Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bees

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Interesting programme on BBC2 about their decline. The University of Reading have calculated they are worth 1.9 Billion to the UK economy.

That's the cost of the pollination they currently do unpaid.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is worrying, my Fagiolo di Spagna white seeded beans are not being pollinated, maybee I need some of those Italian Bees ?

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Interesting programme on BBC2 about their decline. The University of Reading have calculated they are worth 1.9 Billion to the UK economy.

That's the cost of the pollination they currently do unpaid.

Just watched this and you don't realise how much we them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It is worrying, my Fagiolo di Spagna white seeded beans are not being pollinated, maybee I need some of those Italian Bees ?

I try.

Thought I was very lucky for a couple of years when bumble bees built a near under my fence for a couple of years. Amazing watching them come home at night.

I've constructed a home in a bed under the ground. Nothing yet, but fingers crossed.

Seem to have more butterflies this year though.

Bloke at work was asking me how to get rid of them (bees) and anything else flying round in the house.

Obviously means wasps.

Never quite understood why people are obsessed with these things, but I suggested feed the birds. I've started in anger in the last couple of years. I knew it was working when I saw this robin land a couple of metres away from me on the patio. Looked at me as if to say, yes mate this is how it works. Proceeded to jump into the plants and fly off with a green nasty in it's mouth.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I try.

Thought I was very lucky for a couple of years when bumble bees built a near under my fence for a couple of years. Amazing watching them come home at night.

I've constructed a home in a bed under the ground. Nothing yet, but fingers crossed.

Seem to have more butterflies this year though.

For the last few years in May, I have had quite a lot of mostly black large bees tunneling in to the soil in the dry ground under the cover of the eaves of my roof. They seem to be breeding there but all disappear by June. It does not seem to be a hive just a breeding ground for a month. Sadly, this year there were a lot fewer than normal.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Btw My French and runner beans are doing well.

My Frenchies and Runners are fine, branched out into White , Cannellini and Borlotti Beans this year with poor results.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
For the last few years in May, I have had quite a lot of mostly black large bees tunneling in to the soil in the dry ground under the cover of the eaves of my roof. They seem to be breeding there but all disappear by June. It doe not seem to be a hive just a breeding ground for a month. Sadly, this year there were a lot fewer than normal.

My mum feeds them. I've often seen her bring an early or late dozy one back to life with some sugar or homey.

I went on a bee identification thing once through work. I'm sure you know, but for the benefit of those who don't it's really important to get the right plants in. What I didn't realise is that it's all about perching. Same with butterflies.

Now a true story and of the weirdest and funniest things I've seen.

Went go a butterfly house in London where they soak plastic pan scourers in glucose for the butterflies. Easy to perch on apparently and attatracted by the bright colour.

While we were there a woman came in with a knitted bun on the back of her hair in a similar luminous colour. You can imagine what happened and even the staff were amazed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Success this year ? Not much, tomatoes rubbish but tons of Chillies.

I've also got some cultivated blackberry in a pot that is going great guns. Again learn from mistakes and I wish I'd put a few things in LATE.

Still stand by my chillie tip though. START THEM AT CHRISTMAS.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I left a portion of my garden grow wild this year and the bees & butterflies have greatly increased in number.They particularly like the scottish thistle.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Success this year ? Not much, tomatoes rubbish but tons of Chillies.

I've also got some cultivated blackberry in a pot that is going great guns. Again learn from mistakes and I wish I'd put a few things in LATE.

Still stand by my chillie tip though. START THEM AT CHRISTMAS.

Or, try overwintering them. Had a Goat's Horn Chilli that overwintered and it is streets ahead of all the seed grown varieties.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
There are loads of bees in the lavender bushes up the road from me :thumbsup:

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
I've left a patch of my garden go wild, in the fact that i dont cut the grass there or weed. Have plenty of wild plants there and the bee's love it. I do everything i can to encourage them into my garden. Afterall without them we would be up the creek without a paddle.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I watched it, very interesting. Had loads of bumbles nesting this year, but very few mining type bees. The sedum spectibile will be in flower soon, that is usually smothered in honey bees all day long.
Another strange occurrence, very little activity on my buddleia, bee and butterfly wise. I'll sort out some more bee friendly stuff for next year....but not lavender, it smells like old ladies knicker drawers!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've seen loads more bees this year than in the last few summers.

Which is a good thing I'm sure. I quite like bees. Not wasps though. Wasps can all get smacked as far as I'm concerned.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I like them, and we've got gazillions this year as our lavender is going like wildfire

Tom's are pathetic, chile's seem to have got blight, but runner beans and peas producing at industrial rate (all down to Mrs, I cut grass)

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
if you've got veg that needs pollenating by insects, get some suitable flowers dotted in among the veg. Don't go for anything too flash....bright colours are good but choose single flowers over the double blooms we get. Cosmos, single dahlias, perennial geraniums, single flowered marigolds, lavender, sunflowers etc. If you want to see a good example of some stunning, insect friendly planting, have a look at the old stein in brighton...just superb.

Probably one of the better recent years for bees, some of my plants at the rockery have been smothered especially the lavender and geranium johnsons blue. Also seen a good selection of butterflies....especially large whites.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here