Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shorey

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Is it just me, or does anyone else think letting shorey go was a mistake? Unless he was going to be on high wages (Unlikely), was injury prone, or else-

He seemed a decent, solid left back. Nothing special, not to much flair, but solid. But I assumed we had a Barca B flairmeister lined up when we rejected him. Wheras now, we have no one to fill that giant hole wayne bridge has left.

Oh, and chicksen and masimenko are NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I have to agree. At the time I wondered if Oscar wanted his own man rather than a recommendation from the old regime but weeks later we seem to be no closer to a first choice left back.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I have to say i agree, at the time i wasn't bothered because i thought someone would come in but now we need someone like him. However, there obviously were things that Oscar didn't like or wanted differently in a player (on the ball control, speed, whatever it was) so maybe we wont live to regret it. But at this moment we need him.

Last edited:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Is it just me, or does anyone else think letting shorey go was a mistake? Unless he was going to be on high wages (Unlikely), was injury prone, or else-

He seemed a decent, solid left back. Nothing special, not to much flair, but solid. But I assumed we had a Barca B flairmeister lined up when we rejected him. Wheras now, we have no one to fill that giant hole wayne bridge has left.

In hindsight perhaps letting shorey go was a mistake. But re: Chicksen and Maxi, a lot of our squad was deemed "not good enough" in our first season back in the championship as was Painter last year but I think I'm right in saying we didn't concede a goal when Painter played at LB. I'm not saying we aren't in need of a senior LB but we haven't even seem Chicksen or Maxi play a competitive game yet...

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I agree not signing Shorey could prove a mistake, unless we get someone else in soon. However, I don't understand how you have already decided that the other two "aren't good enough".

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013

You're completely deluded if you think Shorey is the correct answer for Albion! We're ONE game in to the season with a MONTH left of the transfer window... Just how many times have you seen Chicksen play?

Too many people on NSC who just want Albion to spend for the sake of spending...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
To be honest we should be on the phone offering Marcos Painter a 1 month deal if he hasn't signed for anyone yet.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps we have a good chance of getting a quality young or experienced LB on loan before the transfer window closes and are willing to bide our time and make do for another 3 weeks??

Patience until the transfer window closes is needed here as I do not believe for one minute that Oscar is not aware of exactly where he needs to strengthen. Maybe he should start griping publically to speed everything up :rolleyes:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I doubt it could be classed as a mistake. At the time he was present he perhaps was asking for too much of an investment and too great a commitment to be in the first-team throughout the season, whilst Oscar was still in a position to make his mind up about the squad we had. Sometimes things don't work out, but that's to blame circumstances rather any individual.
And also in this case our blame-cannons are reawoken thanks to a slight fullback crisis and kaboom in a number of directions.
Other defenders are out there of a standard we require.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think it is more a case of the options available to us in that the transfer window close 2nd Sept and the loan window opens I would expect us to act during that time if OG thinks what we have isnt good enough.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My assumption is that Nicky Shorey is asking for too much money and that the club can get better value elsewhere. Even if we end up with a LB not quite as good as Shorey, it might be worth while - we might need to keep our powder dry for the January window?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You're completely deluded if you think Shorey is the correct answer for Albion! We're ONE game in to the season with a MONTH left of the transfer window... Just how many times have you seen Chicksen play?

Too many people on NSC who just want Albion to spend for the sake of spending...
finally a correct answer. Im astounded how many people can make such a bold statement when we are clearly still to make a number of signings. As we always are at this stage of the season. AND when they cannot have seen Chicksen or Maksimenko play more than a couple of times.

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
I think we had other targets in mind, when we had him on Trial. But they never materialized. He hasn't been signed by Millwall, so maybe his injuries could be the factor neither us or Millwall wanted him. I'm praying we can get somebody in before Derby, but by what Oscar said it is proving very difficult.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Based on what evidence? I'll assume you've seen them play often (or work for the club and see them train regularly), or that you're a complete bellend.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here