Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Met apologise for mistakes in Ian Tomlinson case

Dandyman

In London village.
So in summary a member of the Met killed somebody, the Met lied about it and the scumbag that killed an innocent man escaped jail. Gives you a wonderful sense of confidence does n't it?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23573327

Had the Guardian not been given the footage of the incident, I very much doubt this would have ever emerged.

How the police officer in question didn't get convicted of manslaughter is beyond me.

Do you need to ask ? Pigs looking after themselves. To worried about chasing around some kid for some weed.

So in summary a member of the Met killed somebody, the Met lied about it and the scumbag that killed an innocent man escaped jail. Gives you a wonderful sense of confidence does n't it?

Indeed.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And so in roll the resident police haters spouting their usual sh1te.

Do you know what, I think the British public understand that mistakes will be made & the occassional bad apple will need to be dealt with. What I don't think the British public can abide (and the Met has been especially guilty of this) are the constant attempts to cover it up.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Unfortunately the prosecution couldn't persuade the jury of his guilt.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Unfortunately the prosecution couldn't persuade the jury of his guilt.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall. I mean the video evidence is fairly conclusive. Policeman uses an unnecessary show of force, Tomlinson dies from internal bleeding as a result of his injuries. I'm missing out the bit where the Met tried to cover it up with a dodgy autopsy claiminghe had a heart attack of course.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
to little
to late
and has that bullying ******* been charged
there are some very good police out there and he just got them hated a little more

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall. I mean the video evidence is fairly conclusive. Policeman uses an unnecessary show of force, Tomlinson dies from internal bleeding as a result of his injuries. I'm missing out the bit where the Met tried to cover it up with a dodgy autopsy claiminghe had a heart attack of course.

The coroner recorded a verdict of unlawful killing but a jury found the copper not guilty of manslaughter.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The coroner recorded a verdict of unlawful killing but a jury found the copper not guilty of manslaughter.
I'm no lawyer but I'm not quite sure why the prosecution persued a case of manslaughter. It was an act of pure bullying thuggery but equally it was surely reasonable to assume nobody was going to die from being pushed to the ground. I'd have thought ABH was more likely to secure a conviction. Perhaps then this moron could have been stripped of his pension, seeing as he had form for this sort of thing.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I'm no lawyer but I'm not quite sure why the prosecution persued a case of manslaughter. It was an act of pure bullying thuggery but equally it was surely reasonable to assume nobody was going to die from being pushed to the ground. I'd have thought ABH was more likely to secure a conviction. Perhaps then this moron could have been stripped of his pension, seeing as he had form for this sort of thing.

I don't know enough legal stuff to say, but as a death occurred, I suppose manslaughter was the charge/count to go with. There has been a case recently where one punch was enough to cause death so a push to the ground of someone who wasn't well can be presumed to cause a death. Police cannot just go round pushing people about when they don't know their medical history. If someone was on warfarin for instance, a push can cause a cut which could then lead to bleeding to death. It was fairly obvious that he wasn't a protestor.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Equally, I'm no lawyer & may well be wrong but isn't the distinction between manslaughter & murder that the former does not involve intent to kill. Manslaughter seemed the correct charge to go for if that is the case.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Tomlinson may well have got a fair trial if the pathologist hadn't lied about the cause of death in his first and second pathology reports. I think it's pretty clear the pathologist was giving the result the police wanted to hear and making it impossible for the prosecution to prove that the cause of death was by some meat-head copper who should be doing a 5 stretch.

I'm generally pro-police but the way the police act, dress and generally intimidate at demonstrations is IMO not good for a free society.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don't think the real problem here is what he did, that is clearly wrong and needed to be punished by the courts. What is much more worrying and indefensible IMO is the lengths that the Met went to in avoiding their responsibility to justice. Every time they or any police force for that matter close ranks and defend thuggery like this, they lose yet more of the public trust. A trust that has been all but destroyed in the last 20 years.

Allowing Police officers to 'retire' when under serious investigation or to investigate complaints themselves (IPCC? don't make me laugh) makes a mockery of of both justice and the police force itself.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
And so in roll the resident police haters spouting their usual sh1te.
You don't have to be a police hater to say that PC Harwood is a bullying thug and that the pathologist was a lying toad. I bet there are serving police officers who post on here whose sentiments are similar. Can't believe you want to defend the police on this when even the Met have apologised.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you know what, I think the British public understand that mistakes will be made & the occassional bad apple will need to be dealt with. What I don't think the British public can abide (and the Met has been especially guilty of this) are the constant attempts to cover it up.

This.

FREDBINNEY

Banned
Dec 11, 2009
With the tv evidence they had , there is no way that the met wouldve closed ranks around Harwood if Tomlinson had been anything other than a white male

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here