Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Political Correctness

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
What exactly is it, and do we need it?

I'm wringing my hands considering my answer.

In case it offends anyone???

It's a caricature created by the New Right to ridicule clumsy attempts to re-frame the English language in a non-prejudicial way, in a bid by the New Right to drive through a sexist, racist, xenophobic agenda.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
It's a caricature created by the right to ridicule clumsy attempts to re-frame the English language in a non-prejudicial way, in a bid by the right to drive through a sexist, racist, xenophobic agenda.

Could not have put it any worse myself.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's a caricature created by the New Right to ridicule clumsy attempts to re-frame the English language in a non-prejudicial way, in a bid by the New Right to drive through a sexist, racist, xenophobic agenda.

so are you saying that it doesnt exist? there are no attempts to alter language to be overtly and pointedly non-prejudicial?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

It's nothing more than someone else's manners/politeness/curtesies you don't happen to like. So a pretty meaningless term

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Because in reality it is the self important loud minority who love to be offended on behalf of other people.

The reality is that the 'self important loud minority' who bang on about political correctness are usually hostile to it.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
It's not being a dick. Yes we do need it - too many people are dicks to others.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
so are you saying that it doesnt exist? there are no attempts to alter language to be overtly and pointedly non-prejudicial?

No, that's not not what I'm saying. Language is a fluid thing that changes over time. What I'm saying is that sometimes when new terms are developed in a way designed to remove negative connotations, they can be verbose or inelegant. For example, I remember someone on NSC saying how a friend in the police force referred to a player as 'dual heritage' rather than 'mixed race.' But the ridiculing of a clumsy new term shouldn't detract from the fact that trying to get beyond old prejudices within language is a worthwhile goal.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Political Correctness was introduced by the Labour party. You mustn't insult the minority groups or other faiths. The left wing nutters will defend the term as some kind of god but all political correctness does is offend the majority but that's ok.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It is an attempt by the non-liberal left to stifle free-speech.

I contend that more attempts to shut down debate in the media have been made by the right labelling something as 'politically correct' or the 'Looney Left.'

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... For example, I remember someone on NSC saying how a friend in the police force referred to a player as 'dual heritage' rather than 'mixed race.' But the ridiculing of a clumsy new term shouldn't detract from the fact that trying to get beyond old prejudices within language is a worthwhile goal.

the example shows how the attempts to rid prejudices, and be seen to do so, become more important than addressing the prejudices. it opens up the original objective to ridicule where there shouldnt be. it has certainly become a caricature but of its own making, not those opposed to it. pretending that its just "New Right" what ever that is, or that anyone against policital correctness is by default sexist, racist, etc is just a stick to beat people with and ironically a tad prejudice itself.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Those who use the word "pc" (other than in a computing sense) are almost always something-ist.
Newsflash: Speech aint free, kiddies.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I contend that more attempts to shut down debate in the media have been made by the right labelling something as 'politically correct' or the 'Looney Left.'

Try having a debate with a member of the SWP.

Political correctness is in an attempt to stifle anything that could be seen as prejudice. Which is infact, a barrier to free-speech. Of course we shouldn't go around calling people 'paki' et al. But the measures that have been made by organisations, are often seen as ridiculous as they often ignore the context of the use of the word itself.

I was once called a bigot and a 'disablist' because I used the word 'idiot' on twitter. Because of the origins of the word, they immediately jumped on me and attempted to shut me up. Despite the modern usage of the word is to comment on someone's intelligence. That's PC gone mad.

Political correctness is indeed a subjective matter, and only the context of the words being used should be called into question (not banned) when debating it, because otherwise we'll live in a society here everyone is afraid of insulting one another. The British sense of humour is known for its sarcasm, irony and piss-taking nature. It's inevitable that certain prejudices may exist in comedy, television, radio etc etc. But we should apply the context of the word. Otherwise, we might as well carry around a leaflet explaining what not to say in x situation.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
Watch your thoughts - they become words
Watch your words - they become actions
Watch your actions - they become habits
Watch your habits -they become your Character
Watch your character - it becomes your destiny

Your are what you think

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
Try having a debate with a member of the SWP.

Political correctness is in an attempt to stifle anything that could be seen as prejudice. Which is infact, a barrier to free-speech. Of course we shouldn't go around calling people 'paki' et al. But the measures that have been made by organisations, are often seen as ridiculous as they often ignore the context of the use of the word itself.

I was once called a bigot and a 'disablist' because I used the word 'idiot' on twitter. Because of the origins of the word, they immediately jumped on me and attempted to shut me up. Despite the modern usage of the word is to comment on someone's intelligence. That's PC gone mad.

Political correctness is indeed a subjective matter, and only the context of the words being used should be called into question (not banned) when debating it, because otherwise we'll live in a society here everyone is afraid of insulting one another. The British sense of humour is known for its sarcasm, irony and piss-taking nature. It's inevitable that certain prejudices may exist in comedy, television, radio etc etc. But we should apply the context of the word. Otherwise, we might as well carry around a leaflet explaining what not to say in x situation.

I very rarely comment on where I live on threads like this. But as an eye opener for those who aren't of Afro-Caribbean or African ethnicity. In a strange world Afro-Caribbean people judge Africans as sub to them. As in, they are educated whereas an African is stupid and a pointless N. If you travel on buses in London, an argument between a non paying customer and bus driver may well result in the use of the N word. The majority of drivers are African so go figure who makes the comment. A word we quite correctly decided to make illegal.

Political correctness has gone mad. It only works if you take the political part out of it and have a law for all based on rational sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here