Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newport match highlights - some positive stuff

I didn't go but listened on the radio and the match highlights seems to bear out what I heard.

JFC unlucky with the disallowed goal - he wasn't offside as their RB played him on but you can see why the lino gave it - interesting to see JFC's play in the build up

Nice goal by Barnes who apart from that looked to have a poor touch at important times including the stuffed up effort before Buckley's disallowed goal.

Buckley unlucky with second half shot grazing the post after a lovely turn - similarly AEA with a lovely shot.

Could easily have been out of sight before Calde's harsh sending off and the rest is history.

Quite looking forward to Saturday :thumbsup:

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
I totally agree. I had a nightmare getting to and from the game and we lost to a minnow club managed by a half wit - but I actually really enjoyed the game. On another night it could have been 5-0. Lovely attacking moves, ince and agustien looked very promising and everything mentioned above. It showed the difference between a poor performance and a poor result and how they are not always one and the same.

The atmosphere in the stand was also much better, especially after the sending off.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Exactly my thoughts at the time - we had more than enough chances to win it, and it was just a mix of poor finishing and real hard work/little bit of luck on the Newport side that we didn't score 4 or 5. Defensively we lost our way a bit with 10 men but again, nothing that concerned me too much. Disappointed to lose after being in the lead again, but plenty to be happy about still.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Its true. First hour it was a case of how many, then the harsh sending off and the rest is history. The loss of Calderon for three was more concerning than the performance and result.

Newport took their goals well.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I didn't go but listened on the radio and the match highlights seems to bear out what I heard.

JFC unlucky with the disallowed goal - he wasn't offside as their RB played him on but you can see why the lino gave it - interesting to see JFC's play in the build up

Nice goal by Barnes who apart from that looked to have a poor touch at important times including the stuffed up effort before Buckley's disallowed goal.

Buckley unlucky with second half shot grazing the post after a lovely turn - similarly AEA with a lovely shot.

Could easily have been out of sight before Calde's harsh sending off and the rest is history.

Quite looking forward to Saturday :thumbsup:

Agree 100%, El Abd 's half volley was class. I would even go on to say Cantona'ish. Even down to 10 men we still had our chances to finish it.

Last season we looked scared of losing, where as now we are just trying to win.

I don't really mind any losses at the moment because there will be a time this season when everything just suddenly clicks into place. Win, lose or draw doesn't matter during this time, as long as the team play without fear and with artistic licence.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I watched the highlights (not the extended ones) and they completely flattered us. Newport had the better of most of the game, they just lacked the class that we had in the final third. That changed on 81 minutes and the rest is history.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
On the Sky highlights commentary it says that Calderon LUNGED in. No chance of getting the card rescinded then as Sky are of course never wrong.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I watched the highlights (not the extended ones) and they completely flattered us. Newport had the better of most of the game, they just lacked the class that we had in the final third. That changed on 81 minutes and the rest is history.

Agree the highlights seemed to ignore any Newport chances, but still we had plenty of chances to be out of sight before extra time. Oscar will have learnt a hell of a lot from the game from the point of the sending off onwards.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

With respect, that's nonsense.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005

Fair to say I disagree with that.

We dominated the game (yes they had chances but we were carving them apart at will) until the sending off and it was only due to poor finishing that we were not up by a lot more before Calde walked. The build up to the first goal was superb

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We were much better 2nd half and played fairly well. People just go on NSC who can't take losing and vent their spline straight away...

Agreed. The worrying and disappointing thing is that we seemed to give up the fight when Newport scored.

Indeed, we've undeperformed before against lowly teams like Woking and Wrexham but still managed to scrap out a result, even with 10 men against Woking I think

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here