline to Dick Knight.

:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here