Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Vintage

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Used to mean cheap and second hand. Now it seems to mean middle-class, bunting and cup cakes. This is all.

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
Cheap? Vintage has never meant cheap and I'd strongly oppose the suggestion that the term has been gentrified.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
An Ex of mine was into her "vintage" clothes, cameras etc. It was all very pretentious in hindsight

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
the term has been gentrified, or at least middle class mum -ified.

keep calm and keep buying old tat

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
It's a bit like the overuse of Retro, and seemingly that now many people use it as a term for something old, or 'Vintage'.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
see i always think of retro as more sixties/70s sort of north laine type who dresses like the fella off the big bang theory. all old airline bags and monkees haircuts.

vintage is accurately summed up by herr tubthumper as yummy mummies with bunting and cupcakes. more a 40s/50s thing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
see i always think of retro as more sixties/70s sort of north laine type who dresses like the fella off the big bang theory. all old airline bags and monkees haircuts.

vintage is accurately summed up by herr tubthumper as yummy mummies with bunting and cupcakes. more a 40s/50s thing.

I agree. And it used to be people just doing their thing; now it's an industry marketed to middle-class types who want to pre tend they're really really different and free thinking.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Used to mean cheap and second hand. Now it seems to mean middle-class, bunting and cup cakes. This is all.

Blimey, I know words change their meaning over time but I never knew 'vintage' ever meant cheap and second hand, as far as I was aware it always meant old, exclusive and expensive. Vintage Champagne, vintage cars, etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Blimey, I know words change their meaning over time but I never knew 'vintage' ever meant cheap and second hand, as far as I was aware it always meant old, exclusive and expensive. Vintage Champagne, vintage cars, etc

Fair point. Maybe my context wasnt clear? In terms of household items, furniture and clothing it, IMHO, has meant attic sales, flea markets, jumble sales etc. This is the vintage I was referring to. Folk would pick up old shit from these places and call it vintage. Now it's a very different scene.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Vintage is a reference to wine - usually a crop making fine wine.

What about thinking? Someone once accused me of having "vintage thinking." I took is as a compliment, the following "you ****" was taken as an insult though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here