Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4th Official

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm pretty sure the 4th official played a huge part in the poor decision to send Calde off tonight. He was in convo with the ref and lino while the players were being treated. I just don't get this! He doesn't come on the pitch after a contentious penalty decision and tell the ref his opinion! The ref was well enough positioned to make his own mind up and maybe just consult the lino. Only other time I've seen this is the Burnley shambles. Why is this allowed to happen?

Where's the consistency??!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
He can tell the referee what he likes??

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I watched this with interest. Once the foul had been committed the ref was unsure as to what actually happened, he consulted with his lino for what seemed quite a while, the lino seemed unsure as to who was at fault and then the fourth official poked his nose in and within seconds the ref brandished the red card.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
The linesman, if anyone (and Edinburgh) got Calderon sent off.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
He can tell the referee what he likes??

But it very rarely happens. Would u stop the game to ask the 4th officials opinion on a foul if u were reffing? Of course not. Where's the consistency?

I watched this with interest. Once the foul had been committed the ref was unsure as to what actually happened, he consulted with his lino for what seemed quite a while, the lino seemed unsure as to who was at fault and then the fouth official poked his nose in and within seconds the fer brandished the red card.

Yep seemed that way. Also a very rowdy Newport bench didn't seem to be calling for a red at all which to me suggests it was as I saw it - a full blooded 50/50 which had nasty unfortunate consequences....

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
There was no foul initially given.
Ref played on and only stopped when he saw both players were down.
It was definitely the fourth official that got Calde sent off.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Agreed. Very junior official too, only just moved onto the football league.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
But it very rarely happens. Would u stop the game to ask the 4th officials opinion on a foul if u were reffing? Of course not. Where's the consistency?

The 4th official often communicates to the ref during the game via the earphone to point out errors in decision making and "off the ball" incidents which have gone unnoticed. If the ref asks the lino for his opinion of what happened because he can't make his mind up this is where the 4th official steps in (3 heads are better than 2 :lol:).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here