Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I am interested in whether the very negative view of Portsmouth held on here by many posters has changed in recent months.

Over many years there has been some incredibly self-righteous stuff posted on here about Pompey. This was usually along the lines of 'how stupid were they, how could they not know what the board were doing, they should have done this/that/the other, they just went along with the good times and stopped asking questions, they totally deserve it, brought it on themselves, they should have been more like us...etc etc '. You get the drift.

Personally I never agreed with that anyway. I am not sure how they could have known, at least the extent of the financial mismanagement. And even if they did, it is far from clear exactly what they could have done about it at that time, with owners valuing the business in the tens of millions.

And even that is not getting in to the comparison of exactly what we know about Bloom's finances. I trust the bloke totally, but I don't know anything about the precise details of his money. Nor, in all honesty, am I expecting to any time soon.

Obviously now things are different at Fratton Park. After two administrations and various catastrophes on and off the pitch they are a majority-owned community/supporters trust club. The biggest ever in this country. They have been liaising with Lewes on all manner of issues in this regard. Fans have donated, made pledges, and bought £1,000 shares (to value of around £2.5 million and counting).

They have well over 10,000 STHs this season in League Two. They will set a new Lg Two (at least post 2004) record tomorrow, 18,000-plus against Oxford.

Have they yet gone from being NSC pariahs to being the way to run a community football club?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Eh?
Disgustingly mis-managed. Should have been booted out the league (or gone under) years ago.
Arrogant and misguided fans.
Whilst it's good to see supporters own clubs, any 'success' they have this year will no doubt bring on the boasts of being "too big" for that league. I see they've been buying players all over the shop. You'd think they'd be more careful, considering their history.

Hope they fail miserably :)

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
My loathing of Portsmouth dates back further than my hatred for Palace. So, no matter what changes they have effected at Fratton Park, I still don't like them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst their current setup is clearly admirable, the fact is, that never once, in all the years of PFC's troubles, and subsequent rebirth, have I EVER met ONE single Portsmouth fan who has expressed one bit of shame over their actions. And because of where I live, I meet a fair few. For that reason, I'm happy for them to suffer for a good while yet.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whilst their current setup is clearly admirable, the fact is, that never once, in all the years of PFC's troubles, and subsequent rebirth, have I EVER met ONE single Portsmouth fan who has expressed one bit of shame over their actions. And because of where I live, I meet a fair few. For that reason, I'm happy for them to suffer for a good while yet.

100% this. The continued arrogance of many of their fans is staggering.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
100% this. The continued arrogance of many of their fans is staggering.

Playing Devils Advocate here slightly...but these 'arrogant fans who just enjoyed the good times'. Seen any at The Amex? I have.

And wouldn't fans/local media slightly more on the ball have realised there was a massive rift at our club from March onwards?

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
I think you will find that most clubs dislike them especially on the south coast because for years they would spout their self righteous bile about how they were the best supported club and had the best supporters ,the best team on the south coast and how they were in the prema donna league and what they had won .All this was done on the backs of business and various people who they didnt pay ,who incidentally many have gone to the wall because of it etc etc paying huge wages when they could not afford to ,I could go on but this has been posted to death over the years ,but not once but twice and the sanctimonious prigs still think their sh*ite doesnt stink . Perhaps they will go on to be promoted and have an excellent squad and make it back up the divisions but hopefully they will do it with their own money this time .

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
no. not at all. deserved worse tbh but somehow got away with it.

Agree with Tooting Gull. Will be interesting to see how far they get as a fans run club. AFC Wimbledon have run out of steam and look like to have plateau'd on League 2 because they cant get beyond 4,000 fans, so we need to see how the alternative model to rich owners works with a bigger supported club. I hope it works well, German football is run better than English football because of ownership structure.

As for people wishing eternal ill on them because of their crap former owners, words fail me given our history.

D

Deleted member 18477

I nearly hate Portsmouth as much as Palace. Closely followed by Reading, Southampton and John Terry FC.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As for people wishing eternal ill on them because of their crap former owners, words fail me given our history.

Who has said that, exactly? I'm wishing a bit more pain on them because of their shameless, arrogant, unrepentant fans, rather than their crooked former owners.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

My loathing of Portsmouth dates back further than my hatred for Palace. So, no matter what changes they have effected at Fratton Park, I still don't like them.

I still HATE them and always will.

And the pricks have got off lightly.

no. not at all. deserved worse tbh but somehow got away with it.

They cheated and should not be in the league.

All these and why would anyone ever like Portsmouth horrible, horrible club.

Lost most of their pre season friendlies apparently......................long may it continue.

:banana::clap:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Pompey are like those athletes that only get to the top because they've taken performance-enhancing drugs. Now they've failed the drugs test and suffered a three year ban am I supposed to feel good now they're clean?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

This is the point the OP should understand. It's the "couldn't give a shit" attitude of a lot of their fans SINCE the first administration.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This is the point the OP should understand. It's the "couldn't give a shit" attitude of a lot of their fans SINCE the first administration.

Their attitude was actually WORSE than that. Even when the scale of the club's wrongdoing and mismanagement became clear, they still felt hugely aggrieved that the authorities DARED to impose any sanction against them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Pompey are like those athletes that only get to the top because they've taken performance-enhancing drugs. Now they've failed the drugs test and suffered a three year ban am I supposed to feel good now they're clean?

Excellent analogy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here