Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So are Reading really a better project ?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
According to Gus Poyet...

Reading are a better project

"Everyone was agreed. Tony Bloom gave me permission to talk to the club. They made me an unbelievable offer, very difficult to refuse, and I was loyal and decided to stay.
"So how can you explain that somebody says to you he wants to leave and a week later he has got the chance to go to a Premiership club with a better deal, with a better project and he stays? It's not common sense, that's for sure.

Do you agree....

Personally I think he just did not want a relegation on his CV.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Personally, what was a massive respect for Poyet is slowly but surely dwindling away.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Who mentioned Reading?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Reading are a better prospect than us this season. He is right. The rest, not sure. I am still in a funk over all this as Poyet is a better manager than Garcia by a long way and I think that will be proved this season. So Poyet is stirring the pot, it is hardly a suprise is it ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Reading are us, just ten years ahead. Large and rapidly growing catchment area in the south-east of England, fanbase with disposable income, brand new stadium and money for players = inexorable rise up to the "promised land".

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Reading are a better project than us for as long as they have the benefit of Premier League parachute cash. It really is that simple as it completely changes the game.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think there are two questions there:

1) is reading a better project
2) is there a reason for gus not to go there other than loyalty

1) arguably, yes. They have established themselves in the championship, they have had a couple of seasons in the premier league that has financed a setup that is reaching for premier league stability, and more importantly they have just come down from the prem, will have a higher class of players and the parachute payment to reinforce for this coming season. They are us, but a few years ahead.

2) of course there are. The relegation, the lack of glamour, the possibility of other vacancies, the level of autonomy they offer may not be what gus wants, their wage and bonus offer may not be a big enough step up, their expectations may be higher, there may be a fear of becoming too established as a lower league manager rather than a young up and coming manager gaining experience, etc.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Whatever way you slice it Poyet is big shoes to fill. I am not sure Garcia is the Man to do this. It is a massive gamble. He got a team the league in 26 games in Israel. It is a different ball game here and the league is light years ahead of the Israel league and a thousand times more competative. Poyet moulded a team that were the best in the league for the second half of the season which had the joint lowest defeats and goals conceeded. It is a shame the wheels came off so spectacularly but I think the relationship between Poyet and Bloom was breaking down at the end of 2012, remember when one of our strikers, Barnes , I think, missed a one on one at Home and Poyet turned to look at Bloom and shrugged his shoulders. Bloom brought in Barber, maybe as a way of forcing Poyet's hand as they hate each other. I don't think either side have come out of it very well and Bloom is not infallible just because he has a bulging wallet.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Reading are us, just ten years ahead. Large and rapidly growing catchment area in the south-east of England, fanbase with disposable income, brand new stadium and money for players = inexorable rise up to the "promised land".

We haven't got a rapidly growing catchment area - 50% of our potential customers are fish and even northwards we have green belt up to our nearest growing customer rivals Crawley.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Whatever way you slice it Poyet is big shoes to fill. I am not sure Garcia is the Man to do this. It is a massive gamble. He got a team the league in 26 games in Israel. It is a different ball game here and the league is light years ahead of the Israel league and a thousand times more competative. Poyet moulded a team that were the best in the league for the second half of the year who had the joint lowest defeats and goals conceeded. It is a shame the wheels came off so spectacularly but I think the relationship between Poyet and Bloom was breaking down at the end of 2012, remember when one of our strikers, Barnes , I think, missed a one on one at Home and Poyet turned to look at Bloom and shrugged his shoulders. Bloom brought in Barber, maybe as a way of forcing Poyet's hand as they hate each other. I don't think either side have come out of it very well and Bloom is not infallible just because he has a bulging wallet.

Appointing Poyet in the first place was also a gamble. Appointing any manager is a gamble, even well established ones.

Give Oscar time and all will be well - his coaching credentials are better than Poyet's were before he joined us. Currently, I have no reason to believe that he will fail.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Who mentioned Reading?

The Argus.

"Reacting to chairman Tony Bloom saying Poyet told him in March he wanted to leave, the former Albion manager added: "It's very interesting. Tony Bloom needs to get over me. If it's true what he is saying, he is talking about before the Crystal Palace game (March 17). A week later I had an opportunity to leave for a Premiership club (Reading).

"Everyone was agreed. Tony Bloom gave me permission to talk to the club. They made me an unbelievable offer, very difficult to refuse, and I was loyal and decided to stay."

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Reading are a better prospect than us this season. He is right. The rest, not sure. I am still in a funk over all this as Poyet is a better manager than Garcia by a long way and I think that will be proved this season. So Poyet is stirring the pot, it is hardly a suprise is it ?
Strange call after just one league game, before making that judgement I would a least give him 10 games.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Time will tell.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Isn't it a little bit early to be making "Poyet is better than Garcia" statements? Let's give him a chance to get a few players in place and get the team to play his way. :ffsparr:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The fact is we should have gone up last season,quite comfortably and worry we won't get such a good opportunity again for years.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Yes, Reading is a better project with much greater likelihood in being promoted with both parachute payments and rich owners to support such a mission. It's not as romantic or classy in the longterm, but for the next few years it could well be filled with high drama and greater prospects.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here