Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anybody else feel as though this may be a more TRANSITIONAL season?

Before I start this is not in any way based on ONE single defeat and I have been of the opinion for a while that we may finish mid to lower table this season. The league is stronger, we are pretty much the same squad although weaker at left back and lighter in midfield. Simply put, I don't understand how people tip us for the top two when collectively we are weaker and have had much less preparation PLUS, a new gaffer, yet to implement his style of play.

The main reason I say this is I can see come November we will be comfortable in mid table, Oscar still implementing his style on a team that has been so set in the "Play one way" tactics of Gus Poyet and people WILL get on his back. What does NSC think or is anything other than a top 6 finish going to be considered a failure?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the usual suspects response to today's defeat I am expecting the first Oscar out thread if we fail to beat Derby

From my perspective I pay to watch the Albion play and entertain me, I don't expect promotion but it would be nice to be in with a shout. However as long as the football is entertaining, which I think it will be, and we don't end up in a relegation battle I'll enjoy the season. It's not like the Championship is a shit league is it?

Breesy1

Mar 14, 2013
London/Hove
I'm expecting an 8/9th finish. It will be tougher but I don't think continuing to consolidate and build is a bad thing. Rome wasn't built in a day and all that...

There will be many a day like today. The reaction is ridiculous though

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
It's difficult to judge after one game but i have a funny feeling we will finish in mid-table this season. I guess that is to be expected with such wholsale changes in manager/backroom staff/players.

Jimmy boy 69

Nov 24, 2012
Brighton
Before I start this is not in any way based on ONE single defeat and I have been of the opinion for a while that we may finish mid to lower table this season. The league is stronger, we are pretty much the same squad although weaker at left back and lighter in midfield. Simply put, I don't understand how people tip us for the top two when collectively we are weaker and have had much less preparation PLUS, a new gaffer, yet to implement his style of play.

The main reason I say this is I can see come November we will be comfortable in mid table, Oscar still implementing his style on a team that has been so set in the "Play one way" tactics of Gus Poyet and people WILL get on his back. What does NSC think or is anything other than a top 6 finish going to be considered a failure?

Would your post still of been the same if we had won/ drew.....i wonder.....

spanishdave

Jul 30, 2013
Hove
yes, the league is harder and we went off on a rocky start but we need to see how we do at home next week. and we all need to get behind the albion instead of going on about us going down or finishing low in the league.
:albion2:

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I have the same feeling & I'm quite happy to give Oscar as much time as possible. Maybe a few glory hunters will wander off for a while, but let's face it, they'll be no loss.
Quite happy with the state of things, no need to panic.
That chap on the match day thread spitting the dummy is not really representative of most Albion fans I reckon.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

There is no comfortable mid table in this division, you're either in with a chance of the playoffs or you're fighting off relegation, we have only one option. Lets give it all a chance, but we must be aiming high again because if not its a relegation fight!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The " transitional " season mantra will become jaded quite soon.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I'm not going to make any rash predictions based on one unfortunate result. I will give it at least 10 games (say to the end of September or so) and then maybe we can get a glimpse of where we are going.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011

Chill out, everything is going to turn out ok, we will be up there at the end, Oscar will iron out the faults .

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I think it maybe a transitional season in the sense that these are not Oscars players. I think we may need to see what end of August brings and next summer. But, this team is still good enough to be in with a shout of top 6 and probably no lower than 10th.

I went today and was pleasantly surprised. Bearing in mind that we had quite a few players who are still feeling their way back i.e Bridcutt didnt have the best of games, maybe due to carrying an injury during the summer and Spanish Dave and Kemy both patently not match fit. Despite that we gave Leeds, who incidently played the best that they can, a very good match.

I'm optimistic. We will get better as time goes on. Winning games will of course help.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The man who should know expects us to bring in a couple of players and finish in the play offs and as he controls the purse strings at the club I will go along with his view.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Think that we may start slowly as players adjust to style etc but will pick up november time and have shout at playoffs. Problem is with so many ****le fans, look at todays reaction, will oscar be given time by them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dropping 3 points today does put a hole in my prediction.

Champions by January, instead.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Maccabi Tel Aviv were not that good for their first 6-7 games then started to win almost every game after the players adapted to OG's style apparently.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here