Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New season: everyone got their Shoot! magazine league ladders at the ready?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Who had some of THESE as a child? I can't have been alone in always starting the season with the Albion at the top, and the rest in alphabetical order.

I'd maintain the tables for a few weeks (back in the 1980s I don't think the BBC even published tables until at least three or four rounds of fixtures had been played), and then rapidly lose interest and give up.

league_ladders.jpg

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
My son got one this season in his match magazine, you can see the Brighton one in my avatar :)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
My son got one this season in his match magazine, you can see the Brighton one in my avatar :)

Does Shoot! still exist then? I must say, I think I assumed it had died a death in the face of Playstations and so on.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Yup, sad to say I was an avid league maintainer as a youth - I've broadened my horizons a bit since then thank god!!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Oops I stand corrected, he gets MATCH every week :lol:

My mistake, not yours, reading back you did quite clearly say Match.

Oh, and I'd always put Palace bottom of the league to start with too, naturally.

Last edited:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The BBC and Sky showing league tables now after one game really narks me. What point does it actually make? How can the presenters keep a serious tone? Bolton were top after they won 5-0 at QPR two seasons ago and were relegated. Twenty years ago, tables weren't shown until at least two or three games had been played.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The BBC and Sky showing league tables now after one game really narks me. What point does it actually make? How can the presenters keep a serious tone? Bolton were top after they won 5-0 at QPR two seasons ago and were relegated. Twenty years ago, tables weren't shown until at least two or three games had been played.

Just more SkySports-invented hype. Does anybody have a crisis at being bottom of the league after one game?

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Great stuff! I tried doing this occasionally as a lad. Glad to hear they're still popular enough to be made. This seasons' would be a welcome feature on my desk at work.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Just more SkySports-invented hype. Does anybody have a crisis at being bottom of the league after one game?

We will find out Saturday evening when Leeds prop up the table with a horrendous minus goal difference.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I wonder if QPR are this season's Leeds as far as the TV companies are concerned. I note that the Football League Show has already selected the QPR game tomorrow as their main game.

First of many, no doubt.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
After the 'kids' footy mags, I graduated to World Soccer in '92, which of course mostly shows top division teams in each country. I was glad to see super BHA got a mention in the latest issue, due to the capture of OG as our new head coach. It would be great if he can work his magic, and we feature in it regularly, by going up :)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
excited.jpg

el punal

Going back even further, the 1960s, you could get Charles Buchan's Football Monthly, the Football Star and football related comics like Tiger (with Roy Of the Rovers), the Victor (which had the superb Gorgeous Gus).

I remember getting the league ladders as a free gift in one publication but can't remember which one.

Showing my age here - some of the "inserts" were clubs like Barrow, Southport, Bradford Park Avenue, Swansea TOWN. Re-election always, relegation never!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
They were a clever marketing ploy of course as well

After the closed season, they would give the ladders in an early-July issue, then give the Divisional tabs over probably four weeks, meaning you would hopefully, for them, keep buying the mag through the season ???

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I got one of the Shoot! league ladders in about 1980 or so and kept it for the next 5 or 6 years - even used to play a game where the two teams next to each other in the table would play each other with a score decided by dice and the winner would go up a couple of places and the losers dropping similarly. I didn't get out much as a kid :D :D :p

My 6-year-old has just put this up on his bedroom wall. He has to beat my boyhood record of two week's interest in them :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here