Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

John Dudeney

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Here is a fascinating tale of a 'Shepherd Scholar' an autodidact who taught himself French and Astronomy. My question is, bearing in mind that Newmarket Hill is close to the Amex, does anyone know where the understone library cave is?

And is there a possibility that there are still books hidden in the hill?

http://yosp.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=346&Itemid=741&lang=en

Great story. I'd never heard of him before. I was at primary school with a Geraldine Dudeney, wonder if she was a descendant.

I imagine any books would have been donated to the school or Mechanics Institute.

Yes very interesting, agreed. She may well have been a descendant.
It amazes me that the history of Sussex contains hidden gems of tales to be told such as this.

Apparently, Ferring/Goring and West Worthing were once notorious for smuggling and at Highdown Hill a Miller called John Oliver built a tomb 30 years before he passed away, he supposedly used it to store contraband. The tomb is still there today. Not sure if any whisky left...

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Great story. I'd never heard of him before. I was at primary school with a Geraldine Dudeney, wonder if she was a descendant.

I imagine any books would have been donated to the school or Mechanics Institute.

I was also at senior school (Westlain) with Geraldine and her older sister Jacqueline Dudeney was in my year. Bevendean I believe they came from so not far from Newmarket Hill.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was also at senior school (Westlain) with Geraldine and her older sister Jacqueline Dudeney was in my year. Bevendean I believe they came from so not far from Newmarket Hill.

That's right: she was at Bevendean. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a connection, as you say, it's not very far away.

I do love the ways that old names do keep cropping up when one starts looking into Sussex history.

tip top

Kandidate
Jun 27, 2007
dunno I'm lost
Is this john who's parents ran thw dew drop in peacehaven?

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
What a fascinating website. Thanks mate for pointing me in its direction

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here