Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Agustien ready to make the most of his big decision [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Agustien ready to make the most of his big decision[/h]12:00pm Saturday 3rd August 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2571259.jpg
Kemy Agustien
Kemy Agustien has taken a drop in wages and drop in standard in search of regular first team football with Albion.
A chat with head coach Oscar Garcia convinced the powerful Dutch midfielder The Amex is the best place for him to kick-start his career in England following frustration at Swansea.
Agustien finally completed his free transfer switch from the Welsh Premier League club this week on a two-year contract after confirmation of his move was bogged down in paperwork.
Albion faced plenty of competition in landing the 26-year-old, who made 18 bit-part appearances for the Swans in the Premier League last season, including a starring role against Manchester United.
Agustien revealed to The Argus: “It came from anywhere, from England and some Premiership clubs, some in the Championship, some abroad. I think there was even one who are playing in the Champions League.
“But on the other side it’s not about money. Money is important in life but if you are not playing it doesn’t mean anything for me personally and I just want to play.
“I think this is a good area, good guys to be around and start playing football. That’s the main thing.
“Money can make you happy but if you cannot do what you would like to do, nothing can fight against that. I just want to play week in, week out. Hopefully that can start here.”
The writing was on the wall for Agustien at the Liberty Stadium earlier this summer when Michael Laudrup signed Jose Canas and Jonjo Shelvey. He was left out of the Swans’ pre-season tour to Holland and, with a year left on his contract, was free to find another club.
Face-to-face talks with head coach Oscar during Albion’s trip to Spain last month played a big part in the former Birmingham and Crystal Palace loanee’s decision.
Agustien said: “We had a conversation and it was the first time I really spoke with the manager like this, one-to-one, before I even signed. I just want to think about how the manager thinks he wants to play.
“That was one of the biggest reasons I wanted to come here. Everybody can say it is a step backwards but for me it is a step forwards, because of the way they play and the way I can show myself week in and week out. That’s the main thing.”
Agustien is playing catch-up with his fitness and sharpness. A 45-minute run-out in the second half of Tuesday’s friendly against Norwich at The Amex was his first match action since April.
He will begin an intensive programme under the guidance of fitness coach Juan Torrijo to bring him up to speed once Albion’s hectic start to the season eases.
Agustien said: “It’s been hard, because the sessions are hard already. We’ve got a game now (at Leeds) and a game Tuesday (home to Newport), so it’s difficult to start my own programme.
“But as soon as the season starts with one game once a week I will start a fitness programme. I will be in every day of every week and hopefully be ready in two or three weeks. But the best way to get your fitness is game time, so we will see what is going to happen.”
The arrival of Agustien, who can play anywhere in midfield and likes to get forward, has re-strengthened that department of the team together with the re-signing of David Lopez.
Oscar said: “He has experience in the Premier League with Swansea and his technical level, experience and confidence with the ball will help us a lot with the way we want to play.
“We will work with him, because he is not fit enough to play 90 minutes at the moment, but he wants to be fit as soon as possible and, with our fitness coaches, I don’t think it will take much time.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here