Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A pride of seagulls

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
The Argus asked me to write a poem for Pride, so I did. Then as is so often the case they completely f***ed up the way it was laid out and made me look like an idiot. So I thought I'd put the proper version on here, so that you can see that before you decide whether I'm an idiot or not :) Ironic that we're playing Leeds today, since they are probably the worst! And why won't NSC let me put the title of the poem in capitals as a thread starter? That makes me look a bit of an idiot too...

A PRIDE OF SEAGULLS

You flood our friendly city’s streets
In a flamboyant tide
We welcome you and celebrate
The glory that is Pride.

Yes, we can see you holding hands.
It’s not that hard to tell!
Your boyfriends know that you are here -
Because they’re here as well.

We’re in the twenty-first century.
It’s all quite normal. Yet
Some sing such chants at Brighton fans
And think we’ll be upset......

Oh, Oscar Wilde! Such cutting wit!
No need to have them muzzled.
It’s far more fun to fling ‘em back
And see the morons puzzled.

Thus: ‘You’re too ugly to be gay’
We sing. They are perplexed.
And ‘One nil to the nancy boys’
Just leaves them doubly vexed.

Yes, we are Brighton, from the South.
I’m sure that most will say
Proud of our city and our club -
And proud for you today.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
I'd like to see a poem using the correct collective noun - a squabble of seagulls. Would certainly work well for NSC...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
It would be a good effort if it was an eleven year old's homework. I thought you did this stuff for a living?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I remember my late father saying he'd had a poem accepted for publication, and that they would FORMAT it ??? WTF!! I'm with you that poems should be reproduced verbatim, and can fully understand the Arsegas just WOULD'NT be able to grasp that :nono:

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I do. And part of my job (which I absolutely love) is taking on the chin the fact that some people think what I do is rubbish, precisely because enough other people enjoy it for me to make a living out of it :)

Seen you enough times to enjoy most of your work. Shame you don't tour NZ :)

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Thus: ‘You’re too ugly to be gay’
We sing. They are perplexed.
And ‘One nil to the nancy boys’
Just leaves them doubly vexed.:lolol:

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Seen you enough times to enjoy most of your work. Shame you don't tour NZ :)
Have done, 3 times. Last time 2011. The first time (1991) both national TV channels turned out to film me arriving at the airport (I couldn't believe it) and I had a full page article in the New Zealand Herald. To put this in perspective, it was sandwiched between a large 'news' item about an argument between two neighbours about who was responsible for cutting a tree down, and about 100 pages of 'fat sheep prices'. I know my place :)
Should be back there next year, always had a great time...last time played the Thirsty Dog in Ponsonby (Auckland), Hamilton, New Plymouth and ..erm...somewhere else, but was only there for 5 days in the middle of an Aussie tour. Next time hope to tour both islands for a couple of weeks :)

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I do. And part of my job (which I absolutely love) is taking on the chin the fact that some people think what I do is rubbish, precisely because enough other people enjoy it for me to make a living out of it :)

Top work that man :lolol:
Looking forward to reading Commander's superior effort :rolleyes:

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Have done, 3 times. Last time 2011. The first time (1991) both national TV channels turned out to film me arriving at the airport (I couldn't believe it) and I had a full page article in the New Zealand Herald. To put this in perspective, it was sandwiched between a large 'news' item about an argument between two neighbours about who was responsible for cutting a tree down, and about 100 pages of 'fat sheep prices'. I know my place :)
Should be back there next year, always had a great time...last time played the Thirsty Dog in Ponsonby (Auckland), Hamilton, New Plymouth and ..erm...somewhere else, but was only there for 5 days in the middle of an Aussie tour. Next time hope to tour both islands for a couple of weeks :)

Try the West coast of the south island next time :) wet but beautiful.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Top work that man :lolol:
Looking forward to reading Commander's superior effort :rolleyes:

Er, Commander isn't a professional poet! You have to admit that one was pretty poor. Some of his stuff is good, but come on.

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Great poem and sentiment.

Humour and tolerence are far better responses than the po-faced indignation others have tried to stir up in the past few months.

I've often thought that it would be really funny if our equivilent of the Posnan could be all the Albion fans responding with "can you see us holding hands?" and all holding hands in the air. Could be spectacular!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Usual leftie bollox

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here