Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

For Roy

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
For those who weren't there, and those who would like to read it. It will be in the programme on Saturday, along with a lot of tributes from people connected to the club.
Thankyou for the many personal messages last night. As Buzzer said, without doubt the hardest gig I've ever done.

ROY

Now there are those who walk on by
And there are those who make a stand.
We stood, and you were one of us.
My good mate Roy, at my right hand.

Those BISA meetings, Monday nights.
Bellotti’s letter: you had fun!
Through demos, protests, legal fights
We built a bonfire – and we won.

You wrote with wit and style and skill
For Gull’s Eye fanzine, programme too.
A pint in hand, a ready word.
You helped to make our dream come true.

A friend for two thirds of my life
Who fought so long our great club’s cause.
There in the Albion’s darkest hour………..
So sad we could not be in yours.

2011-02-19 005.JPGroy obit 3.jpg

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
I thought it was lovely and a very moving tribute. You were brilliant. Well done.

Rabeen

Jul 11, 2003
Worthing
It was a fitting and appropriately moving tribute - well done or holding it together, I'm certain I couldn't have.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
A very fitting tribute, well done and so sorry I was not there to hear it.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
For those who weren't there, and those who would like to read it. It will be in the programme on Saturday, along with a lot of tributes from people connected to the club.
Thankyou for the many personal messages last night. As Buzzer said, without doubt the hardest gig I've ever done.

ROY

Now there are those who walk on by
And there are those who make a stand.
We stood, and you were one of us.
My good mate Roy, at my right hand.

Those BISA meetings, Monday nights.
Bellotti’s letter: you had fun!
Through demos, protests, legal fights
We built a bonfire – and we won.

You wrote with wit and style and skill
For Gull’s Eye fanzine, programme too.
A pint in hand, a ready word.
You helped to make our dream come true.

A friend for two thirds of my life
Who fought so long our great club’s cause.
There in the Albion’s darkest hour………..
So sad we could not be in yours.

View attachment 45613View attachment 45614

Perhaps another addition to Dicks Bar wall?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Lovely tribute.

Felt Richie Reynolds could have gone into more detail on Mr Chuter though, rather than just saying he was the old programme editor. I don't mean that as a dig at him. Not at all. Was probably just reading from a sheet etc. Just felt that for people who were not aware of all Mr Chuter did I am sure it would have been nice to hear about it.

Great poem though. Very fitting and obviously from the heart.

Last edited:

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Great tribute. Well done and that Stoke picture is a classic and must go in the museum!

Sadly, Player was playing up last night and I missed it and I think many others listening in did as well.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I was staggered that you (just about) managed to get through it, Attila.
Nothing more fitting than a tribute as heartfelt as that

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Very good effort that :thumbsup:

Shame those of us listening on player were subjected to the Crawley match for a good 15 mins and thus missed the tribute and the applause. Thank you for posting it here!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It was a shame that there wasn't a full house to appreciate it

Disagree. It was most likely the hardcore former Withdean crowd, who were most likely to have known Roy. That, I thought, was probably why the applause was as heartfelt as any I've heard.

And John, great job. Right man, right words, right time.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Thanks for these kind words. I was at the Selden in Worthing last night to pay my respects to the place where he had his last drink and talk to those who were there. Roy spent his last evening (30th, Tuesday night) firstly sitting in the corner writing his (beautifully written, as ever) farewell note, then moving to the bar and sitting there, chatting to landlady and locals about the Albion, music, beer...the normal things. He looked ill, and complained about his back, but no one thought anything seemed different about him. He was just Roy.
At about 11.30, chucking out time, he left. 'What seemed a bit weird', the landlady said, 'was that instead of turning right to where he lived, he turned left.'
But Roy had been evicted. And he hadn't told ANYONE. He was turning left, on that walk to East Worthing station...........

I think it was most appropriate to do the tribute at the first game after his death, and Not Andy Naylor is right, it I would say it was mainly the hardcore fans who knew Roy who were there. Also I am due to be performing over this weekend at the Rebellion punk festival in Blackpool. We thought long and hard and decided that Tuesday was the best day, and I'd go and do my gigs.

I have had a lovely letter from Paul Barber. Though I fundamentally disagree with him on some issues I have never joined in the chorus of condemnation: I have always thought that he simply needs to learn, and will learn, what kind of club we are, and if Roy's awful death contributes to that process then at least that is a good thing. I think it will.

Dear John

I just wanted to thank you for what you did for Roy last night. I obviously didn't know Roy myself and sadly I never got an opportunity to meet him before he died but Paul and others have told me about the contribution he made – along with yourself and many others – to helping us to get where we are today. I was very touched by your poem and by the great personal efforts you made to ensure Roy's life was properly recognised after such a sad end. I was delighted by the reaction to your efforts, as I'm sure Roy's family and friends were, and by the huge respect shown by both sets of supporters. It's nice to do things that really matter properly and to ensure that our club's history and the people that help make it is preserved.

Kind regards, Paul

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here