Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player ratings vs Newport

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
We were awful. Humiliated. Newport played very well. Congratulations to them. Couldn't pass the ball to our own players; far too many overhit balls upfield. What the hell is wrong?

Ankergren 1: At fault for definitely the second goal and probably the first, some terrible punching, some wayward distribution. Instilled no confidence in the defence. Why didn't we play Brez. Better keeper.

Calderon 6: Probably our best defender until sent off. Was he at fault? The crowd in West didn't seem to think so.

Greer 4: Not good enough.

El Abd 5: Not up to his usual standards.

David 3. I thought he did well at RB last season when asked to play there. Looked far too lightweight tonight.

Ince 6. Thought he did OK.

Augustein 7. I like him. Strong and good distribution. MOM.
Bridcutt 6: Better than in the friendlies, but still far from his best.
Ulloa 6. Didn't do a lot. If it was his stray pass that lead to their 3rd goal (I'm not sure) then he only gets a 4.

JFC 6: Not a lot to find fault with, but faded in the 2nd half.

Barnes 6: Well taken goal. Should have had a second.

Subs:
Masimenko 7: Played well. Give him the LB spot.

Buckley 5: Set up the goal. Not a lot else.

Lua Lua 6. Marginally better than Buckley, but not at his best.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
We were awful. Humiliated. Newport played very well. Congratulations to them. Couldn't pass the ball to our own players; far too many overhit balls upfield. What the hell is wrong?

Ankergren 1: At fault for definitely the second goal and probably the first, some terrible punching, some wayward distribution. Instilled no confidence in the defence. Why didn't we play Brez. Better keeper.

Calderon 6: Probably our best defender until sent off. Was he at fault? The crowd in West didn't seem to think so.

Greer 4: Not good enough.

El Abd 5: Not up to his usual standards.

David 3. I thought he did well at RB last season when asked to play there. Looked far too lightweight tonight.

Ince 6. Thought he did OK.

Augustein 7. I like him. Strong and good distribution. MOM.
Bridcutt 6: Better than in the friendlies, but still far from his best.
Ulloa 6. Didn't do a lot. If it was his stray pass that lead to their 3rd goal (I'm not sure) then he only gets a 4.

JFC 6: Not a lot to find fault with, but faded in the 2nd half.

Barnes 6: Well taken goal. Should have had a second.

Subs:
Masimenko 7: Played well. Give him the LB spot.

Buckley 5: Set up the goal. Not a lot else.

Lua Lua 6. Marginally better than Buckley, but not at his best.

Sorry but I thought he was absolutely awful tonight despite scoring and getting MOM.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Casper 5
Lopez 4
Greer 4
AEA 6
Calderon 5
Ince 7
Augustin 7
JFC 6
KLL 5
Buckley 6
Barnes 6

Ulloa 5
Maksimenko 5
Bridcutt 6

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Casper 4 - Made a brilliant save 1st half, looked his usual self there on.

Dave 4 - Not his best, am very concerned until Bruno and Calde come back.
Greer 4 - At fault for the 3rd goal
El-Abd 5 - Best of a bad bunch
Calde 6 - Was having a decent game until that awful decision.

Ince 7 - Looked quality at times, always keen to get forward.
Kemy 6 - Not fit but still a beast with great feet.
JFC 4 - Not impressed. Squandered a few chances and was sluggish IMO.
Buckley 6 - Great work to set up the goal. Tired towards the end.
Lua Lua 5 - Was quiet, had his moments. Not one to remember.

Barnes 4 - Easy finish, could have had 4 or 5.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
There is something up with LuaLua at the moment, seems very withdrawn and went straight down the tunnel when subbed. This surprised the bench as Matt Miller grabbed a water to pass to him, then shouted Kaz twice before running after him down the tunnel.

His twitter suggested he is off to Newcastle at some point at weekend, hope he sorts whatever it is and comes back firing again. He can be so dangerous.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
What worried me most was that Dave was very poor and looked very unfit, and quite unhappy with life. He's going to have to play there Saturday now even if we do sign a left back, and having played 120 mins it's a worry.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
There is something up with LuaLua at the moment, seems very withdrawn and went straight down the tunnel when subbed. This surprised the bench as Matt Miller grabbed a water to pass to him, then shouted Kaz twice before running after him down the tunnel.

His twitter suggested he is off to Newcastle at some point at weekend, hope he sorts whatever it is and comes back firing again. He can be so dangerous.

Yeah noticed he went straight down the tunnel and Oscar and Jonesy gave each other a perplexed look. Be surprised to see him in the squad at the weekend.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
Yeah noticed he went straight down the tunnel and Oscar and Jonesy gave each other a perplexed look. Be surprised to see him in the squad at the weekend.

Against Norwich too he was constantly going at Maksimenko and when bench giving him instructions looked disinterested. Hope he sorts it

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Ankergen 4

Lopez 4
Greer 5
El-Abd 6
Calderon 5

Ince 8
Agustien 7
Forster-Caskey 6
Buckley 5
LuaLua 6

Barnes 3

Maksimenko 5
Bridcutt 5
Ulloa 5

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I actually thought we were fairly good second half. Certainly not humiliated as the fact we had ten men made it hard. Thought Barnes was absolutely class tonight. Let his performance down with a couple of misses towards end but is the best finisher at the club imo. Great control tonight. Once did well and Kemmy. Yes, I'm being positive.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Odd that El Abd is getting 6s all round.

I thought he was bloody awful, didn't think Calderon was up to much either, though his card seemed mightily unfortunate.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Casper 4
Lopez 6
Greer 5
AEA 5
Calderon 6
Ince 6
Agustien 7
JFC 5
KLL 6
Buckley 5
Barnes 8

Ulloa 6
Maksimenko 6
Bridcutt 7

Referee -10

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Casper 4
Lopez 6
Greer 5
AEA 5
Calderon 6
Ince 6
Augustin 7
JFC 5
KLL 6
Buckley 5
Barnes 8

Ulloa 6
Maksimenko 6
Bridcutt 7

Referee -10

Thank goodness for that. Someone who agrees Barnes was quality!

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1

Indeed, Oscar blanked him.

Newcastle for court hearing or was that resolved?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Odd that El Abd is getting 6s all round.

I thought he was bloody awful, didn't think Calderon was up to much either, though his card seemed mightily unfortunate.

Felt he was the best of a bad bunch in terms of the back 4, would start him ahead of Greer. When all the others heads seemed to have dropped AEA kept trying to drive them on.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He may have been driving them on, but his passing was dreadful (he was the one who gave it away for their crucial 2nd goal), and his positional play embarrassing. Watching him & Calderon defend that left side was like a footballing Benny Hill Show at times.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
thought Calde, Ince, JFC, Agustien, Barnes, and Maksi were our better players tonight...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed, Oscar blanked him.

Newcastle for court hearing or was that resolved?

Re-trial not going to happen as not in the public interest because crucial witnesses are serving overseas with armed forces.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here