Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Please support the team.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
During extra time tonight, a considerable amount of people were shouting abuse at Barnes and a few were also shouting abuse at Ankegren. Why do this? One could really see the crowd was getting to him from his facial expressions when the crowd was having a go at him. How do you think a player is going to play knowing his own teams supporters don't like him? These people weren't giving this abuse when he scored and they didn't give Ulloa that sort abuse when he missed chances. What exactly has Barnes done to deserve this? He put his all into the game and that is what matters. So please can people start getting behind the team?

BuddyBoy

Mar 3, 2013
People are behind the team, generally.

But if there's one thing I can't stand in the glorious game, it's fans shouting abuse at their own team/players. The sight of non-athletic, half drunk imbeciles screaming all sorts of rubbish at players is truly awful. The sense of entitlement is staggering and I urge these morons to take to the pitch and see how well things turn out.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Anyone shouting abuse at Barnes is tonight a wally. Save it for the East Stand lino and ref. his hold up play was exemplary.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
3 good posts - cue the non-athletic, imbecilic retorts in the morning......

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Agree about supporting the team but Barnes is the most frustrating player to watch. If he could finish he could have had five last night.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Byrne said that he could see from Barnes body language mid way through the 2nd half that he was affected by something. Was it abuse from the crowd or was it disappointment at his misses or something else?. He also said that Barnes was finding great positions and linking up well with other players. Apparently gave JFC unnecessary grief for not passing to him when he was in a great position to score. Did those of you at the match get the same impression?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
People are behind the team, generally.

But if there's one thing I can't stand in the glorious game, it's fans shouting abuse at their own team/players. The sight of non-athletic, half drunk imbeciles screaming all sorts of rubbish at players is truly awful. The sense of entitlement is staggering and I urge these morons to take to the pitch and see how well things turn out.

Well said.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Byrne said that he could see from Barnes body language mid way through the 2nd half that he was affected by something. Was it abuse from the crowd or was it disappointment at his misses or something else?. He also said that Barnes was finding great positions and linking up well with other players. Apparently gave JFC unnecessary grief for not passing to him when he was in a great position to score. Did those of you at the match get the same impression?

Pretty much summed it up. As usual when getting a rare chance at CF, did a good job and got in lots of goal scoring positions. After missing a couple, it's like he tried too hard and started rushing everything & his body language showed his frustration. The idiots certainly don't help. At one point, he had a long glare into the North Stand, presumably after some more sad abuse. The irony is he works his nuts off every game & gets genuinely hacked off when things aren't working out. And yet people still get on his back. If he didn't give a toss, he'd probably relax and score more.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I don't agree with personal victimisation of individual players especially from your own supporters but the senior players were woeful. Mind you better to be woeful now so at least Oscar can see that more quality needs to be brought in before the transfer deadline. Ince looks very promising, still raw, but has an attacking eye. Augustein will get better as he gets fitter. Hopefully just a blip and we go on to beat Derby on Saturday. :)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What is it about Brighton fans abusing their own players? Why do we have so many ***** following us? Idiots.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I don't agree with personal victimisation of individual players especially from your own supporters but the senior players were woeful. Mind you better to be woeful now so at least Oscar can see that more quality needs to be brought in before the transfer deadline. Ince looks very promising, still raw, but has an attacking eye. Augustein will get better as he gets fitter. Hopefully just a blip and we go on to beat Derby on Saturday. :)

They weren't woeful though. That could have been a cricket score. Only the finishing was woeful and even then we had a couple off the line and one very well saved.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
They weren't woeful though. That could have been a cricket score. Only the finishing was woeful and even then we had a couple off the line and one very well saved.

Our defending wasn't exactly spectacular! On another night, yes we would have won the game before half time. As I said, hopefully a blip. :)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The players are going to take time to adjust to Oscar and his style and Oscar is going to take time to decide on his best team. There is still experimentation going on and I imagine we are going to get more disappointing results before it clicks.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Pretty much summed it up. As usual when getting a rare chance at CF, did a good job and got in lots of goal scoring positions. After missing a couple, it's like he tried too hard and started rushing everything & his body language showed his frustration. The idiots certainly don't help. At one point, he had a long glare into the North Stand, presumably after some more sad abuse. The irony is he works his nuts off every game & gets genuinely hacked off when things aren't working out. And yet people still get on his back. If he didn't give a toss, he'd probably relax and score more.

Which is how I saw it.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The players are going to take time to adjust to Oscar and his style and Oscar is going to take time to decide on his best team. There is still experimentation going on and I imagine we are going to get more disappointing results before it clicks.

I think we're going to get more disappointing results overall. But hopefully more wins too. There's no doubt about it, we should have won last night and we should have led at Leeds in stoppage time. Just need to start hitting the net. I'm slightly worried about our fitness - all that time working with the ball straight from the off? But we're creating lots of chances, even if it's a far riskier game. I'm not convinced it will bring promotion unless we tighten up a bit but it'll be exciting at least.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
People actually supporting Barnes? Surely this won't last?

I've never been sure what he's meant to have done to cause such a marmite reaction with the fans, he always puts the effort in and, when played in position, usually does well.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Watching the missed chances last night, mostly down to Barnes, shows why OG is concerned that we dont score enough goals.

He did, but to be fair the majority those were in the latter pa rt of the game when they were tiring. Ulloa amlso missed a couple as well.

As you said elsewhere they lack fitness due to lack of preparation.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think we're going to get more disappointing results overall. But hopefully more wins too. There's no doubt about it, we should have won last night and we should have led at Leeds in stoppage time. Just need to start hitting the net. I'm slightly worried about our fitness - all that time working with the ball straight from the off? But we're creating lots of chances, even if it's a far riskier game. I'm not convinced it will bring promotion unless we tighten up a bit but it'll be exciting at least.

True, I doubt that we are going to see games where we have just one or two or no shots on target this season, as happened sometimes under the less adventurous but more defensively solid Gus style.

I think we are going to see some high scoring exciting games but we'll lose a few of them and get far fewer draws.

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ashley Barnes is certainly a trier, and gives a lot for the team. He was getting all sorts of physical abuse last night as the hold-up player, and his movement and link-up play was really good. Agreed his finishing could be better but as an Albion supporter effort and commitment were never in doubt.
We all get frustrated when things don't work, and although I did not hear any abuse personally last night, I know it goes on.
Brighton have not started 2013/2014 how everyone would have hoped, and so more than ever we need some sort of unity and least of all alienation of our own players.
I am not the biggest fan of Barnes but I do really appreciate the aspect that he tries. If he is deemed not technically good enough by Oscar then so be it, but in the mean time I feel we should get behind him.

:albion2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here