Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Auschwitz

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Thinking of going to Auschwitz next year , has anyone on here ever been ?
Have looked on the website etc.
If anyone has, do you know a good tour company that does travel by train/ coach etc ?

Cheers. PB

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I went there with a fellow NSCer. He was massively hung over and kept laughing innapropriately. Ugly scenes.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I went there, but it was part of a school trip. Very harrowing experience, but much recommended.

There's no sensation like walking over a patch of concrete where you know hundreds of thousands of people have died. Definitely brings some perspective.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not Auschwitz but I have been to Belsen. Very moving experience, seems a strange thing to recommend but a visit to a concentration camp is very definitely worth doing imo

The harrowing images and thoughts apart the thing that really sticks in my mind was the lack of birds in what was then a countryside environment. I later found out this could be something to do with the amount of lime in the ground, maybe.

Sweetie

Apr 1, 2004
Went there last year whilst staying in Krakow.

Thoroughly moving experience and was just so sad wandering around imagining what happened there. Went with a company called Auschwitz Tours who picked us up and took us and brought us back again. Not the cheapest way of doing it but highly recommended.

Arrid

Jul 26, 2004
You should go, very interesting, if not depressing but worth the trip.
Don't get a bus, will take forever. Go to the tourist info (about 100 yards from train station in centre of Krakow), they will give you the train times, its then very easy to buy tickets for the train at the station.
From memory a far cheaper way of visiting.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I remember the guide,a young woman,could only work for half the year,because of how harrowing guiding people around was.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It seems wrong to say that it's somewhere I would like to visit, but from a historical perspective I think it would be an interesting and probably very harrowing experience.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
went there last year, hotel receptionist in Krakow sorted it all out for us. Highly recommended but so sad and eerie... was horrible standing in one of the gas chambers :(

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I was there on my 30th birthday. It's simply a must visit for me if you're in Krakow.

Got a tour with tickets included, though I know it's alot cheaper if you get there yourself. Probably about an hour or so out of town.

Make sure you go to the 'second' camp at Birkenau as well.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I went to Krakow last month and would massively recommend it.

Auschwitz was well worth a visit. In fact, I'd say people SHOULD go there. Harrowing afternoon but something I sort of think people should go through just to fully appreciate exactly what happened. I had studied it at school etc but the sheer scale of it is far easier to appreciate in person.

I got an organised trip. It cost about £25 and it included a tour guide etc. I was quite happy with that as it took the bother out of getting their and back but equally, its quite easier to get their on the local buses and if I went back with someone who had not been I would do that as the tour I was on didn't allow for you to take your time looking round. You weren't rushed as such, but they did a miss a few bits out.

Also, if anyone is going, drop me a PM because the guidebook I had for Krakow included a suggested tour of the Jewish area, ending with Schindler's factory museum which is definitely worth a visit, with information about what you are walking by etc.

Frank Dux

Jul 24, 2003
Reigate
I was there on my 30th birthday. It's simply a must visit for me if you're in Krakow.

Got a tour with tickets included, though I know it's alot cheaper if you get there yourself. Probably about an hour or so out of town.

Make sure you go to the 'second' camp at Birkenau as well.

Agreed, the sheer scale of berkenhau was probably what got me the most, it goes on for ever! - try to go if you can.

We were on a football tour & went in mini bus - picked up a tourguide there very easily

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
...the Jewish area, ending with Schindler's factory museum which is definitely worth a visit, with information about what you are walking by etc.

Yeah think this is Kazimierz? Definitely worth a visit.

Loads of bars round Kazimierz which all appeared to be veritable CRUMPET FACTORIES as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here