Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Afternoon Training?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
During my lunch, I noticed a tweet by Jake Forster-Caskey saying "Still need to get used to this training in the afternoon."

Is this a new thing under Oscar?

It makes sense to me that players train at the same time they usually play. In fact one of the things that came out after investigation into England's poor performance at the last Rugby World Cup was that they team trained in the mornings, but most of their matches were in the evening. This caused players to complain that they found it tough to prepare for matches.

I just wondered whether this was an Oscar thing, and is it uncommon in English football?

[tweet]364358412412665856[/tweet]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe Oscar doesn't like playing golf in the afternoons :wink:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When Inigo Calderon was on the excellent Albion Roar back in March, he said he found it a bit odd when he first came to England to train in the morning. He was used to training in the afternoon in Spain.

It actually makes more sense. Competitive matches are mostly in the afternoon, so you'd be better off training in conditions you're used to playing in.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Makes much sense to train around the same time you play competitive matches. You can get into a routine that way that doesn't change on match days.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be doing both morning AND afternoon sessions.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Absolutely no reason why they shouldn't be doing both morning AND afternoon sessions.

Indeed. But they will be needing a pay increase to accommodate the new regime.

I saw big Brez wandering through Brighton station, in shorts and sandals, with a rather cute lady at about 12 with no obvious kit bag with him.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
This has always struck me as a bit weird that they train in the mornings and play afternoon/evening.

When training for long runs, a lot of the training guides tell you to train around the same time as the race will be, so that the body gets used to exercising at that time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder what Oscar's first 'misstep' will be.

So far I don't think he's put a foot wrong.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
One of the players recently (think it was Calde) said that they go in for a session in the morning, have a break early afternoon, and then go back for another session later in the afternoon. Makes sense to me, especially with the recent hot weather.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It makes sense to me that players train at the same time they usually play. In fact one of the things that came out after investigation into England's poor performance at the last Rugby World Cup was that they team trained in the mornings, but most of their matches were in the evening. This caused players to complain that they found it tough to prepare for matches.

Brilliant! An investigation that gave excuses for failure when everyone knew they weren't good enough.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brilliant! An investigation that gave excuses for failure when everyone knew they weren't good enough.

Anyone for swimming?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here