Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"90th" minute capitulation a

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Here's one for those stat men out there with an overly active poindextrose gland - how many times since we've been back in The Championship have we conceded a result changing goal in the "90th" minute? I reckon it must be well into double figures by now......???

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
leeds have a habit of s****ing us very close to the end....that's it from me.

Didn't we score last minute goals in our previous two visits to Elland Road?

Navarro's winner was certainly late, can't recall how close Ulloa's was to the end.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Forest & Birmingham were both goalkeeping howlers (from different keepers). Can't really legislate for that. Other than not letting teams shoot in added time....

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Off of the top of my head Wolves away, Bolton home, Birmingham away, Leeds Utd home and away. That's all I can think of.

Wolves away, from memory, was 2-2 when the fourth official flashed up the time added on. We scored, then we went to sleep and allowed them to walk through our midfield to equalise. So yes, we did let in a goal late on and lost two points. We really should have won that day - I think the players' heads were already on the bus trip home after they thought they had won it.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Forest & Birmingham were both goalkeeping howlers (from different keepers). Can't really legislate for that. Other than not letting teams shoot in added time....

Goalkeeping faux pas are no different from defensive lapses surely?!.....these events still form part of the list of last minute, or added time incidents leading to goals conceded.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For 2012-13
Scored
Peterborough +2 (1pt became 3)
Blackburn +1 (0pt became 1)
Blackpool 0 (3pts stayed 3pts)

Won 3 points due to goals scored minutes 90 to 90+6

Conceded
Wolves -2 (3pts became 1)
Huddersfield 0 (3pts stayed 3)
Bolton -2 (3pts became 1)
Birmingham -2 (3pts became 1)
Forest -2 (3pts became 1)

Lost 8 points to goals conceded 90 to 90+6

The season before requires a bit more work...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Re late goals in matches. The stats for goals scored / conceded 85 mins plus in the Championship:

2011/12: F 11 A 6 +5 Points won 12, points lost 7

2012/13: F 10 A 6 +4 Points won 7, points lost 9

2013/14: F 0 A 1 -1 Points won 0, points lost 1

CUMULATIVE: F 21, A 13, Points won 19, Points lost 17

And 4 of the points lost in 2012/13 were where scores were level going past 85 mins, we scored then the opposition score.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For 2012-13
Scored
Peterborough +2 (1pt became 3)
Blackburn +1 (0pt became 1)
Blackpool 0 (3pts stayed 3pts)

Won 3 points due to goals scored minutes 90 to 90+6

Conceded
Wolves -2 (3pts became 1)
Huddersfield 0 (3pts stayed 3)
Bolton -2 (3pts became 1)
Birmingham -2 (3pts became 1)
Forest -2 (3pts became 1)

Lost 8 points to goals conceded 90 to 90+6

The season before requires a bit more work...

For 2011-2012

Scored
Doncaster +2
Forest +2
Leicester +2
Leeds +2
Portsmouth 0

8 points won due to goals in 90 to 90+8 minutes

Conceded
Cardiff 0
Blackpool -2
Leeds -2
Palace 0
Reading 0
Forest -2

6 points lost to goals in 90 to 90+8 minutes

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Do these figures have any meaning? Are they surprising?

We play football on the deck, we don't "launch it long" in desperation. Many goals scored in injury time or at the death ARE as a result of a big punt forward, so it doesn't surprise the statistics are not wildly in our favour on this one.

One thing I noticed about the whole "late goals" issue is how many Buckley gets from 80mins+. I reckon half of his goals come in this period, if not more.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Re late goals in matches. The stats for goals scored / conceded 85 mins plus in the Championship:

2011/12: F 11 A 6 +5 Points won 12, points lost 7

2012/13: F 10 A 6 +4 Points won 7, points lost 9

2013/14: F 0 A 1 -1 Points won 0, points lost 1

CUMULATIVE: F 21, A 13, Points won 19, Points lost 17

And 4 of the points lost in 2012/13 were where scores were level going past 85 mins, we scored then the opposition score.

Interesting when you look at the stats. The assumption is we always concede late and have lost loads of points as a result, whereas in fact the opposite is true. Tells you something about the psychology of football fans - we remember when we c*ck things up but don't remember when things have gone our way.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Interesting when you look at the stats. The assumption is we always concede late and have lost loads of points as a result, whereas in fact the opposite is true. Tells you something about the psychology of football fans - we remember when we c*ck things up but don't remember when things have gone our way.

very true, I had certainly convinced myself we were always letting it slip at the death, glad to be wrong and disappointed to have come across as such a glass half full merchant!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Wolves away, from memory, was 2-2 when the fourth official flashed up the time added on. We scored, then we went to sleep and allowed them to walk through our midfield to equalise. So yes, we did let in a goal late on and lost two points. We really should have won that day - I think the players' heads were already on the bus trip home after they thought they had won it.

Wolves away was quite the most frustrating game I saw all last season. The game was won with Dobbie's late pen ( approx 89 mins ) to put us 3-2 up. Ten man Wolves then put us under pressure, early in added on time and gained a corner. Johnson got his head to the ball and it scraped past the outside of the post. We had been warned. There was no full-back on either post, just a line of defenders inside the pen area. Two minutes later, they got another corner. Did we put defenders on the line, even though we had an extra man. No. Had we learnt our lesson. No. Did Johnson get his head to the ball again. Yes. Where did it go? Just inside the post, this time. A whole line of defenders just standing watching. Terrible, terrible football. Naive schoolboy stuff. Where was the discipline drilled into them that men were needed on the line. Basic stuff and yet we didn't do it. Why...because the management hadn't rammed it down their throats that it was a necessary part of the game. Our organisation for defensive set pieces wasn't good enough. You can't just rely on players doing the right thing under pressure. It has to be drilled into them for hour after hour on the training ground until its second nature. Sadly, the previous regime did not spend enough time where it was most needed.
Two points just chucked away through sheer bad football. It could have been stopped and should have been stopped and ultimately, it made me question what was going on at our training ground. Even though we finished fourth last season, some of our tactical naivety amazed me and Wolves away was the worst example.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Wolves away was quite the most frustrating game I saw all last season. The game was won with Dobbie's late pen ( approx 89 mins ) to put us 3-2 up. Ten man Wolves then put us under pressure, early in added on time and gained a corner. Johnson got his head to the ball and it scraped past the outside of the post. We had been warned. There was no full-back on either post, just a line of defenders inside the pen area. Two minutes later, they got another corner. Did we put defenders on the line, even though we had an extra man. No. Had we learnt our lesson. No. Did Johnson get his head to the ball again. Yes. Where did it go? Just inside the post, this time. A whole line of defenders just standing watching. Terrible, terrible football. Naive schoolboy stuff. Where was the discipline drilled into them that men were needed on the line. Basic stuff and yet we didn't do it. Why...because the management hadn't rammed it down their throats that it was a necessary part of the game. Our organisation for defensive set pieces wasn't good enough. You can't just rely on players doing the right thing under pressure. It has to be drilled into them for hour after hour on the training ground until its second nature. Sadly, the previous regime did not spend enough time where it was most needed.
Two points just chucked away through sheer bad football. It could have been stopped and should have been stopped and ultimately, it made me question what was going on at our training ground. Even though we finished fourth last season, some of our tactical naivety amazed me and Wolves away was the worst example.

That game was frustrating for so many reasons - not least because we looked (and were) a class apart during the first half, until they scored (with their first attack). So totally in control they barely touched the ball. Should have really walked that game, 3 or 4 nil. Like so many matches last season (Bolton at home being the worst example) we looked superb in possession but didn't make our dominance count.

We did chuck away a hell of a lot of points, which in the end cost us dear. The more I think about it, the more it is obvious automatic promotion was there for the taking.

I wonder if that was the best opportunity we'll have for a while? Not convinced the squad is any stronger than last year (especially with Bridge gone) and who knows how things will turn out with Oscar. At least we will have Ulloa for the whole season, what a difference it made when he joined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here