Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newport County Boss 'Blasts' Oscar Garcia

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/.../newport-county-boss-justin-edinburgh-5582876

Newport County boss Justin Edinburgh has told Capital One Cup rival Oscar Garcia: “You don’t deserve a job in British football.”

County head to the South Coast on Tuesday night for their first League Cup game in over a quarter-of-a century and Edinburgh has lit the touchpaper on the tie with an astonishing dig at new Brighton boss Garcia.

The 40-year-old Spaniard was appointed as Gus Poyet’s successor in June after the Uruguayan left Brighton in acrimonious circumstances.

Garcia began his coaching career as Johan Cruyff’s assistant with the Catalonia team in 2009 and was appointed manager of Barcelona’s youth team the following year.

The former Barcelona, Valencia and Espanyol player then moved to Israel in May 2012, winning the title at Maccabi Tel Aviv before leaving in May citing “personal reasons.”

But Garcia’s coaching CV cuts little ice with Edinburgh, who believes some young British managers would have been better qualified to succeed Poyet at the Amex Stadium.

“A lot of foreign managers have done fantastically well in this country,” said Edinburgh, 43, who spent a decade in non-league management before finally getting into the Football League at Newport.

“But I see a lot of unknown managers come in and get jobs over English managers.

“I don’t know Garcia but, for me, there’s a lot of good, young managers here who have been successful that I feel could do a better job at Brighton than him – and that disappoints me.

“There’s no doubt that there’s a lot of good managers at non-league level who get overlooked.

“But I feel more people are giving successful managers at non-league a greater chance.

“I want to prove that there are young managers out there capable of managing in the Football League.

“And I’m pleased there a lot of young, English managers finally getting an opportunity, and hopefully that will continue.”

Edinburgh cut his managerial teeth at Billericay, Fisher Athletic, Grays and Rushden & Diamonds wondering whether he would ever get the chance to manage in the Football League.

He suspected his chance would only come if he took a club into the League, and that’s what happened when County were promoted via the Conference play-offs last May.

“It does become a bit frustrating when you see the same names linked with jobs and those people have failed,” said Edinburgh, who did attract some summer interest from League One club Swindon after the excellent job he has done at Rodney Parade.

“Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to fail.

“But you hope you’re going to get that next opportunity because of what you’ve done previously.

“I know you not always going to maintain success and then you look for that one opportunity.

“But you see some people get five, six, seven opportunities off one success.”

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What a ****ing idiot. Unknown manager ? Hope we stuff them 6-0

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What an odd article. I bet he didn't actually say that. The rest seems fair enough, so would be an extraordinary way to start an interview.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
“Don’t get me wrong, I’m going to fail"

That's the spirit

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I understand his point that it's hard for English managers to break through but having a little pop isn't a great way to go about it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Reminds me of Micky Adams when he was touting himself. All that guff about "I could do as well as these designer managers if I got the chance" Well he couldn't as it turned out.

Anyway it gives Tuesday's game a nice edge.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Maybe Justin could have thought about trying his hand at coaching abroad if he was frustrated by lack of job opportunities in Britain. Or maybe they have a better pedigree than simply being British.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
What an astonishingly unprovoked attack on our Ozzie. It's either mind games or jealousy. Either way, he's made himself look a tool

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Imagine the fans (NSC's) reaction to TB appointing Justine shithouse Edinburgh?

If he were good enough he wouldn't have spent 10 years in non-league.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Sounds more like he's having a dig at foreign managers in general, rather than at our boy. It's very easy to take a statement like that out of context

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think the headline spins the content to be honest.

Its more of a general comment about lack of opportunities for young English managers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stinks of bitterness and jealousy. Does Justin speak Spanish?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here